Search the Archives

grafting loquats

grafting loquats

Has anyone any wisdom on grafting loquats in the garden as opposed to in pots? Nil success so far. Read somewhere they cam be grafted onto pear or even apple rootstock.

The following thread was started by bsilverstern on April 13, 2005 at 9:30 pm PST

Successful grafting

I've grafted mature loquats onto seedlings without trouble - Yes, they were in pots as I only have seedlings - however I found the simple wedge graft, taped firmly and the scion protected with a sealed plastic bag worked well. If your grafts on an existing tree didn't take, I would suggest you look at the potentially high light/heat levels you get when grafting in the ground without the option of putting the graft in a shady spot till it takes.

The above followup was added by Nigel(NZ) on April 14, 2005 at 0:52 am PST.

Loquat Grafting

Bsilverstern,

I think that the key to successfully grafting loquats, as with most evergreen fruit trees, is to do your grafting when your stock plant is flushing new growth strongly -- the more strongly, the better. If you have potted plants in a greenhouse, you can control this growth to some extent. With a plant in the ground, all you can do is wait until nature prompts your plant to grow.

Here in California, that time is right about now -- most loquats that I've seen are just starting to harden off their massive spring growth-flushes. If you're somewhere else in the U.S., you may need to wait a while longer for this growth to commence. And if you're in the Southern Hemisphere, like Nigel and others on this board, you may have months to wait.

I have successfully grafted loquats using wedge grafting, as well as with shield-budding. The one advantage of budding (over scion-stick grafting) is that you can make multiple grafting attempts on small seedlings, and that any scionwood that you have will go farther (multiple buds can be extracted from one small stick). But you should use whatever technique you are most comfortable with.

Anyway, if you have managed to graft potted plants, you should be able to graft in-ground trees as well. Your "nil success" is probably due just to bad luck -- even if you do everything right, lots of grafts may fail anyway. That's been my experience with everything except dormant-wood apple grafts, which seem to take under nearly all circumstances.

The above followup was added by Ashok on April 14, 2005 at 1:46 am PST.

Unsuccessful at grafting loquat.

Hi, I have not been successful in grafting my loquat tree. I have a sterile 15 year old tree. I tried grafting it using a splice graft. I should have used other techniques as well but didnt. A month and a half later I checked the unions. They did not take. I stil have some still wrapped on the tree and will leave them there a few more months. If I'm lucky maybe one will take. I'll try the wedge and shield budding technique but I read somewhere that you can graft loquats anytime except when they are fruiting. So since mine never fruits is it ok to collect scions from loquats that ARE fruiting and graft them onto mine? Does anyone know of a source in the SF bay area where I can get Scions for loquats?
Thanks
Meixue

The above followup was added by Meixue on April 19, 2005 at 11:11 am PST.

Grafting Loquats - Nigel (NZ)

I live in Whangamata and have found an exceptionally good fruit-producing tree from which I have grown a few seedlings and wish to graft from the tree.The seedlings are just up and growing. When is the best time to graft and is the wedge-graft the best ? How old should the seedlings be to graft ? DG

The above followup was added by Dave Gordon on June 02, 2005 at 8:16 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:49 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login