• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Share your favorite ways to prepare your harvests: Tropical smoothies, canning fruit and vegetables, where to find exotic fruits, cooking with fruits and vegetables

Anyone have a recipe for tamarillo/tomato tree fruit?

Postby Axel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
I am getting inundated with tamarillos, but I don't really like them raw. Is there anything that can be baked or cooked with these things?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Re: Anyone have a recipe for tamarillo/tomato tree fruit?

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Don't know but since they are so popular and touted in New Zealand try their official site:
http://www.tamarillo.com/

Postby cyclonenat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:06 pm

cyclonenat

Climate Zone: Invercargill
Hi here in New Zealand we peel them and put sugar with them yummy and leave them in the fridge overnight yummy on cereal etc

Postby ellen in berkeley » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:43 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
what are they doing ripening now? mine are ready in december. they make great christmas ornaments.
i tried using them as a fish sauce base, but my daughter complained, wondering why i was cooking fish with jam.
which makes me think they might make good jam. a friend makes tomato/damson jam that she thinks in wonderful. i bet these tart cherry plums might balance the tree tomatoes really well in a sauce or a dessert.

Postby Rafael » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Rafael

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15, USDA zone 9b
Axel wrote:I am getting inundated with tamarillos, but I don't really like them raw. Is there anything that can be baked or cooked with these things?

One time I cut some in half, sprinkled the cut side with brown sugar, and roasted briefly in a hot oven. They're delicious that way on their own, but also probably with oatmeal or ice cream.

The peculiar tomato-y undertones they have tells me that they would be great as part of a salsa. Especially the yellow variety, which have sweeter fruits. I would try to chop or blend some into a tomato-based salsa.

I wish I had a glut too. Our tamarillo died a few years ago, but I'm growing a new plant from seed (yellow variety), so hopefully it will fruit soon. The market price is ridiculous!

Postby shawnb » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:27 am

shawnb
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 10b/11 Sunset 23/24
I love to use them in chutney.

Postby cchan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:52 am

cchan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9-10
Salsa is very good with them. Just replace the tomato with Tamarillos. It gives it a sun dried tomato taste.

Postby Paul-SF » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Paul-SF

Climate Zone: Sunset 17, USDA 10a
Like you, I am inundated with tamarillos and also disappointed in their flavor as raw fruits. From my cooking experiments, I will echo the suggestions of the other respondents of this thread: chutney and salsa.

The traditional tamarillo chutney recipe off www.tamarillo.com yields a complex flavored chutney that I found myself eating straight by the spoonful. I must warn you though, the recipe calls for 4 cups of vinegar that when heated with the onions, garlic and ginger creates a quite an odoriferous cloud of acetic acid. My wife accused me of trying to poison her and ordered me and my pot of half-cooked chutney from the house. I ended up boiling down the chutney to the right consistency on one of my camping stoves in the backyard.

As for salsa, the grilled tamarillo salsa that I brought to the Golden Gate Chapter's scion exchange was a hit. I simply grilled tamarillos, tomatoes, onions, garlic, red bell peppers and jalapenos. After skinning the tamarillos, tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapenos,and peeling the onions and garlic, they were pureed in a blender with a little salt and black pepper. The salsa was about 75% tamarillo. It had a dark rich red color, good body and a unique, but not overpowering taste. Obviously, you can adjust the ratio of tamarillo to other ingredients to suit your taste.

Grilling tamarillos was a bit messy as the usually pop open and spill part of their contents. Accordingly, next time I will try removing the tamarillo skins by soaking them in boiling water and then briefly cooking them in a sauce pan before blending them with the other ingredients.

Paul

Postby Keira » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:12 am

Keira

Climate Zone: 10
In Nepal, they use them in chutneys

Postby Rafael » Fri May 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Rafael

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15, USDA zone 9b
Try this recipe for tamarillo salsa. It's from an incredible book (actually bible) called La Gran Cocina Latina by Maricel Presilla. Can't recommend it highly enough; one could spend a lifetime picking through the recipes and growing the latin american ingredients.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... ina-latina

Bottom of page. It notes that Ecuador uses the yellow tamarillos for salsas while the red one is from Colombia where the preserve it for desserts.

R.

Return to Food and Recipes

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login