• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of growing pome fruits, including apples, pears and other pome fruits, discuss varieties and how to store, prepare and process pome fruits.

Re: tree rats eating fruit trees in suburbia

Postby Rasmussj » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Rasmussj

Climate Zone: 8b
Caught 2 rats in gopher traps and had one die today on my patio. Making progress, you just need to keep at it.

Postby Unkledon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:42 am

Unkledon

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
I just joined the group, so my post is months late, but I have some info to add. I moved here (Santa Cruz, CA) 35 years ago and we had these wood rat (aka pack rat -- nests) nests both in the oak trees and in big piles of twigs on the ground.

(As an aside, in a wilderness class once, the instructor reached into the center of one of these nests on the ground and pulled out fluff that made perfect tinder to start a fire.)

But I digress. The ag commissioner told me to take an old tire and drill a three inch hole in the tread, place poison inside, and put a piece of plywwood over the top. These days they make ground squirrel bait stations that do the same thing.

The rats had been eating all the fruit spurs on my golden delicious and my pineapple guava. They also stripped the bark off of a loquat. I now have a ground squirrel bait station that I just keep filled with poison and rotate around my orchards and garden. The bait keeps disappearing and my trees haven't been stripped.

Don

Postby Nicolafig » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:38 am

Nicolafig

Climate Zone: sunset 17.USDA 9
I have such high drama going on ----Sierra Northern Rail Road had Davey Tree Co. come and cut all the trees to the ground in the name of protecting the power lines. This has exposed my property entirely to the public!! But I digress! OK there was a big rat nest. But there are these nests the whole way down this wild life/ rail road corridor. Thankyou so much for the feedback. Spring will still be an issue--when they eat all new growth. I am squeezy about poison, but I think I will make a station. I am in Rio del Mar.

Previous

Return to Apples pears, and other pome fruits

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:51 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login