• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Share your favorite ways to prepare your harvests: Tropical smoothies, canning fruit and vegetables, where to find exotic fruits, cooking with fruits and vegetables

marmalade

Postby ellen in berkeley » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:46 am

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
a week ago a friend gave me a big bag of lovely limes. i made salted limes and lime marmalade.
i love the fragrance of lime peel. the longer i cooked the marmalade, the more the volatiles cooked off. by the time the marmalade was thick enough to put in jars, the fragrance was quite attenuated. it's still good, but the top notes of the flavor are diminished.
any cooks here have a suggestion of how to retain the volatile oils in the citrus peel while thickening marmalade?

Re: marmalade

Postby Axel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Why don't you grate the limes before cooking them, and then add the grated zest at the end after the marmalade has thickened? That would guarantee that the oils stay in the marmalade. I am with you, the fragrance is the best, and if it's lost, it just turns into regular citrus marmalade.

Oh, and please post the recipe for marmalade, thank you.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby epicenter » Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 pm

epicenter

Climate Zone: 17
Will the marmalade still thicken without the rind? I'm not sure in which part of the fruit the pectin resides.

Postby Axel » Tue May 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
I think the pectin comes from the peel, without it, you would only have citrus juice which doesn't have any pectin, but you could add enough pectin to end up with jelly. Marmalade without peel really isn't marmalade.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby ellen in berkeley » Fri May 20, 2011 12:10 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
The pectin comes from the peel and the seeds, if the fruit has seeds. The limes didn't. When I have seedy fruit, I juice it before I chop the peels. I catch the seeds and put them in a tea ball, and cook them with the fruit for the first while before I add the sugar.
The peel is also what makes the marmalade nice and bitter. It would be very boring without it, and also less healthy.

Postby scottfsmith » Thu May 26, 2011 7:49 pm

scottfsmith
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: MD 6B/7A
The way I make all jams is in a very thin layer, like 1/2-3/4" - I use multiple pans on the stove. Then it boils off quickly and so you don't cook the fruit. I've never made marmelade but it seems like the same principle would work there.

Scott

Return to Food and Recipes

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login