Search the Archives

Mango in zone8?South Carolina

Mango in zone8?South Carolina

I grow potted citrus here in the palmetto state
and I would like to know if there is a mango that can be grown in a tub with winter protection and produce fruit for me.I can't
find others here who are into tropicals other
than cold hardy citrus.Any suggestions from those of you who are in the know?Thanks,Charlie.

The following thread was started by Charles Ferguson on October 20, 2005 at 6:04 pm PST

Dwarf Condo Mangos

Charles

There are several " Condo " types that are described as being able to grow and produce fruit in containers.

" Ice Cream " is one that comes to mind as being reported to be able to be kept at around 6 feet.

" Cogshall " is another one.

" Mallika " is another one

I suggest you do a google search on Condo Mangos.

Pine Island nursery carries many of these condo types. They graft onto turpentine rootstock . I suggest contacting Colleen and she can direct you to the nearest nursery that they ship to. Hope this helps.

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on October 20, 2005 at 7:09 pm PST.

Pine Island Will Ship To Your Home

I agree with William about Pine Island Nursery. Colleen and Eric are very helpful and can give you some great suggestions. They also will ship it straight to your home via UPS. When I order plants from them (which is much more frequently that I want to admit) they usually arrive in 2 days in great shape.
One note of experience with mangos in south GA, I would suggest one other than Julie. It really seems to have trouble with our heat and humidity. I think Ice Cream is a good one and I have also been impressed with Carrie.

The above followup was added by Richard on October 20, 2005 at 8:01 pm PST.

Richard Pine Island ships to your home?

I was surprized to hear that. When did they start this practice? They always told me before that I had to go to one of their nurseries that they sell to because of the phytosanitary requirements. Maybe this has changed?

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on October 21, 2005 at 5:39 am PST.

Zone 8 mangos

Howdy,

I live in woodland Ca, whitch is preaty much Zone 8 / 14 and I recently met a fellow fruit geek (also in Woodland) who had a mango (from seed) growing and fruiting in the ground out doors. And not in the city, he was out side of town where the lows are a bit lower.

The mango was aginst the exterior south wall of a greenhouse, but other than that it was fully exposed to the elements. It was ~4 feet tall and more of a bush than a tree. It was covered with nice looking mangos that were about full size but not yet ripe. The owner said that the seedling was 15 years old and had been fruiting each year for quite some time.

He said that each winter the outside foot of the bush defoliated and died, but it always filled out again in the spring. I think with some christmas lights and row cover the winter dammage could be minimized.

Inspired by this, I am now starting some seeds, that I plan to grow in half wine barrels on wheels, so I can role them into a more protected spot in the winter.

I guess the point is, Yes it can be done.
good luck

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on October 21, 2005 at 6:30 am PST.

Pine Island Ships To Home Addresses in Georgia

William-Sorry about the confusion. I live in Georgia and they have shipped plants directly to my house for the last several years. I think the difference is the import regulations for GA are not as strict as they are for you guys out west.

I know from conversations I have had with them when I have been down in Homestead that they sometimes have trouble shipping into CA even when they are sending them to nurseries.

Richard

The above followup was added by Richard on October 21, 2005 at 12:08 am PST.

Thanks for the feedback!

I would like to thank everyone for their responses.It's nice to know people are willing to help others.SUPER! Is this Pine Island Nursery in Florida?California? Iwill check the web ,but would also appreciate any more feedback.Wonderful site here.Thanks again.Regards,Charlie

The above followup was added by Charles Ferguson on October 21, 2005 at 5:08 pm PST.

They are in Homestead Florida

If you are in the area it is well worth stopping by their place. They will actually let you pick out your plants which is really nice. That way you can get the exact one you want from the hundreds they have. There are also some great places nearby: Fruit and Spice Park and Going Bananas just to mention 2. Talk about some great places to be. WOW!

The above followup was added by Richard on October 21, 2005 at 5:23 pm PST.

Mangos In Woodland

Jeff in Woodland

Thats interesting about your friend having a 15 year old mango seedling that produces lots of fruit each year.

Did he happen to mention what kind of seedling it is? How would you describe the fruit? Did he say that the fruit was good?

I think your idea about the rowcover and christmas lights is a very good idea. It might even help in the case of an artic blast.

This has got me to wondering how many seedling mangos and cherimoyas are really out there. I am surprized as to how many very large guava trees I keep stumbling on to in town here. Mostly on the north side where there is a very heavy hispanic population. I seen a very large guava atleast 15 to 20 feet high on thursday. But no one was home to talk about it.

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on October 22, 2005 at 6:46 am PST.

Mangos In Woodland

William,

He said that the mango seedling was from a box of large green and red skined mangos that was bought from the store.

His fruit were not quite as large as most of the comercial green and red skinned varieties that I see in the store, but they were certanly respectable.

Personally I prefer the smaller light yellow skinned varieties.
I have a couple seedlings of those that have survived out doors at my parrents house in Orangevale for the last two years, but their pots are in rather protected locations.

For exotic / tropical stuf I am all for starting seeds rather than buying grafted varieties.
I am young and poor, so I have the time to wait for seedlings and lack the money to spend on exotic mail order plants.
Not to mention when the big frost comes, I wont be out a bunch of money just because I insist on growing stuff that "dosent grow" where I live.

I am also intrested in Guava.
A friend from work has a brother in Dixon, CA who has a large and productive guava. He brought the seeds back from his home town in Mexico. I am trying to get seed from him next time it fruits.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on October 22, 2005 at 7:42 am PST.

Mangos in Woodland

Jeff

It sounds to me like its probably a Keitt variety. Have you had a chance to taste the fruit? If so how was it? Did he happen to mention how the fruit tasted to you?

I am partial to Ataulfo myself. I cant seem to get enough of them when their in season. They are polyembryonic too which is an added plus. I dont know how cold hardy they are but I imagine their right in there with the rest of the mangos. I have some around 2- 3 feet that I want to set out next spring.

When David visited yesterday he brought a guava from his plant. it was white fleshed and very sweet. I really enjoyed it, and of course saved the seed to start this spring.

If you want a few seed I could mail you a few.

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on October 22, 2005 at 12:47 am PST.

I looked online and it appears it could be a Mexican Cream or close to it.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on October 22, 2005 at 1:34 pm PST.

Guava

William,

I would love a few guava seed.
Maby I can find somthing to trade with you.
Send me an e-mail at:
jmmills@ucdavis.edu

The above followup was added by Jeff on October 22, 2005 at 5:20 pm PST.

Guava Seeds

Jeff I have to mail some seed to someone else on monday so I'll go ahead and send you some too.

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on October 22, 2005 at 5:49 pm PST.

William if you run out or want to grow more for yourself, I have lots, I have been saving all of the seed from the fruits.

I can help send seeds if you want, I have lots of them. Plan on starting bunch of them, but wow, I have a lot now, and I still have a few fruits which have not fully ripened yet.

I glad this fruit tasted good, if it had not been, I don't think I would of become interested in growing others then what I have already.

But looking for the killer tasting guavas can become a worth while quest.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on October 23, 2005 at 2:13 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:46 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login