Search the Archives

Wax Jambus and Caimito in SOCAL?

Wax Jambus and Caimito in SOCAL?

Hi. I have a ne tropical garden, Can Wax Jambus and Caimito in SOCAL? I just love these fruits!!!

The following thread was started by Tropicalfruitlover on May 08, 2010 at 9:27 am PST

I...

have wax jambu and caimito and and they do live here in my area unprotected.The wax jambu does loose about 60% of its leaves during winter.I am in the South Bay area of Los Angeles.

The above followup was added by Adrian21 on May 08, 2010 at 9:45 am PST.

Adrian21

Adrian21, do your jambus and caimito fruit well?

The above followup was added by Tropicalfruitlover on May 08, 2010 at 3:53 pm PST.

Wax Jambu

I have both. I am in about an hour North of Los Angeles. Both mine do fine. My caimito looses leaves in the Winter, but my Wax Jambu doesn't loose any leaves and is Fruiting right now.

The above followup was added by Jacob on May 08, 2010 at 5:12 pm PST.

Jacob

Both of your caimito and wax jambu fruits there? When, how good? After leave dieback, are there new ones? How tall are your trees? Pictures?

The above followup was added by Tropicalfruitlover on May 08, 2010 at 5:23 pm PST.

Wax jambu cultivar recommendation

I know of the pink, white & red cultivar.

Which one do you recommend?

The above followup was added by Rodney Cerritos, CA on May 08, 2010 at 6:09 pm PST.

Wax Jambus

Hi Rodney Cerritos, CA . I would go with the pink stinark (pink variety) and black peral (red variety)

The above followup was added by Tropicalfruitlover on May 08, 2010 at 6:17 pm PST.

Quail BG has a big one

Quail Botanical Garden (now SDBG) has a LARGE tree that is either pink or red fruited in their tropical area.

From what I've read, red is sweetest then pink then white then green. I think the white/green ones are more for dipping in chili/fish/lime sauce mix than eating as a stand alone fruit?

-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield 9/9 on May 08, 2010 at 6:17 pm PST.

Wax jambus and caimito

Ethan, do you know if caimito and and wax jambu grow and fruit well in Socal?

The above followup was added by Tropicalfruitlover on May 08, 2010 at 6:20 pm PST.

with the right micro climate

I'm N. of you in Bakersfield so I dont have experience with your particular area. I currently have mine potted and protect them overwinter. I would guess with the right microclimate or some protection you could do it and once established would get easier to take care of.

good luck,
-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield 9/9 on May 08, 2010 at 6:32 pm PST.

I have a "Black Pearl" Wax Jambu and it is about 2.5 to 3 Feet. Not real big at all. This is the first season that it has flowered/Fruited. As for the Caimito, I have a Purple Caimito and it is just coming out of Dormancy and leafing out nicely. I have not got any fruit from it yet.

The above followup was added by Jacob on May 08, 2010 at 8:45 pm PST.

Caimito and Jambus

Ethan- do your wax jambus and caimito fruit well? How tall are they? What variety do you have? Pictures?

Jacob- How is the Black Pearl Variety? How tall is your caimito? Puictures?

The above followup was added by Tropicalfruitlover on May 08, 2010 at 8:59 pm PST.

no fruit yet

I have stinark, black pearl and a red jambu from PR ranging from 2'-5'. I removed two large airlayers from my 5' so it was taller. My star apples, a friend sent me purple and green seedlings, they are maybe a year old.

-Ethan

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Syzygium_samarangense.htm

towards the bottom right side is a picture of a wax jambu tree fruiting in a 15gal pot.

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield 9/9 on May 08, 2010 at 10:18 pm PST.

My

wax jambu(red varaiety)hold fruit last year and just now satring to push new growth.My red wax jambu is 4-5feet tall.As for my air layered caimito it's still only 2 feet tall and has not fruited.

Jacob,it's weird that your caimito lost leaves and mine did not but my wax jambu did loose some of it's leaves and yours did not.
Here's a picture of my purple caimito taken last year.

The above followup was added by Adrian21 on May 09, 2010 at 8:52 am PST.

Adrian

I heard caimito is hard to grow. It can never fruit in CA. I hope yours can make it. I'm lucky I have a 20 ft caimito that fruits every year. I bought it 40 years ago. (apx. 50 pounds of caimito a year.)

The above followup was added by Fruitytuti on May 09, 2010 at 3:34 pm PST.

Long time no post???

Hello please continue this discussion, anyone?

The above followup was added by Tropicalfruitlover on May 17, 2010 at 6:12 pm PST.

You gotta do better than that :)

TropicalFruitlover, you have to add something to the discussion to get it going again, otherwise it's out of steam. :)

The above followup was added by Axel on May 17, 2010 at 8:04 pm PST.

Caimito

I love caimtio. I grew one from seed. It produces a bundle each year in Socal.

The above followup was added by Happytrre on May 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm PST.

How about some photos of your bearing trees?

And where are you guys growing?

Fruitytuti 20 foot, 40 year old tree bearing 50 lbs? Are you in Florida or Hawai'i?

Happytrre has 'a bundle' every year, how much is that? How long was it from seed to your first fruit? In SoCal where?

The trees are really beautiful.

And the fruits are pretty good, if you avoid the latex laden skin.

The above followup was added by John Valenzuela on May 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm PST.

John

I live in Socal as seen above. :0

The above followup was added by Fruitytuti on May 19, 2010 at 7:11 am PST.

Oh John!

A bundle for me is a 5 gallon pot filled up with caimitos.

The above followup was added by Happytrre on May 19, 2010 at 7:12 am PST.

As seen above?

Fruitytuti, where do you mention SoCal? Are confusing your own posts with Happytrre's mention of SoCal?

Those two posts are only 1 minute apart, hmmm. . . You two must be very close/on the same thought?

SoCal is a big area! Adrian21 mentions the South Bay, and Jacob is one hour North of LA, Rodney is in Cerritos, Ethan in Bakersfield, I am surely out of the running being North of SF.

Where is the Tropicalfruitlover growing?

Oh Happytrre!
Curious, how long from Caimito seed to fruit.

And still would love to see some photos of those trees. . .

The above followup was added by John Valenzuela, Novato CA SunsetZ16 on May 19, 2010 at 8:19 am PST.

Wax Jambu grow in SoCal

I have two black pearl wax jambu trees and a pink one. I live in West Covina, CA, and the trees are in pots that have been moved around the yard from full sun to full shade. I haven't noticed any heavy leaf drop during the winter yet. I have had the trees for 3+ years. The trees are about 8 feet and fruit pretty heavily. This year I have the trees under full shade, and the flower buds have just started forming for the past 2 weeks.

I would go with the black pearl variety if you can find it. The flavor is completely different than the pink and green varieties. The black pearl is much much sweeter and has an extremely pronoucned floral character.

The above followup was added by Sam on May 19, 2010 at 9:10 am PST.

Be a little more specific on your location

It is very helpful to mention what city you're having success growing your various trees so we can use this as a reference.

The above followup was added by Raul on May 19, 2010 at 9:16 am PST.

Pasadena

Hello, John I live in the foothills in a city called, Pasadena.

The above followup was added by Tropicalfruitlover on May 20, 2010 at 7:43 am PST.

Pasadena, small town in a big city

I used to live in Pasadena, nice place, felt like a small town. It has an awesome climate for tropicals, a year-round growing season, long hot Summers, plenty of heat for those tropicals. I remember growing tomatoes through the Winter. There were so many warm Winter days in the 80's, it was amazing. Too bad there was so much smog, and the May/June gloom was nasty too, lots of drizzle during that time, it was almost as if Winter was in May and June.

The above followup was added by Axel on May 20, 2010 at 8:45 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:29 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login