• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

Share your favorite ways to prepare your harvests: Tropical smoothies, canning fruit and vegetables, where to find exotic fruits, cooking with fruits and vegetables

Yuzu recipe thread

Postby nullzero » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:44 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Here is some Yuzu recipes listed on fourwindsgrowers; http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/our-cit ... /yuzu.html

Ponzu Sauce (Traditional Japanese Dipping Sauce)
Ingredients
¾ cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
½ cup rice vinegar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
½ cup bonito flakes
¼ cup fresh yuzu juice, or more to taste
1 tablespoon grated yuzu zest, if available
Directions:
Combine the mirin, vinegar, soy sauce, yuzu zest and bonito flakes in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and let cool. Pour the sauce through a strainer into a bowl; discard the bonito flakes. Add the yuzu juice.
Store in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Yuzu cha (Warm citrusy drink)
Ingredients
4 good quality Yuzu fruits
250 grams sugar (one heaping cup)
Directions:
Finely chop the yuzu fruits, using all portions except the seeds. You can finely slice the rind lengthwise so that the finished product will show off its pretty texture and color. Mix the chopped and sliced yuzu juice and rind with the sugar and blend thoroughly in a large jar. Stir the mixture every few days and keep refrigerated. Mixture is ready to use after about 4 days. To use, put a tablespoon of the mixture in a cup, cover with boiling water, stir and enjoy on a cold winter day.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Edamame Shiso Salad with Yuzu Vinaigrette
Ingredients
3 cups cooked, shelled edamame (save time by cooking frozen, pre-shelled beans)
[Possible substitutions: fava beans, yard long beans, peas, asparagus or salad greens]
One tablespoon Yuzu juice
5 or more Shiso leaves, sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar (flavored or plain)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Kosher salt (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
Zest from one Yuzu or lemon
Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Directions:
Place edamame or other salad fixings in a serving bowl.
Mix in blender: Yuzu juice, half of the shiso leaves, the olive oil, vinegar and maple syrup. Gently combine dressing with salad including remaining shiso leaves. Garnish with Yuzu or lemon zest and toasted sesame seeds if desired. Serve immediately.

Re: Yuzu recipe thread

Postby ellen in berkeley » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
i considered those sorts of things, as well as a dry seasoning thing (where did i see that?) but in the end i just did my usual marmalade, as it keeps indefinately and i like it.

as i look for the yuzu powder stuff now, i see there is yuzu shiro (yuzu salt) that ought to keep just fine and be tasty. i think i skipped trying it because the recipe i found had red peppers also, and i'm a wimp with peppers.

yuzu koshu
http://norecipes.com/blog/yuzu-kosho-yuzu-chili-paste/

Postby Merbert » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:17 am

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
I suggest a yuzu/citron version of limoncello. You could also do yuzu/Meyer lemon. Peel a total of 12 fruit with a vegetable peeler and steep in 2 fifths of Everclear in a clean glass or crockery covered container for a month, shaking gently each week. Keep it in location out of direct sunlight. After a month, create a yuzu/citron syrup with about 3 cups of water and 4 cups of white sugar. Again infuse it with the peels of both fruits and cook until it becomes a light syrup. Cool and strain through filter paper (this is slow!) Strain the citrus Everclear through filter paper, then blend the two together. Strain it another time, then return to the larger container. Allow it to mellow for between one and two months. Bottle, seal and enjoy. You can keep it in the freezer and pop it out as a little welcome for arriving guests.

Postby nullzero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:37 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Merbert,

Thanks for the input, that Yuzu limoncello type recipe sounds good.

Postby Merbert » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:06 am

Merbert
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
Thanks to Axel's gift of some nice citron, I've got a batch of citron/lemon macerating at this time. Pomelo also makes a nice change from straight lemon.

Return to Food and Recipes

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:15 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login