Search the Archives

Are there any Banyan trees in California?

Are there any Banyan trees in California?

Are there any of these trees growing very well in California? I saw one that looked small and stanted at the San Diego zoo, but are there any others in the state that are gorwing quite well? Or any other banyan trees at all? Does anyone have a pic of any besides the one in the SD zoo which I got to see for myself?

The following thread was started by Aycarumba99 on August 06, 2003 at 3:15 pm PST

Lotz!

But they don't produce aerial roots like they do in the tropics. Too long of dry spells here.

I did see some nice small banyans at the Hilton in mission bay in San Diego with some nice aerial roots.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on August 06, 2003 at 10:40 pm PST.

HOw fast do they grow?

Are these trees generally fast growing or slow? Is it possible to increase the humidity in an area to get more aerial roots or would they die after the humidity decreased. And where do you get banyan trees?

The above followup was added by Aycarumba99 on August 07, 2003 at 2:43 pm PST.

banyan

try Lord Howe Island banyan (Ficus columnaris), it grows in the exact same mnaaner as F. benghalensis, but prefers a mild warm-temperate climate with a dry summer. I've seen them in habitat, amazing. Theres one on the island that covers 5 acres with over 1000 trunks!

Growth rate, for me in temperate New Zealand they are pretty fast. I have one near my nursery that is grown from seed I collected in Sydney in 1998, it is now about 4m (12 feet) tall and wide, with aerial roots. Since planting it, I have cut it back by half twice, it would be a lot bigger if I'd left it alone.

The above followup was added by Ben on August 07, 2003 at 4:02 pm PST.

Rally pushing it

Where do you get these seeds!? Is this the type they are growing in So Cal, becuase from what I know New Zealand is a bit cooler meaning they would do better in So Cal and I thought banyan trees were very good at dying in SO Cal. Does anyone know where the biggest banyan tree is in Claifornia? NOw here is the pushing it part.... Is there any chance that these could grow in Seattle? (I doubt it though) and also, could these grow in the bay area(San Francisco)

The above followup was added by Aycarumba99 on August 07, 2003 at 4:25 pm PST.

I have two LHI Banyans

One is in the ground and about 6 ft tall. The other is in a 15 gal pot and 4 ft.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on August 07, 2003 at 7:57 pm PST.

Biggest in Ca

Santa Barbara and Ventura both have @ 125 year old specimens of Ficus macrophylla. These trees have a spread of around 200 feet and are enormous, probably the biggest in the state.

many species of ficus attain impressive dimensions in So. CA

The above followup was added by Gus on August 07, 2003 at 9:58 pm PST.

We have heaps here

One of the most common street and park trees in Melbourne and all around Australia really is Ficus macrophylla and like Gus says they are massive, all the older ones that havn't been heavily pruned are over 100 x 100 feet, the roots are the most impressive thing, sometimes they have ridges above ground big enough for kids to get lost in : ), they grow anywhere too, tough as, our town has a youngish (10-15 years old?) one growing a few feet from the water on the beach, it's allready pretty large

The above followup was added by Jason on August 08, 2003 at 2:50 am PST.

ficus

fremonts shin park has a 120 year old f.macrophyla and has a buttressed trunk,huge glossy crown of leaves.another is in alameda and at golden gate park

The above followup was added by gardener on September 09, 2003 at 4:33 pm PST.

Importing banyan trees into USA

2 of my manufacturers in China visited me recently & asked if I would be interested in importing BANYAN trees. They said they would come with a gov. certificate stating their age (200-300). If anybody's interested please E-Mail me at jmorr3333@aol.com.

The above followup was added by Jack Morrone on September 11, 2003 at 12:05 am PST.

Banyans in Encinitas

I have a large beautiful banyan in my back yard-It has drop roots and grows easily-It gives my yard a tropical climate. I thin the canopy so the branches are lightened and minimize limb damage in the wind. It was planted over 40 years ago and looks much like those you see at the San Diego Zoo. Unfortunately a developer wants to chop it down so his houses can have unobstructed views. It is a boundary tree and so I refuse to let him do it. Any suggestions folks.

The above followup was added by Eileen on November 21, 2003 at 1:28 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:06 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login