Search the Archives

Growing hass avocados in Texas

Growing hass avocados in Texas

Hello! I have a question in regards to growing a hass avocado tree in Texas where summers are hot and winters are cold (29 degress)at times. Can I grow them outside and cover them in the winter? Also, can growing an avocado tree from the seed produce fruit?

The following thread was started by Lionel F. on March 24, 2006 at 7:47 pm PST

Lionel F. They don't mind heat, especially with greater humidity

Avocados in general do quite well here in the Central Valley in CA, and our summers can get pretty hot. With a low of only 29F you must be near the Gulf, but is that average max low, I am sure it get colder then that when a arctic blasts comes down, which that region gets about every ten years.

I chat with some from Houston Texas and around there who are growing grafted avocados and a few have Hass seedlings producing fruit.

Avocados are not know for coming true to parents, doing so is like winning the lottery, but it does seem to happen more often then those persons in authority would like to say it does.

I am going to email you about this further, I know people there who are doing it, they should be able to advise you more.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on March 25, 2006 at 7:40 am PST.

Grow Mexican types

There are three kinds of avocados, Mexican, Guatamalan, and Indian. Mexican avocados are high elevation species that can take a lot of cold. Guatamalan are tender, and Indian are completely tropical.

For Texas, forget Hass, it won't be worth the trouble to keep it alive, it won't like the hot and humid Summers nor will it like the occasional cold spells that hit Texas. Try Mexican types like Mexicola or Mexicola Grande.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on March 25, 2006 at 11:49 am PST.

Hass is hard

I have one Hass tree that's in a good spot but it's overbearing all the time so much that you can't keep the food up to it, it's much better to have an Avocado that makes a sensible amount of fruit!, a large Hass tree would make thousands of fruit a year, it's just too many for the tree to handle

The above followup was added by Jason on March 25, 2006 at 5:15 pm PST.

When to pick avocadoes

I have 3 avocado trees that I grew from seeds.

One of the trees has produced 5 or 6 avocadoes about every couple years.
I have never picked one, but have waited for
them to fall off. They are very tasty.
This year I fertilizrd with avocado food and
2 of the trees have 100 to 200 avocadoes.
If I can keep the squirrels from eating them,
when do I know to pick them.

The above followup was added by Ross Blain on June 11, 2006 at 3:32 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:14 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login