• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Share your favorite ways to prepare your harvests: Tropical smoothies, canning fruit and vegetables, where to find exotic fruits, cooking with fruits and vegetables

Mamey Sapote Ice Cream or Wine recipes?

Postby Brian » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
Anyone have them? :D

Re: Mamey Sapote Ice Cream or Wine recipes?

Postby ellen in berkeley » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:22 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
i bet it would be good in ice cream, but wine sounds questionable. generally when i make either i improvise, so here goes:
take mamey. add cream and sugar and vanilla to taste, or to capacity of freezer. my best guess would be one part mamey, one part milk, one part cream, one part sugar. make sure it tastes sweeter than you want it because it's less sweet when frozen. yum.
for wine, i'd blend with water at an arbitrary ratio, my best guess would be two or three to one. then add sugar - lots of sugar. three pounds per gallon for a dry wine, more for a sweet. use a hydrometer. some yeasts will eat more than three pounds of sugar per gallon, so choose accordingly. maybe a little lemon or orange, both pulp and outer peel, could be added during the primary fermentation to brighten the flavor. good lluck.

Re: Mamey Sapote Ice Cream or Wine recipes?

Postby Ethan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Ethan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9/9
I just made some last night, I used a balloon whisk to mash up the mamey pulp so when the ice cream was done it had nice chunks of mamey, kind of like small chocolate chips.

from the website
http://opulentopossum.blogspot.com/2010 ... cream.html

2/3 c. heavy cream (chilled)
1/3 c. whole milk (chilled)
1 c. low-fat vanilla yogurt (use the costlier, creamier kind!) (chilled)
3/4 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1 c. sapote pulp (that’s been run through a food mill or pressed through a sieve to remove fibers) (chilled is a good idea)

Dissolve the sugar into the liquid ingredients, being careful not to whip the cream (indeed, you could just stir in the cream after mixing the sugar), and then fold in the sapote pulp.

Freeze in your ice cream freezer per instructions.

I thought it turned out good, maybe leave out the van extract? In combo w/the van yogurt it masked the mamey taste a little. I gently warmed the cream and the milk to dissolve the sugar completely then chilled it before making the recipe. The ice cream base is good and would probably work well with many other fruits, peach, cherries,mangoes, jak, durian?

good luck,
-Ethan

Return to Food and Recipes

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login