Search the Archives

Indonesian Seedless guava - Fruiting in Modesto

Indonesian Seedless guava - Fruiting in Modesto

I was out in my backyard watering this morning, when I smelled that unmistakable "ripe guava " smell.
Upon closer examination I found that my 3 year old Indonesian Seedless tropical guava had a very ripe fruit on it.

Wow , what a taste! Unlike other guavas that I had eaten ripe.. this one isn't over powering. Its a small fruit.It has a creamy texture, no seeds. I slight pineapple taste.

The tree seems to be a little more hardy than my other tropical guava trees, suffer no damage this past winter at 27f. It didn't even drop its leaves.

Jeff

The following thread was started by Jeff on September 10, 2004 at 10:16 am PST

sliced fruit photo

Delicious.

The above followup was added by jef on September 10, 2004 at 10:18 am PST.

Jeff, the flesh looks different, does it taste like a regular tropical type guava?

Many times seeds make a fruit taste the familiar way we expect them to taste. Did it taste like a guava normally does?

david

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 10, 2004 at 3:32 pm PST.

Where did you get it

Jeff, Where did you get your guava tree at? Its different from any Ive seen or grown before. Im growing about 6 different types down here in San Diego. My favorite so far is the Detwiler type which is a small yellow guava with a yellow interior.

The above followup was added by benp on September 10, 2004 at 4:37 pm PST.

Don't want to tell you!

Just joking...
I got it from Palmsandgardens.com.

I do NOt recommend anyone buying from them though.

I got several really nice trees from them... then I got ripped off in a major way.
They can't even take paypal anymore...I am sure that is due to all of the complants.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on September 10, 2004 at 5:26 pm PST.

Different taste....same smell.

David, Its much different tasting, though the ripe fruit smell is excatly the same.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on September 10, 2004 at 5:28 pm PST.

Jeff, can you descibe it?

Is it sweeter, is the funny guava after taste gone, or still there?

Or can can you put it in words.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 10, 2004 at 6:25 pm PST.

Taste

Ughhh!

Ok...I guess....
It was creamy , the taste was slightly fruity with a twist of pineapple. Not musky like most ripe guavas.
Wait a week or so... Another will be ripe. If you get to my house before I go to work, you are welcome to try one.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on September 10, 2004 at 6:46 pm PST.

Jeff, ok I will have to remember the before work schedule

they sound more interesting then the Rose Apples. I liked the pink guavas more last year then the previous years. I think they were not as ripe last year.

I really like the hardy strawberry guavas, which someone has been bringing to our Oct CRFG Meeting. They don't taste like the regular guavas at all.

I have one of those pink guavas here, I finally planted one of those seedlings, I got at our local CRFG meeting a couple years or more ago.

I also planted finally this year, my own strawberry guava, and a yellow form of strawberry guava which I both started from seed, as well as a guava I got from seed which my wife brought back from Cuernavaca Mexico. Also too a Brazilian guava, which I started from seed I ordered in. They too, I think are supposed to put on smaller fruit, and don't taste quite so guavas.

I guess I got carried away with guavas, not sure why. Then to boot, this summer I ordered some more guava seed from the CRFG seedbank. Psidium quajava? black, white and pink . I guess I like the challenge, and I like to check the hardiness.

I wonder how hard it would be to root a cutting, or take a air layer, it is sure we can't take a seed and grow more.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 10, 2004 at 8:04 pm PST.

Airlayer

David... I think that they airlayer easy.

I have done airlayering of guavas where you bend a branch into a pot... they root easy that way.
Another way is to mound dirt up to and over th the lower branches then put a micro sprinkler above the branch. Roots form in the soil.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on September 10, 2004 at 10:27 pm PST.

Where did you get the seedless Guava tree?

I am looking to have a very large collection, Where did you get this one?
I have;
Pineapple Guava, Coolidge
Pineapple Guava, Nazemetz
Pineapple Guava, Trask
Pineapple Guava, Best Round
Strawberry Guava; Psidium Catteianum
Strawberry Guava; Smooth Red
Ruby X Guava
Mexican Cream Guava
Thai Maroon Purple Guava
Yellow Strawberry Guava
Giant Vietnamese Guava
Bangkok Guava
Indonesian Guava
Costa Rican Guava
Hawaiian Pink Guava
Indian Red Guava
African Red Guava
Malaysian Red Guava
Giant Xali Guava
Giant Bangkok Guava
Shalom’s Bangkok Guava
Richards Thailand Guava
Knon Toon Khao Guava
Long White Guava
Benjamin Best White Guava
Philippine Guava
Crystal Seedless
Thailand Seedless Guava(grafted)

Best places to get them,
Thailand Seedless Guava(grafted)
MIMOSA NURSERY
6270 Allston St., East Los Angeles

Many types(17 last trip) at
Exotica Nursery Inc, in Vista CA

California Tropical Fruit Tree Nursery
in Vista CA

The above followup was added by Gregory Cushing on September 17, 2004 at 10:39 pm PST.
Gregory, wow lots of guavas, do you like them all or just collect them?

I have a few, all from seed.

Strawberry Guava; Psidium Catteianum
Strawberry Guava; Psidium ( yellow form)
Brazilian guava
Psidium quajava pink, black and white.
And a unknown guava I have labeled only as Cuernavaca guava, as my wife brought seed back from Cuernavaca Mexico a little over a year ago.

The only thing I have never gotten to sprout, was the Chilean guava seeds.

I'm going to let Jeff tell you about the seedless guava, and if he misses this post down aways, I will respond.

I do have to ask, do they all have pretty much the same quava taste. I like the hardy strawberry quavas, they don't have that ??? taste and much sweeter.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 18, 2004 at 3:20 pm PST.

Love fresh fruit

Hi David,
I had almost 100 fruit nuts and berries at my old house in San Jose. I am at 50+ in a year at this house in Palo Alto. Production always varies with temp across the year. Many times a sudden temp spike would burn the new fruit or heavy frost kill new fruit flowers. Because I have had so many different types, I have some sort of fruit all year. Except for the guavas, almost all fruit trees are multi graphs. Exanple, I have had almost 4 months of plums some years(4 way) and other years only 2 typed fruited. I have found fresh guavas to be rare and when others try them they are very excited by the new flavors. In San Jose, I have 7 unnamed Pinapple Guavas and if I gave you a fruit from each of them, you can tell 5 of them are different. I have what I believe is a Patillo and it can be a meal it can be so big, and the strawberry guavas are like popcorn, got to watch the hard seeds. At Sri Siam I tasted no less than 10 types(flavors) including one that tasted like jack fruit without the "oh my God what have you done to me" after taste. The best thing I like about fruit is sharing it; cut it, clean it, eat with a friend. My goal is to be able to present examples of,"yes, this can grow here".
I miss worded my question to Jeff, he already said"Palmsandgardens.com", I ment to ask, where were they located?
I found the Thailand Seedless Guava(grafted)
by calling all over Florida, the guy says, "you need to talk to Carol", like everybody knows Carol. The plants were beautiful, Carol left the Nursery but, they still had the plants. They were kinda hard to deal with on the phone but, when I got there and started talking to them, it was like I was lost family.
Sri Siam had to sell due to health, hope somebody keeps it running.

The above followup was added by Gregory Cushing on September 19, 2004 at 8:02 pm PST.
Psidium acutangulum

David.... This is the guava that I showed you when you were at my house...I had forgotten the name.

It is more sensitive to frost than a standard tropical guava.

They also call it a " Para Guava "

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on September 20, 2004 at 7:34 pm PST.

Gregory, I'm trying to do the same thing, have fruit almost all year long.

I have regular stone fruits, apples and such, and am also multi budding them, to break up the harvest deluge happening all at once.. Also multi budding my avocado tree, and citrus as well.

I'm only started on my yard, energy and money mainly slow me down. As well as starting many of my plants from seeds, which are know to produce ok fruit like this.

Still lots of smaller things to plant, I have most of the larger things in. Need to plant more narrow width palms, to from some upper story protection from sun and freezes down the road. All a very slow process. in deed. Wish I hand a time machine to go back and plant things years earlier, so I could appreciate them in larger form. But I guess I would miss them sizing up, that most of the fun.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 27, 2004 at 1:43 pm PST.

multi budding avocado?, starting Guavas...

Very cool, multi budding avocado please let know how that goes, there may be money to be made. I am still trying to start my big mexican guava from cuttings, second attempt. First attempt the soil was was clay like, they dried out. The third attempt will be with a micro mister.

The above followup was added by Gregory Cushing on October 02, 2004 at 3:23 pm PST.

Growing questions

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me (e-mail), step by step, how i woudl grow a guava tree. I have access to Detwiler Guavas. From what i've read, these trees like to be in a sunny location and be planted in rich soil. I live in Rancho Cucamonga California where it is sunny except for maybe 3 weeks out of the year. Thanks for your input.

The above followup was added by Andrew on January 08, 2005 at 2:42 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login