• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum about growing citrus and tending citrus orchards, discuss the myriads of citrus varieties, and cooking and processing citrus fruit

Soil for Meyer Lemon

Postby Tovis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Tovis

Climate Zone: 5b
I am getting a bare root Meyer Lemon tree in the mail soon.

I'd like to mix 50% Coarse Sand with 50% Roots Organic Potting Mix. The sand would help keep the roots from rotting. Is this a good idea, how do others mix soil for Citrus?

Re: Soil for Meyer Lemon

Postby pachinko799 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:55 am

pachinko799

Climate Zone: sunset zone 17
I have one lemon and a gold nugget tree in 100% Roots Organic and they are doing great. I really like their soil mixes. I think the addition of 25% sand would greatly help the drainage and use of wicks in the drain holes too. The lemon has been in the mix for 1 year now and is loaded with lemons right now.

I also have a cara cara and a meyer lemon in a mix of Roots organic and coconut husk chips and this seems to be working better for the trees but only in the pots a couple months now. No signs of stress. It's hard to tell when they need to be watered with this mix but when I over water it is very forgiving. I'm growing my tomatoes in this mix this year and they are thriving. Rarely need to water as often.

Postby pachinko799 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:01 am

pachinko799

I have my trees in pots, if they are going in the ground I would skip the Roots Organic mix.

Postby Tovis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:05 am

Tovis

Thanks I'll give that a try :-)

I purchased sand, one bag is like tiny pebbles, and one looks like beach sand. Which type is best to use?

Postby pachinko799 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:45 am

pachinko799

I would go with the beach sand and rinse it out real good a few times in case there is any salt in it. I have access to really fine grit crushed granite which works better for me but don't know where you can get that except maybe a place like Lyngso in Redwood City or something. I'm not an expert at container citrus so hopefully someone else on the board can chime in for another opinion.

Postby Tovis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:55 am

Tovis

I live in Michigan, so planting it in the ground is not an option. I put about 20-25% sand in with the roots organic. What humidity do you keep yours at?

Postby Axel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:21 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Tovis, don't worry about the humidity. Citrus will grow out in the desert, there are very large citrus trees all over Phoenix and Tucson Arizona, both have humidity levels that run much drier than your indoor conditions.

If you want to give your citrus good care, just give it a good misting once a day. But don't worry about putting it into an indoor greenhouse, you will just cause problems with diseases. The drier conditions are better for the citrus.

Postby Tovis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:31 am

Tovis

Oh really? Maybe I'll do that and just put it in a window. I assumed since florida and the Mediterranean are humid that it would like humidity.

Postby Axel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:40 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
Well, the Mediterranean is dry, not humid, and most of the best citrus is grown in dry Mediterranean climates. So you will definitely do fine without the humidly. Really, the only plant you have listed that needs serious warmth and humidity is the cacao, which will do fine in your greenhouse enclosure.

Postby Tovis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:43 am

Tovis

Thanks a million!

Return to Citrus and Citrus Orchards

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:55 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login