Search the Archives

A discussion in Guava leaves

A discussion in Guava leaves

Check out the different leaf shapes. I have seen maybe 50 of La Verne Red Malaysian and this one has different leaves than any of the others. To me the shape is like my seedless guava leaves but, still very red as the rest of their Red Malaysian. La Verne and Califtropicalfruittrees and Exotica seem to disagree on the names of the plants. Thai Maroon looks the same from Califtropicalfruittrees. Exoticas' labled plant has no red to it at all. Just thinking it maybe time for some one to come up with cheap genetic test and then scientificaly track them.(What, 10 years away?)

The following thread was started by Gregory in Palo Alto on October 30, 2005 at 4:00 pm PST

Oh, what happened to the fruit?

Dang squirrels bite into them but, do not eat them. There might be a couple left but, I should of had a great crop.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on October 30, 2005 at 4:04 pm PST.

Have you seen a P. guajava black?

I have only one plant out of 20 plus seed, which survived last winter here, all at 2 inches tall.

This was seed from the CRFG seed bank, I got pink, white and black. Almost all of the black seedlings had at least a hint of some dark purple color to the stems and leaves. This seedlings young new growth is very dark purple, with a hint of purple in the leaves.

It was just my fortune that this was the only black seedling which survived, as I was wanting to keep this one out of all of the rest, which only had light to very faint purple.

Is there really black guava. I assume it means the fruit skin color or maybe the flesh color?

I have to wonder too, if this is really similar to a dark red/crimson guava.

Any ideas?

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on October 31, 2005 at 0:27 am PST.

Variety ID

I have seen allot of molecular biology papers published on guava, I am sure that the sequence / marker resource needed to fingerprint and ID varieties already exists.
If it dosent, you could always use AFLP markers.
Not that you could do it at home, but it would be a nice project for someone at a university.
You might poke arround on the net and see if someone is already doing this, or other similar molecular work on guava.

The above followup was added by Jeff on October 31, 2005 at 6:20 am PST.

Black Guava? Oxford link.

I suck getting seeds to start, I hope you protect the lone survivor better. I ever I get it to fruit, I will mail you some seeds. The shape of the leaf make me want to think "seedless". The fact is seedless almost always have 1 to 3 seeds that are some rarely viable(so I have been told). The other thing about seedless is that they do not fruit reliably, so bad that Sri Siam and several other growers said that they prefer not to sell the plants. I have had tons of flowers blossom then drop later. This happened many times where I have fruit on the other plants.

Below is about pineapple guava, and is so close up, it is sort of gross.
http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/78/4/513.pdf

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on October 31, 2005 at 3:53 pm PST.

That is what I am thinking Black Guava??, but here is the story

Last year I ordered some Psidium guajava seed from the CRFG Seed Bank. They had listed 3 types at the time, white, pink and black, and I order all three.

I have not idea what is black, I assume the white and pink refer to inside flesh color, but what about black? Is it so purple it looks black? Or does it more refer to the color of the stems or young stems, or skin of the fruits. Is is simply some from of dark purple guava?

I have to wonder if the person who sent in the seeds, even knew the names of the guava varieties, and they only listed them by their color.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on October 31, 2005 at 4:22 pm PST.

black guava

i think it could be the chilean guava, which have small berries-sized fruit.

The above followup was added by jet heng on November 03, 2005 at 10:47 pm PST.

Seedless Guava

Gregory, do you have anymore pictures of this "Crystal Seedless." And more information. The leaves are exactly like a mystery seedless guava I have been looking to id for a very long time. I had always called it Thai seedless because I got it from a Thai gentlemen long time ago. The one I have produce very few but extremely large fruits, 2 pounders at times. Thanks.

The above followup was added by richard in LBC on November 08, 2005 at 11:31 pm PST.

Crystal seedless picture

The picture of the 2 Crystal Seedless is next to a Thai Seedless. I ordered the air layered plants from Hawaii, 3 have died, 2 survived. They flower really well where I have them but the "would be" fruit drops. I am hopefull. The air layering process is slow and this is not really the only product from Frankies Nursery in Hawaii so, check them out and be patient. I am still in line for a Indonesian Seedless, I recieved 1 and it died, the leaves were different then any that I had before. I am getting better at the plant growing thing. As far as I am concerned a giant planter bucket and lot of peat moss is the best choice to keep the guavas alive.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on November 17, 2005 at 8:22 pm PST.

The Thai Seedless guava

This Thai Seedless guava is from East LA, CA. It is grafted, and that is why there is rooter pots on a couple branches. Maybe not this year but, a killer frost would kill the plant to the ground and then what? Go to Mimosa Nursery in East LA. Nice folks. The plants flower great but, again the flowers drop after so, no fruit. All things considered, the plant are young, I expect fruit at some point.
Behind the tree is a Red Malayasian that is fruiting, purchased from Exotica.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on November 17, 2005 at 8:37 pm PST.

MUCH THANKS

THANKS Gregory. I have finally id my unknown seedless guava. Looks like its a "Crystal" the leaves is the most unique thing ever.

From my experience with it. It seems to be a headache trying to get them to fruit. Most usually just drops. I think it seems to be pollination and humidity problems. Looks like yours are flowering, are the fruits holding?

Check out the link. Its a picture of one of the fruit I got this year. It weighed something like 2lbs and 6 oz.

The above followup was added by richard in LBC on November 19, 2005 at 1:19 pm PST.
Wow. that is one inpressive fruit.

Your in Long Beach? How big is your plant? If I send you a couple of rooter pots( you wrap them around a branch with peat moss in the pot ) Will you try to make a new tree for me? I will also offer up copyies of any of my guavas. Most of my guavas types have rooter pots or have made root suckers that I am splitting off.
I should be getting down south again this year and I will stop by Sri Siam and take a couple pictures of the 2 seedless that he gave me fruit from. The fruit tasted different from each other, if I remember correctly one was very lemonade like and the other like a granny smith. Both very good.
Rate your fruit.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on November 21, 2005 at 8:11 am PST.

yes and old

The tree is pretty darn old. Like 8yrs or something like that. Yeah I could make a new tree for you. What is your email address. The fruit texture and tastes is almost like an Asian Pear but without the acidity.

The above followup was added by richard in LBC on November 21, 2005 at 11:28 pm PST.

Contacting Gregory

I think you can see what needs to be changed, GregoryCushing at hotmail.com. I will get the rooter pots out right away, in the spring it took almost 4 months to get a major bunch of roots to just about fill up the pot. That is the result for my 10 year old unknown red guava. The pots are reusable so have fun with them. I sure am. I have many duplicate guavas in 5 gallon buckets waiting to get bigger. Some are already promised but, I have more that are for fun, trading or when they get big enough, my rental house( they are very lucky, I even told them they could sell the fruit) so that if I move back there will be preminum adult guava trees at the house. I had also just finished remodeling most of the house, it will be a great place to return to someday.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on November 22, 2005 at 1:53 am PST.

Seedless Guava

Anybody knows where to buy good seedless guava varieties.
Thanks,
Tmshwe

The above followup was added by tmshwe on February 07, 2006 at 5:51 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:56 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login