• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Share your favorite ways to prepare your harvests: Tropical smoothies, canning fruit and vegetables, where to find exotic fruits, cooking with fruits and vegetables

Lime dishes, sweet and savory

Postby Steve in Los Osos » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 am

Steve in Los Osos
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17, USDA 10a
I've been accumulating a bowl of Bearss limes in the kitchen as they have gradually fallen from the tree and I thought I'd better get to using them so last night I tried a recipe I've had in my file for a long time but never used. It's for Key limes, but we thought the result with the Bearss was great.

Key Lime Pudding Cake

1/4 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1/4 tsp kosher (or coarse) salt
2 eggs, separated
1 c milk
2 tsp freshly grated lime zest
1/4 c freshly squeezed lime juice

1. Heat oven to 350F. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Beat egg yolks in a second bowl. Add the milk, lime zest and juice [yes, it curdles, just beat it up!] and stir into dry ingredients, mixing well to make a smooth batter.
3. In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently but thoroughly fold whites into the batter. Transfer into a souffle dish or 1 qt. casserole [don't be put off by this; it does not need a fancy dish; I used a 1.5 qt. square Corning dish and it worked just fine]. Place in a larger baking dish and pour hot water into the larger dish to a depth of about 1 in.
4. Bake 50 minutes. Serve warm or cold, ladling the top and sauce into dessert plates [a scoop of vanilla ice cream goes really well!]

The second recipe is one I've used for years and we have always enjoyed.

Haitian Chicken

2 (2.5 lb) chickens, cut up
Juice of 4 limes
2.5 tbsp honey
1 tsp dry mustard
1.5 tbsp chili powder
Pinch cayenne
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Bread crumbs [panko works great, but any--even fresh--will do]

Arrange chicken pieces, skin side down in a shallow baking (broiler-safe) dish. Combine all but bread crumbs in a small bowl. Pour over chicken. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours. [I usually do this overnight in a plastic bag with all the air squeezed out]

Bake chicken at 350F, uncovered, 30 min, basting often. Turn chicken over and bake 30 min. more, continuing to baste.

Heat broiling unit. Move chicken to broling unit, skin side down. Broil until brown. Turn chicken over. Sprinkle generously with bread crumbs. Spoon pan juices over crumbs. Broil until crisp and brown. [I usally do both sides with bread crumbs since that concentrates more of the basting/marinade juice flavors on the final product]

Enjoy!

Re: Lime dishes, sweet and savory

Postby Merbert » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
Limoncello made with limes, especially assorted varieties, is incredibly delicious. Just follow your favorite limoncello recipe and add about 10% more sugar.

Simple syrup infused with limes is versatile and simple to make.

Postby Axel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
It's bearrs line season again, I think I may try Robert's recipe but I will use Xylitol instead of sugar.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby Merbert » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

We've got so many limes this year (all varieties) that I can't even keep up with them. I've been giving many away. Traditional recipes for Moroccan/Middle Eastern preserved lemons are very tasty with limes.

Grated lime peel perks up many dishes as does a squeeze of lime. It combines very well with fresh and dried chilis. It really makes over-sweet fruit delicious as well.

Postby nullzero » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:21 pm

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Merbert wrote:We've got so many limes this year (all varieties) that I can't even keep up with them. I've been giving many away. Traditional recipes for Moroccan/Middle Eastern preserved lemons are very tasty with limes.

Grated lime peel perks up many dishes as does a squeeze of lime. It combines very well with fresh and dried chilis. It really makes over-sweet fruit delicious as well.

Totally agree about the overly sweet fruit, I squeezed lime juice on slices of sapodilla it was excellent!

Postby Merbert » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Sapodilla with lime sounds delicious. Avocado, sugar and lime make a tasty dessert. You can make delicious banana chips by tossing slices in a combination of lime (or lemon) and honey with optional chili flakes, then dehydrating them, dusting with fine salt when they are done.

Return to Food and Recipes

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:23 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login