• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Share your favorite ways to prepare your harvests: Tropical smoothies, canning fruit and vegetables, where to find exotic fruits, cooking with fruits and vegetables

Sorbet. Your ingredient + h20 + sweetener = good

Postby Lorax » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
I was recently inspired by a local sorbet maker who is using the main flavor & water and sugar to make great creamy sorbet. The mystery has always been how to create good sorbet texture where it does not turn rock hard in the freezer but maintains scoop-a-ability a week later. So I found using the vita mix to break the ingredients down and whip into a creamy texture before adding to the ice cream maker is all the difference. At 2 HP the vita mix really does the job. I would recommend the commercial duty one which vita mix does not promote because they make less off of it than the Costco one, which is about the same price.

First recipe was 1 cherimoya, 2 banana, maple syrup + water. Finger lime squeezed on top and it was all over. Can't wait to start trying pistachio or cashew with some fresh almond or coconut water to substitute for water.

Re: Sorbet. Your ingredient + h20 + sweetener = good

Postby Merbert » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:20 am

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
I recently used frozen sapodillas, a bit of our winter honey with a couple of squeezes of Persian lime, and the same technique, to create a delicious sorbet.

Re: Sorbet. Your ingredient + h20 + sweetener = good

Postby Oolie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
gonna try some white sapote this way, i can only imagine the peaches and cream flavor of a peach with some sapote.

Return to Food and Recipes

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:31 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login