• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Share your favorite ways to prepare your harvests: Tropical smoothies, canning fruit and vegetables, where to find exotic fruits, cooking with fruits and vegetables

Tips on preserving things

Postby Brian » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
Like the title says. Anyone have tips and links on preserving things. I haven't done it before , but want to do it right to I don't poison myself. Fruits, veggies, you name it.

Re: Tips on preserving things

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 am

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Brian wrote:Like the title says. Anyone have tips and links on preserving things. I haven't done it before , but want to do it right to I don't poison myself. Fruits, veggies, you name it.

Get the Ball canning book. It has recipes for all of the normal stuff. We may blackberry jam, strawberry jam and strawberry sauce this weekend. Its pretty much the same process for all of them the ingredients change.
If you have citrus, marmelade is a must. We've made it with every citrus imaginable.

Postby John S » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:21 pm

John S
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA8
Surprisingly, many fruits freeze well. I have simply frozen pie cherries, quince, paw paws, American persimmons, and other fruits on a cookie sheet, put them in a ziploc, and ate fruit all winter. We don't harvest fruit outside here from Jan 1 to about June 1, with a few minor exceptions. I am going to try new varieties this year too.
John S
PDX OR

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Brian
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9ish
I want to try pickling of various things as well. Drying to assuming the sun stays out now.

Postby Laura » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 pm

Laura

Climate Zone: 11
You need to remember that the only ways to preserve are freeze, heat until all bacteria are dead and seal, dry [if high sugar content], put in vinegar, put in alcohol, put in salt to dry down or in salt water, or cook and seal with fat. The more unusual ones are alcohol for preserving fruits , cooked meat as a "confit" sealed with fat, and smoked semi dried meat, when you get more experience. start with jams and pickles and work your way up. The main poisoning issue is botulism when non acid/salt/sugar preservation is used for canning and the botulism grows in the sealed contained in the non-oxygen environment and is tasteless and odorless. Almost everything else smells or tastes bad when spoiled.

Return to Food and Recipes

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:41 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login