Search the Archives

Marcus Pumpkin avocado

Marcus Pumpkin avocado

Has anyone in the group tried growing the marcus pumpkin avocado ? I was reading on Hopkins Nursery chart that it can reach 48 oz. Wow thats a big fruit. A guy could make a meal out of that ! I am trying to find a nursery who will sell me a couple of scions so I can graft it up. There are several Florida varieties such as Choquette , Custers Red, Brogdin that seem to be more cold hardy. I wonder if anyone in California is trying these varieties ?

William Visalia Ca

The following thread was started by William on May 06, 2006 at 3:30 pm PST

I had one

I bought a real nice online line last year... Did good in the container.... but when I put into the ground...it went down hill fast..... bad location with poor drainage is what I'm guessing.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on May 07, 2006 at 9:41 am PST.

Marcus Pumpkin avocado

Jeff

Thanks for the info. I am considering creating a multi- grafted avocado made up of all these Florida cultivars I am going to try Hopkins and Pine Island nursery for scionwood. Some of these different varieties seem to be hardy enough. It might be fun to try and grow them here.

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on May 07, 2006 at 10:10 am PST.

Can't Ship to California

I tried to get a Marcus Pumpkin avocado last year. Unless you can find someone inside California you will not be able to get one. They can not be shipped into the state. I have 10 varieties of avocado and wanted that one also. I did a lot of research, and could not find a place to purchase in California. Kern

The above followup was added by Kern on May 08, 2006 at 7:05 am PST.

Unless they were cerified

The guy that got mine from claimed that he was certified to ship to Cali..... don't know if he was or not, but I got one anyway.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on May 08, 2006 at 7:16 am PST.

Florida Avocados

I got mine shipped from Tam's Trees in Florida. Looks like they might be moving though. You can try to call them to see what they have. Just Google it. I bought grafted trees though.

I have Brogdin & Choquette here in Phoenix. Two years but no fruit yet. The only bloom I have got (so far) is on my Mexicola. The trees are growing well but young so I expect that.

Good luck.

The above followup was added by Sean on May 09, 2006 at 8:42 am PST.

A friend in Miami is sending budwood

I just recieved an email last night from a friend in Miami who offered wood of Choquette and Marcus Pumpkin so hopefully the grafts will take.

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on May 09, 2006 at 4:03 pm PST.

This is way risky

William,

My recommendation is to not graft wood from Florida. Getting citrus or avocado wood from out of state is putting the California economy at risk. We have way too much of our agriculture dependant on these crops.

There's a reason these restrictions exist. Other plants I can understand, but avos and citrus are sacred. it's not worth the risk to our agriculture.

Also, you might want to investigate getting wood from the Avocado germoplasm in California instead. You might be able to get the same varieties from them.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on May 11, 2006 at 1:28 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:53 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login