Search the Archives

Growing Cherimoya

Growing Cherimoya

Is it possible to grow Cherimoya in Michigan, indoors with the right equipment?
Does anybody know how to grow this from their seeds?
HELP I'M ADDICTED TO THIS WONDERFUL FRUIT!!!

The following thread was started by cherimoyalover on March 24, 2004 at 1:52 pm PST

It could be done....

But to duplicate its natural environment would be much more expensive than the fruit is worth.

If you like fresh fruit... go to www.cherimoya. .org or .com
They sell mail order Cherimoya.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on March 24, 2004 at 3:15 pm PST.

seeds

Buy a cherimoya, the type you want, and take out all the seeds, put them in rich soil in a moist ziplock back and put it on something around 90 degrees, they will srpout within two weeks. At least mine did.

The above followup was added by kyle on March 24, 2004 at 10:11 pm PST.

With the right equipment

You could grow the tree outside which would probably be better.

option (1) - grow in ground
Enclose tree and keep heated thru freezing weather which will be for months in your area. Make sure the ground doesn't freeze either.

option (2) - grow in container and move indoors for freezing weather. You will need special lighting.

Like Jeff says it probably ain't worth it unless your a total fanatic with a lot of disposable income and time on your hands.

The above followup was added by Tom on March 25, 2004 at 11:43 am PST.

Growing Cherimoya

I grew mine from seed. Soaked the seeds in water overnight and planted it the next morning in a small pot. Took about 3 weeks to germinate and the trees are now 5 years old. Transplanted two into a 10 gallon pot (gave away 4) and last year it bore fruit though just half inch and inedible. It now has over 20 little buds and I do not know how it will grow. Left it out in winter as long as the weather did not dip below 30 degrees as it requires about 3 to 4 months of exposure to cold weather. It lost all its leaves and got fresh leaves in February.

I am now waiting to see how big the fruit will grow this year.

The above followup was added by Yasmin on May 04, 2004 at 10:54 pm PST.

Starting the seeds

I found that to grow cherimoya from the seeds of a cherimoya fruit indoors does not have to be as difficult as others say. They don't need the rainforest environment to sprout. I put them in a pot with a loam and vermiculite mix (what I use with all my plants) and it sprouted within two weeks too. So basically, I just planted them normally like every other plant, even though I live in new york city. Good luck! ; )

The above followup was added by kARA on June 24, 2004 at 2:18 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:17 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login