Search the Archives

Avocado tree's distance from the house?

Avocado tree's distance from the house?

Well, I am going to plant a Holiday avocado tree. I believe that the avocado tree root is shallow, yet it can spread widely, so how far as much as I can, from the house should I plant the tree ? Any advice will be appreciated.

The following thread was started by Twan on November 13, 2010 at 9:15 am PST

10 ft. minimum

Under no circumstances should you plant a tree whose bole or limbs will come closer than 10 ft. to a residential building. If you are in a wildfire-prone area, the district might require a 30ft. tree-free buffer around the house. This is increasingly showing up as a requirement in homeowner insurance policies as well.

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on November 13, 2010 at 12:48 am PST.

Yes, at least 10 feet

Yes, I agree with Steve, at least 10 feet. That is if you are going to keep it smaller, as one can much easier with a Holiday.

I have seen tall large 40 to 60 feet trees with trunk diameters around 2 feet, 10 feet away from homes, with no observable damage or cracks to the foundations. But then not inspecting the foundation fully and crawling under the home, who can before sure. But there were not obviously visible signs of damage.

I have seen avocado trees easily and quite often uplift side walks with 8 feet of the trunk, but then they don't have much weight or depth. A factor too is keeping it water happy, the problems I have seen, are usually in yards where the tree was not well watered and they go looking for water, and large roots come to the surface.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA zone 14 on November 13, 2010 at 1:03 pm PST.

Holiday....specific growth

Holiday avocado trees are smallish trees that are not nearly as agressive as most other avocados. My 18 month old tree is a whopping 3 feet high. Of course, it is important not to out-think common sense, but it is much less an issue with this variety.

The above followup was added by Ed of Somis on November 14, 2010 at 9:12 am PST.

Holiday avocado

Thanks for all the input, everyone :) I'll heed your advices and plant the tree as far away from the house at I can.

The above followup was added by Twan on November 14, 2010 at 12:56 am PST.

plant as close as you want

i plant trees close to my house which shades and reduce my heating bill. when doing so i get a 24-30 inch resin based pot, cut the hole out of the bottom of the pot then dig a big hole and sink the pot into that, which controls the spread but allows a tap root. i have holiday avacoados and other smaller less agressive tree planted in a narrow side yard using this technique. and keep the trees trimmed or espaliered and drip irrigated so the root structure does not have to expand, the roots stay where the water is and i dont let the the crown spread much beyond the od of the pot size i select which controls the growth. you cant go by rules of thumb some trees need to be much further than 10 feet from the house like walnut trees which need to be about 20-40 feet depending on the variety. a holiday can probably be safely planted only a few feet from the house even without the potting technique. remember to mound it or elevate it. good luck.

The above followup was added by steve on November 15, 2010 at 11:22 pm PST.

Avocado next to the house?

I would not plant an avocado tree right next to the house, no matter how "dwarfing" the avocado may be. Avocados have seriously invasive roots and will mess not only with your house foundation but also with pipes.

The potting idea Steve has is pretty good if you really want to do it. If the pot is deep enough, you should be able to prevent lateral root growth.

The above followup was added by Axel on November 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm PST.

Root spread control

Thanks, Steve, for such detail information. I don't think I have the talent or patient to do it. But it's good to know. Thanks, Axel, for your input too. I think I have found a spot that is about 15 feet from my house and 10 feet from the fence. So it's safe for the neighbor's house as well as mine.

The above followup was added by Twan on November 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:45 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login