Search the Archives

Longan Growing Experience in N. Cal

Longan Growing Experience in N. Cal

Any Longan Growing Experience in N Cal that one can share?

I got mine from southern california, and the adaptation to Bay Area seems to be slow. Only recently I am getting new shoots small red ones, only after some leaves turned yellow and dried off.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zhurui23/detail?.dir=f99c&.dnm=8978.jpg&.src=ph

How long till you get flowers and fruit? Need winter protection? Watering Schedule? Fertiliser applied?

Thanks.

The following thread was started by Nancy on July 13, 2005 at 1:31 pm PST

That will be me...

Nancy,
I have a 4 year old Kohala Longan.
It tends to alternatly bear fruit. Heavy fruit one year then none the next. ( Prefer the taste of Lychees over Longan )
Any temps below 32f seem to damage the top leaves, but just like a cherimoya, a thick canopy seems to protect most of the leaves from severe damage down to about 27f.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on July 13, 2005 at 2:02 pm PST.

Kohala Longan in Santa Cruz

I've got one, and it's loaded with blooms. Not sure how much fruit I will get this year, but it's definitely blooming heavily and growing. I had given up on it, but this year seems to suggest maybe I should let it grow a while longer. It's been in the ground about 2 years.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on July 13, 2005 at 2:46 pm PST.

Longan care

Hi Jeff , Axel

Did you guys have to do anything to get the tree to fruit? how many years after planting you get fruit? water more than other plants like citrus? how much fertiliser you put in? frost protection needed?

I also wanted to try Lychee, but after reading the info online, it seems Longan is better suited for our climate, and less fussy about frost. Although the S. Cal nursery owner told me that Lychee and Longan should be fine up here in Bay Area, but not Mango which he also sells. I am very tempted, I am sure it will be quite a site to see the Lychee tree blooming.

Thanks.

The above followup was added by Nancy on July 13, 2005 at 3:07 pm PST.

Longan in Southern Ca

I have a Longan tree that a friend gave me as a gift 4 years ago as I had never heard of it before then. It was 4 ft high when I planted it and is now 7 ft tall. If I were it growing it commercially, I would soon be bankrupt as its growth and the amoujt of fruit has been sparse. Nontheless, right now its a beautiful tree that has become one of my favorites. It just finished blooming and has set maybe 50 fruit.

The above followup was added by Don on July 13, 2005 at 3:35 pm PST.

My Longan

Nancy...
My Longan started fruiting the first year.
Its growth was good the first two years then I started over watering it. The tree still fruited well but growth was slowed. This past year I pruned it well then started drip irrigation... the thing is doing much better this summer than last.

I also have a Mauritious Lychee. It has flowered ... no fruit. It only started to take off this summer ... when I put it on the drip. Now it is growing fast in our 100f plus heat.
Lots of new growth.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on July 14, 2005 at 0:24 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:55 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login