Search the Archives

Maypop Question

Maypop Question

I sprouted a few maypop seeds and was curious as to whether two different seedling could pollinate each other? I have read that seedlings from some types of passion fruit will pollinate each other but others will not.

The following thread was started by John Vandegrift on April 09, 2010 at 8:44 pm PST

Yes

If you have two distinct seedlings, they will pollinate one another. All paasifloras are that way. Only if you have genetic clones will you not be able to fruit them if they are not fertile.

The above followup was added by Axel on April 09, 2010 at 10:39 pm PST.

May pop

I have only grown one maypop clone.
It was from a single seed I started ~ 10 years ago.

The vine has fruited prolifically for me and for those who have recieved cuttings from me.

So at least some May Pops are self fertile.

Unfortunately the fruit taste like a combination of Bananna, Pineapple, and dirty socks.

The above followup was added by Jeff (woodland) on April 10, 2010 at 6:53 am PST.

Caution, May-pop, P. incarnata is root invasive

Caution, May-pop, P. incarnata is root invasive.

It will send up new plant all along its root system. Also can send roots under concrete 50 or more feet, to come up where you never thought they could.

David.

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on April 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm PST.

David is correct

Maypop is very invasive, but it is a preaty weed.

I would only advise planting it in an area that you dont mind it naturalizing.

The above followup was added by Jeff (woodland) on April 10, 2010 at 8:17 pm PST.

taste

I don't mind it being invasive. In my area it will die to the ground every winter anyway. I am a little concerned about the dirty socks description though. Anyone else have opinions on the taste?

The above followup was added by John Vandegrift on April 10, 2010 at 8:22 pm PST.

edible

Maypop maybe edible but not good to eat, I thought Jeff in Woodland was being generous with his description.

-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield 9/9 on April 10, 2010 at 8:39 pm PST.

P. incarnata

Actually P. incarnata dies to the ground as it is deciduous in the winter. The fleshy roots survive in Connecticut and Massachusetts. They can survive down to -2 degrees F. Then in the spring the plant appears all over, far from its original planting. Roundup only kills nearby plants. This one is best planted in a pot to contain it. P. caerula is tame by comparison. P. Incense is a hybrid of P. incarnata and P. cincinnata that is beautiful and fragrant and well worth growing. It too will survive down to 16 degrees F and suckers, but is worth it. Here in Nipomo it too is deciduous. Nice thing is you can dig up a sucker to propagate it. Never have seen a fruit, but supposedly it has a 2 inch fruit that is sweet and a rose-like aroma. The flowers are self sterile and produce no pollen, so maybe I need to work on that. I used to hybridize Passiflora using P. caerula pollen and created some interesting "monsters". P. quadrangularis flowers are known for large size, but P. Incense flowers are larger (5-51/2 inches). Absolutely my favoritre passion flower!

The above followup was added by Jack, Nipomo on April 11, 2010 at 7:24 am PST.

More on P. incarnata

My biggest problem is nematodes, it only lasts a couple years, 3 at most. But a friend near me, in more sandier soil and colder in winter, his seems to not be troubled with the Nematodes.

Anyway the main reason to grow P. incarnata is medicinal, the leaves are a highly effective nervine herb, with many neurological benefits to help nerves and muscles to relax, induce sleep, mild pain killer and etc. I use it and skullcap twice daily. Helps me to remain less stressed during the day, and before bed helps me to relax, so I can sleep, and go to sleep far more quickly.

To restrict the roots, just retain the roots as if you were growing bamboo.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on April 11, 2010 at 8:37 am PST.

nematodes

David, I'm surprised you have a nematode problem with your mulching. My pumpkins always have world-class nematode nodules at the end of the season, but I put lots of mulch in and on top of the planting hole for passiflora and it stopped being a problem. Our soil is pure dune sand for 300 ft,. down.

The above followup was added by Jack, Nipomo on April 11, 2010 at 9:56 am PST.

Jack, It is our Summer heat, and warmer soils.

It is our Summer heat, and warmer soils. And the P. incarnata has been in my back yard, southwest exposure, very hot there. It should be better as some palms and trees grow taller to cause some more shading to cool the soil. But my yard in air flow restricted area often gets 8 to 10 degrees hotter. The warmer the soil is, the worse the nematodes can be, especially with the no mulch or not much organic material in the soil.

I got ride of my Perlette ? grapes, they were turning to raisins in June and July before even ripe enough to eat. I dumped them and also moved my the keeper grapes to a area where they are shaded for part of the day, they do much better.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on April 12, 2010 at 11:16 am PST.

Click here to return to main board

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:27 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login