Search the Archives

Malabar Chestnut

Malabar Chestnut

I'm just curious if anyone in this group has had any experience growing the malabar chestnut? I was considering raising a bunch from seed and experimenting with them.

BTW what were the prices at menlo growers like? I was considering a drive over there after reading the descriptions of some of those large plants being described and would like to have some kind of an idea how much it is going to cost me for some of the trees.

One last thing my green sapote has completely defoliated. I have no clue what could be wrong with it. It was doing fine then gradually started droping leaves. I was wondering if it goes through a semi dormant period like some other trees? I have been keeping it moist and under the shade cloth but so far it is just setting there with no new leaves. Any suggestions? I did try a little bit of fertilizer to try to push some new leaves but to no avail. Any help with it would be greatly welcomed.

William

The following thread was started by William on June 17, 2001 at 9:19 pm PST

Malabar Chestnut, green sapote

I have not tried Malabar chestnuts. I have no idea why the CRFG has a Fruit Fact on it when the fruit and the tree are relatively obscure. There isn't even mention of it in "Fruits of Warm Climates".

Based on the description, it sounds like a nice looking plant. Where did you get the seeds?

About the sudden willting of your green sapote, one explanation might be water stress. One of the most common causes of sudden wilt when it is hot is that even though you night have been watering, the water somehow did not penetrate the root ball. I just have had this happen to two citrus. Even tonns of water and making sure the rootball is wet has done no good.

Make sure it is well watered and wait a while. It should sprout again. I would recommend against fertilizing.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on June 17, 2001 at 9:47 pm PST.

Malabar Chestnut

You see these things for sale at many Garden Center as house plants. The Chinese cut them way back and grow them in a little vase and sell them as amost a bonsi (fortune plants?)
Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on June 18, 2001 at 4:41 am PST.

Green Sapote

Hey William, don't stress about the green sapote, since I am the resident green sapote long term expert grower :p well I had it 1.5 years in the ground after all : ). Let me tell you something, they drop all thier leaves except the undevoped ones each spring, it's just a sign they are about to grow again which they do in early summer. Mine does that, now that mine is getting stronger deeper roots it can make a growth flush in winter (it's doing that now), ok back to packing : )

Jason

The above followup was added by Jason on June 18, 2001 at 8:22 am PST.

Malabar Chestnut

Axel

I seen the seed for Malabar chestnut for sale through Fruit Lovers nursery in Hawaii. Their website is www.fruitlovers.com

Jeff I have seen the Malabar chestnut set up as a bonsai just like you described. They wanted $29.00 for a six inch plant at home depot. I thought no way. I would rather spend $29.00 on a mango tree.LOL

As far as the green saote I will soak the pot in a bucket of water for about 30 minutes to ensure the root ball is good and wet then place it back under the shade cloth. It probably needs more than anything to be planted in the ground. Man I wished I wasnt renting. LOL

Jeff I was checking out the pics on your website.... Very impressive indeed. Perhaps I could make one of your meetings sometime when I'm not working so many saturdays.

Well good growing to everyone.

William

The above followup was added by William on June 19, 2001 at 11:38 am PST.

Malabar Chestnut or French Peanut?

Sometimes the Malabar chestnut (Pachira aquatica) is confused with the French peanut (Pachira glabra). French peanut is the tree seen as a bonsai, known as "lucky tree" or "money tree". Check out the link to see pictures and descriptions of both.

The above followup was added by Bryan on May 27, 2004 at 6:37 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:19 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login