• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum about growing citrus and tending citrus orchards, discuss the myriads of citrus varieties, and cooking and processing citrus fruit

sweet lemon varieties

Postby heritagegarden » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:26 pm

heritagegarden

Climate Zone: 9
Hi:
I have been wanting a sweet lemon tree (sweet lime?) and would like some feedback on the different varieties that I have read about: I am not sure if they are all the same, or different.
Would appreciate hearing your recommendation, especially how they taste

1)pomona sweet lemon(lime?)
2)palestine sweet lime
3)Mexican sweet lime
4)Millsweet Acidless Limetta
5)Mary Ellen sweet lime

I have bought what I think are Mary Ellens in Mexican markets. They have a slightly bitter taste to them. But I don't believe I have tasted others listed above.

Thanks!

Re: sweet lemon varieties

Postby J.Valenzuela,Novato » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm

J.Valenzuela,Novato
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15-16
Falling in love with the 'Lima dulce' in my travels in Mexico in the '80s, I also wanted to sort out all the related cultivars of Citrus limetta.

So, I am trialing all those varieties mentioned (excepting 'Mexican'), plus 'Marrakech Limonette ' and 'Lima' (perhaps an acidless orange?), all from the CCPP.

So far, I have only had the 'Palestine sweet lime' bear for me, but I am having trouble with rats stealing all the fruits.

I have used this website to help me sort them out in my mind:
http://users.kymp.net/citruspages/limes.html#limetta

Who has tasted all them side by side?

JV

Postby heritagegarden » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 pm

heritagegarden

Jv: Thanks! Please post again when you've tasted them all and can share your feedback!

Postby Axel » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:08 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: sunset 15/USDA 9b
heritagegarden wrote:Hi:
I have been wanting a sweet lemon tree (sweet lime?) and would like some feedback on the different varieties that I have read about: I am not sure if they are all the same, or different.
Would appreciate hearing your recommendation, especially how they taste

1)pomona sweet lemon(lime?)
2)palestine sweet lime
3)Mexican sweet lime
4)Millsweet Acidless Limetta
5)Mary Ellen sweet lime

I have bought what I think are Mary Ellens in Mexican markets. They have a slightly bitter taste to them. But I don't believe I have tasted others listed above.

Thanks!

I share John's enthusiasm for the acidless citrus. My favorite acidless citrus is the vaniglia, a vanilla flavored pink fleshed acidless orange.

On the lemons/limes you listed, I've tasted all of these. 1), 3) an 4) are not really sweet, rather they are low acid lemon/limes. The only true acideless limes in the bunch are the palestine sweet lime and the mary ellen sweet lime. The palestine sweet lime is what is commonly available in the ethnic stores and has some bitterness.

That leaves Mary Ellen, which is definitely the best tasting sweet lime I've had.

Postby heritagegarden » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:43 pm

heritagegarden

Thank you very much! Now the next question: where to procure a Mary Ellen, as well as a vanigilia?

Postby heritagegarden » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 pm

heritagegarden

Also, Alex, where can one go to taste the limetta varieties? I'd like to try some before settling on one variety.

Thanks!

Postby J.Valenzuela,Novato » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:42 am

J.Valenzuela,Novato
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15-16
I agree with Axel, Vaniglia Sanguigno is so unique!

I ate a couple this year (from more grafts of CCPP material), like nothing you have ever had- Mild and subtle, and yes vanilla!
JV

Postby DavidLJ48 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Back to plain sweet limes, that you can grow or find in flea and regular markets. I have found them insipid, but don't know what varieties they are. Just a hint of sweetness and flavor drives me crazy. I eat one and they are OK, but the more I eat, the more they are not satisfying me, and then I want my taste fix, which they cannot deliver.

After that, I guess I feel like Christ when he was hungry and came upon the barren fig tree, which he cursed, before walking further on.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby ellen in berkeley » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 am

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
I have run across Millsweet ( I think it was, it matched description and pictures). I don't recall that I tried to eat it. I made marmalade with it, which I didn't care for because of the lack of tartness. (It was good on yogurt.)
However, the peel was amazingly fragrant and perfumy, rather like a bergamot. It would be wonderful grated as a seasoning or as candied peel, or added to a marmalade of other citrus.

Return to Citrus and Citrus Orchards

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:05 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login