• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Share your favorite ways to prepare your harvests: Tropical smoothies, canning fruit and vegetables, where to find exotic fruits, cooking with fruits and vegetables

Black Sapote Mousse

Postby RodneyS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 pm

RodneyS
Cloudforest Guru

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 11a
Black Sapote Mousse

1 pkg. sugarfree chocolate instant pudding mix

1 black sapote

1 cup low-fat whipped topping

2 tablespoons instant coffee

Prepare pudding with cold skim milk or reconstituted nonfat dry milk, following package instructions. Add sapote and coffee to pudding, mix well. Lightly fold in whipped topping. Chill. Serve in dessert dishes with additional whipped topping.

Re: Black Sapote Mousse

Postby Axel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:49 am

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Rodney, doesn't the chocolate pudding overpower the flavor of the black sapote? Last time I ate black sapotes was in Hawaii, I bought some at the Hilo market. From what I recall, they are rather mild flavored. From what I remember, there wasn't any chocolate flavor, although they really look like black chocolate pudding.

This is a picture of the black sapotes I ate:

Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby ellen in berkeley » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:06 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
Persimmons will gell up remarkably. i imagine black sapotes would be similar. If you put persimmons through the blender with milk and vanilla, pour the liquid out, and let it sit a while, you will have a very nice simple pudding. if you prefer something more desserty, a little sugar and maybe some seasoning could be experimented with.

Postby Axel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Wow, I knew there's a reason I added a persimmon tree! Yes, black sapotes are in the persimmon family, and I think the flavors are very similar, but the texture is slightly different.

Has anyone tried chocolate persimmons and compared them side by side with black sapotes?
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Merbert » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:08 am

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
Axel wrote:Wow, I knew there's a reason I added a persimmon tree! Yes, black sapotes are in the persimmon family, and I think the flavors are very similar, but the texture is slightly different.

Has anyone tried chocolate persimmons and compared them side by side with black sapotes?

Axel, I found little similarity between chocolate persimmons and black sapote. Chocolate persimmon is sweet, not at all chocolate-flavored to me, and can be eaten in the crunchy stage if it is brown. It does have a touch of spice. If you find them on your tree and they aren't brown, let them soften all the way or they will be astringent.

Return to Food and Recipes

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:16 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login