Search the Archives

Myrica rubra hardiness???

Myrica rubra hardiness???

I have a grafted one getting big in a pot on the GH and thinking to move it outside on the ground. I have a 9a climate and i recently bought a book that indicates it is hardy to climate 8a, but i can't find much more informations on this....
Any of you guys have experience or information about this one???
Any help is appreciated...thanks

The following thread was started by miguel.pt on July 10, 2010 at 4:11 pm PST

Somewhat Tropical from everything I have read

They are somewhat Tropical from everything I have read about them. I was reading that even in Taiwan, they were growing them on a slope, near the coast.

I did another search and found some research done years ago in Florida, here is the link. It indicates they maybe hardier then I thought, and actually survive lows down into the 20s. They reported damage at 17F, ,but their cold is often not like ours in CA. theirs is often brief and not of long duration like ours can be here in CA.

http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1972%20Vol.%2085/326-328%20(SHARPE).pdf

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA zone 14 on July 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm PST.

9a should be alright

It is planted all over the Yangtze delta area, which is roughly USDA 8a or 8b with regular frost and semi-regular snow. The local climate is more like southern Georgia, extremely hot and humid in summer with consistent moisture all year. It can get colder than at least the Bay Area with 20F almost every year. The tree is monoecious and the fruits have very very short shelf life.

The above followup was added by Daxin on July 10, 2010 at 11:50 pm PST.

HEY miguel.pt

Where did you get the Myrica rubra Plant. Do you have any you would sell or trade. If not, do you know where to get one?

Thanks,

Jacob

The above followup was added by Jacob on July 11, 2010 at 8:50 pm PST.

thanks and answer to Jacob

I've tried to post this several times yesterday but with no luck... let's try again today.

thanks for the inputs guys... i will try it outside but probably wait till next spring

Jacob...I'm in Portugal and i ordered the Myrica rubra from England two years ago... sorry but i have just one and no fruits yet...glad to share seeds in the future, if it evers fruits... fingers crossed.

The above followup was added by miguel.pt on July 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm PST.

Where did you order it from?

Hey Miguel,

Did you order it online? Could you tell me from where you ordered it?

Thanks Jacob

The above followup was added by Jacob on July 13, 2010 at 4:41 pm PST.

source for M.rubra

I've bought it from Agroforestry Research Trust in 2008 but i don't remember to see it on last year catalog... they do have a internet page and a online catalog... just google them...good luck

The above followup was added by miguel.pt on July 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm PST.

Myrica rubra

Is there a monoecious M. rubra?
I thought they were all dioecious

The above followup was added by lue on July 20, 2010 at 2:38 am PST.

I made a mistake

Myrica rubra is dioecious

The above followup was added by Daxin on July 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm PST.

My mistake

M. rubra is dioecious

The above followup was added by Daxin on July 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm PST.

One day I'll grow this. . . one day.

So according to the reasearch I did it seemed that they would be able to grow in places in California. Someone (Tom?) I don't remember told me they have one growing at the UCB botanical gardens.

I kind of gave up when I couldn't find a source. I found seeds at one point, but they had probably been sitting around for quite some time.

The above followup was added by Brian on July 21, 2010 at 0:02 am PST.

They can handle the cold

They can handle the cold, at least it appears they can. Though not sure about duration, that might be a factor. I found research showing that they are grown in some cold frost area in China. Also early research data from when the plant was first tested in Florida.

Not sure about duration but seems that can take around high teens to low to mid 20F.

The problem is, short seed viability life, and not all that easy to sprout. I did find a seed supplier in Hunan China, but would need a import permit, other then just for a few seeds.

Everyone seems to want them, but not much of supply in the US.

Many of us want some. I did research a few years ago, not much data, but it seemed to indicate, nearly tropical and no supply at all, but things and data has opened up, prospects look better now.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson Waterford CA zone 14 on July 21, 2010 at 9:20 am PST.

hardy in Berkeley hills

There's an old specimen in the UC Berkeley Botanic Garden above campus, so they can handle at least one northern California climate. Unfortunately, as noted above they're dioecious, it's a single tree, and thus there are not lots of fruit and seeds laying around.

The above followup was added by Tom A on July 21, 2010 at 9:50 am PST.

Myrica rubra germination

In china gibberellic acid is used to break dormancy

The above followup was added by lue on July 22, 2010 at 9:03 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:04 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login