Search the Archives

Avocado tree disease

Avocado tree disease

My avoxado tree is large, 20 years old and covered with healtjy fruit. It is getting small brown spots covering the leaves, and leaves are dropping. Any idea what this could be. If you can help, much thanks, Micki

The following thread was started by micki on June 15, 2005 at 7:20 pm PST

New Pest

There is a new pest, I believe coming from Mexico that produces those symptoms. Don't remember the name, but the San Diego County Ag people can fill you in on it.

The above followup was added by pitangadiego on June 15, 2005 at 10:14 pm PST.

Persea Mite

This is probably the Persea mite. If you use a microscope to look at the shiny small spots on the underside of the leaves you will find the mite under her web with eggs. She kills that spot on the leaf and with many mites you have spotted leaves that eventually will drop. There are predatory mites you can buy (expensive). Best bet is to keep the tree healthy and producing new leaves. Look at the underside of the spotted leaves for the shiny spots (webs). Sprays are not too effective as the mite is protected by her web. Temps above 90 degrees will reduce mite numbers.

The above followup was added by Jack Swords, Central Coast, Nipomo on June 16, 2005 at 7:44 pm PST.

Newer Pest

No, there is a newer pest with those symptoms.

The above followup was added by pitangadiego on June 19, 2005 at 3:13 pm PST.

Avocado Lace bug

This is th new problem:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/banana/msg0616064914566.html?4

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:7xU60RNEb8YJ:www.avocado.org/growers/pdf/AvoResearchWinter05.pdf+avocado+lace+bug&hl=en

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/03/15/news/inland/30405201219.txt
http://www.sdfarmbureau.org/Pages/Feb05newsletter.html

The above followup was added by pitangadiegoi on June 19, 2005 at 3:25 pm PST.

New avo disease

Surely could be the lace bug, but the evidence left behind by pests would indicate which one is causing the damage. The lace bug leaves larger areas of necrotic dead parts on the leaf similar to salt burn, but not at the leaf tip. The persea mite leaves small dead spots a little larger than 1 mm all over the leaf. Both attack next to the veining, but the mite has quite evident shiny spots on the underside of the leaf, again 1 mm in size. These reflect sunlight and are a conclusive indicator. Leaf drop in abundance is also symptomatic of the persea mite, with the 1 mm (or so) spots evident all over the dropped leaves. Must be a San Diego problem as we have the mite up here in Nipomo, but no lace bug (yet). It'll be here so thanks for the info and references so we can be aware of another impending pest. I notice that only my Hass are affected by the mite, but other varieties that have the mite do not drop leaves or show evidence of damage. Wonder if that is true with the lace bug?

The above followup was added by Jack Swords, Central Coast CRFG on June 25, 2005 at 7:15 am PST.

Huntington Beach Haas

Our back yard Avocado tree began having small webs that are wound up with bits of the tree. Next came the spots on the leaves. Now the leave are dropping along with the Avocado turning black and dropping off.
Tempatures have remained under 82 degrees this year.
Tree was growing nice & full a young avocado.
Continues to grow new leaves, yet white foam looking substance has formed on some of the joints.

The above followup was added by Kathryn on July 17, 2005 at 5:42 pm PST.

avocado infection

I am getting spots on my leaves, the leaves turn brown when they die and then drop off. This is the first time I have had so much fruit and they do look healthy and the new leaves come out looking healthy. Should I spray soap on the leaves so that the don't get this bug? or do you have another suggestion?

The above followup was added by Pattie on August 26, 2005 at 2:40 pm PST.

One or two pest?

Our Haas has had the leaf problem for several years but the fruit was always healthy. This year though, we seem to have a pest invading at the stem and burrowing in and then the avocado seems to rot within. Any ideas what this might be?

The above followup was added by Gaye W. on October 09, 2005 at 4:34 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:31 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login