Search the Archives

Growing Mangoes

Growing Mangoes

Hi
I am interested in knowing how to grow Mangoes in New Zealand from seed or if I can import a graft

The following thread was started by francisco on January 05, 2004 at 12:14 am PST

good luck!

Hi Francisco, Ben from Hawkes Bay here (Waimarama beach, 30km SE Hastings).

Its fairly easy to grow mangoes from seed from imported fruit. Trouble is, most of it comes from unsuitable areas with tropically-adapted parent plants. Usually these seedlings don't produce much, although there are some producing trees in Auckland and Northland, and some have fruited in Napier and New Plymouth, probably other places too.

There was a govt-funded research orchard planted somewher ein the Mangere area in the late 70's, I believe. I've only heard about this from tree crop members, but apparantely they had all the most suitable cv.s, and many were producing excellent commercial grade fruit. Then a leaf disease got on to them, and on suspecting some nasty import, the whole orchard was destroyed. Mango is still on the 'potentially commercial' list with MAF, which means that importing vegetative material is prohibitivaly expensive, and requires maximum quarantine period.

There are several commercial cv.s in Australia that shoule suit us. Bowen/kensington and R2E2 are good examples. Trouble is, we cant import from Australia becasue of a seed-boring insect there. If you can source Kensington fruit from New Caledonia which is imported occaisonally, then we could probably get fruit from the seedlings. Also, as Kensington is polyembyonic, you can get up to 12 clonal seedligns per fruit. I've tried to get this NC fruit, but it doesn't come into Hawkes Bay. If you find any... please let me know, or send me some seeds! Please!!!!!!

Assuming we get a cool-adapted cv., then the major problem for us to produce fruit in NZ is the pollination problem. Most mangoes dont
pollinate when the spring is too wet. Even a light rainfall can stop pollination. The DSIR fruit were selected for cool tolerance and also wet tolerance, more of a problem in Auckland than it is usually for me in HB, although this last spring we got almost 500mm rain!

I don't have any mangoes that survive more than about 2 years outside, despite being totally frost free. There are some people importing seed form South Africa, which looks very promising. If you want fruit easily, buy some tropical fruit and plant in greenhouse.

The above followup was added by Ben on January 06, 2004 at 1:13 pm PST.

Mango's in Helensville

Hi Team,

I've just visited the Nestlebrae exotics nursery in Helensville in the last few days. They are growing some mangos in the open ground but they are very frost sensitive and theirs are only about 4 foot tall and are showing a bit of frost damage.
You might want to contact them via their webpage http://www.helensville.co.nz/catalogue.htm

The above followup was added by Nigel(NZ) on January 07, 2004 at 4:37 pm PST.

Ben

I'll send you some Kensington pride seeds, if you can figure out how to import them, There seems to be a few around still, which is a bit weird for this late in the mango season, normally it's shifted to R2E2's by now. Talking about out of season stuff, Hass avocados from Western Australia and Mildura are going for $3.50 EACH at the moment because the Queenslanders are out of season at the moment, right when all the Mexican varieties are ripe in Southern Victoria, serious money to be made for any farmer willing to step out of apple mania

The above followup was added by Jason on January 09, 2004 at 10:06 pm PST.

thanks Jason

That would be great. They need to be grown in a quarantined area with AQIS inspectors checking them 3x per growing season, and then they need appropriate phytosanitary clearance with random seed disection to determine freedom from the pest.

Actually, thinking about it... maybe I'll wait until I can find some fruit grown in New Caledonia, which does occaisonally enter NZ. I appreciate the offer though!

btw,... anything you want from here?

The above followup was added by Ben on January 10, 2004 at 4:00 pm PST.

Growing Mangoes

I've found a Mangoe pit in my compost heap which started to germinate and has a 10cm root.

I have replanted the whole plant into another well composted pot and am keen on seeing if this develops at all.

From your site I find that it may develop into something bigger!

What are my chances of picking some fruit from this. I live in Whangere and there is almost no frost here. Any good advice!?

The above followup was added by Erich on February 10, 2004 at 3:29 pm PST.

Mangoe

Can mangoe seeds be started in my greenhouse?.Can I use the seeds from a mangoe to start the plant?

Thanks

The above followup was added by Ed kendall on June 14, 2004 at 5:04 pm PST.

mangoes from seed

I saved the seeds from some store-bought mangoes and I would like to know the best way to get them to germinate. Thanks

The above followup was added by Jennifer Hoffmeister on July 07, 2004 at 12:10 am PST.

I need information

Can anyone tell me during which season I sould plant a mango pit? is summer a good time, or fall?
What the best temperature and for a mango tree, and how much water does it need?
Thanks

The above followup was added by Ana on August 07, 2004 at 7:37 pm PST.

mango soil

hi, live in VIc Australia, i'm doing a project on mangoes but can't seem to find the info i need...does anyone here know what kind of soil you need to grow them? and how many times do you need to water them?
It would be a gr8 BIG help

The above followup was added by eskymo pie on October 04, 2004 at 0:37 am PST.

Where can mangoes grow???

I want to know where some US mango farms are at. I am doing a class project and need some info.

The above followup was added by Bob on October 25, 2005 at 1:10 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:05 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login