Search the Archives

The best tasting Passion Fruit

The best tasting Passion Fruit

I am sure you've all heard about passiflora ligularis, it's supposed to be one of the best tasting passion fruits. Well, on one of my trips overseas this month, I came across some delicious passiflora liguaris at the market. They were sold as "granadillas".

Let me tell you, ligularis is one of the most delicious passion fruits I've ever tasted. I could easily eat a kilo in one sitting. Talk about delicious, the ones I ate were grown in Colombia, probably in an ideal climate.

Here are a couple of pictures.

The following thread was started by Axel on June 30, 2006 at 6:33 pm PST

Granadilla "passiflora ligularis"

Inside the fruit, there is a gray pulp with black seeds. The seeds aren't bothersome at all.

It's quite tasty, sweet, and full of flavor, and it lacks the acidity most other passifloras have.

The above followup was added by Axel on June 30, 2006 at 6:37 pm PST.

Pinnastipula tastes very similar

What's interesting is that passiflora pinnastipula tastes very similar. Even though it comes from a completely different passion vine, it's quite similar to ligularis both in pulp color, texture, and taste.

Here's a picture of pinnastipula.

The above followup was added by Axel on June 30, 2006 at 6:39 pm PST.

Pinnastipula is the "granadilla" for cool climates

I have two pinnastipula specimens, each geneticallt slightly different. The fruit is delicious, no question about it, but one vine produces fruit that tastes much more like granadilla. The other one is slightly different.

Here's a picture of pinnastipula open with the flesh visible. I recommend this vine to anyone in the Bay area who wants a granadilla type passion fruit. This one is vigorous and easy to grow, and sets fruits on its own.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on June 30, 2006 at 6:42 pm PST.

Source for P. pinnastipula

Thanks for the info on P. pinnastipula. Passionfruit are one of my favorite. I am always looking for a good tasting passionfruit for our cooler, south GA climate. Do you know of a source for P. pinnastipula?

Many Thanks.

The above followup was added by Richard on June 30, 2006 at 7:17 pm PST.

Pinnastipula is no good for GA

Pinnastipula is in the tacsonia family of passiflora and requires a drier, more mediteranean climate than what south GA can offer. But you can always try. I always have extra seeds.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on June 30, 2006 at 10:45 pm PST.

tacsonia

Axel,

Any chance of seeds from your better tasting pinnastipula? (is it pinnatistipula btw?). My ligularis is really not nice at all as a fruit, but beautiful as a foliage plant. Maybe this tacsonia might be what I need?

The above followup was added by Ben on July 01, 2006 at 8:25 pm PST.

I can send you some seeds

Send me your postal address to axel at ureach dot com. I'll send you seeds of the fruit I just ate. You can grow a bunch of vines and select the best tasting one.

The ligularis was really good. Have you tried growing ligularis in your greenhouse? Might give you better results.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on July 02, 2006 at 4:00 pm PST.

passionfruit

The ligularis commonly known as the makisa in Indonesia is a very cheap fruit sold locally everywhere. We have the illegal peddlars selling them in Singapore for $4.50SGD for about 25 pieces of the fruit. Do you guys get them cheaper than this?

The above followup was added by jet heng on July 02, 2006 at 8:37 pm PST.

Nice tacsonia!

The requirement of a drier, more mediteranean climate of P. Pinnatistipula is a good reason for wishing to have also me (I live in Sicily - Italy) such seeds. I have a 2 years p. littoralis that has not given me the chance of, say 1 flower or 1 fruit!
Yesterday I trasplanted some others littoralis in shadowed locations (under citrus), plus some edulis flavicarpa and p. mollissima.

Axel, can I hope to have some seeds for me too?
:-)))

The above followup was added by Francesco on July 02, 2006 at 11:55 pm PST.

Axel

Axel, I sent you an email, but it came back, saying you are over quota. Have tried again.

The above followup was added by Ben on July 03, 2006 at 2:19 pm PST.

Try again, cleaned account

I cleaned out the account, so try it again.

Thanks.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on July 03, 2006 at 2:47 pm PST.

Jet, nope

It is nearly impossible for it to be as cheap as $4.50SGD or ($3.00USD) for 25 fruits.

I rarely even see these in any supermarkets or fruit markets, so if they're here, it'll be expensive.

The above followup was added by Jonathan in San Francisco on July 04, 2006 at 9:32 am PST.

Axel - P. pinnastipula & P. ligularis

Axel,

Wow! I'm thoroughly impressed with your knowledge and collection of Passiflora! I just became obcessed with them this year and am trying my hand at growing P. edulis, P. mollisima, P. incarnata, and P. alata at the moment. I live in Indiana, but have a great little greenhouse sunroom that I can easily over-winter them in. Is there any way I could perhaps get some P. pinnastipula, P. ligularis, or P. laurifolia seeds from you also?
I have a collection of other unusual plants that I would be happy to offer in trade if you're interested. You can email me at
feather moon 74 at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
Denise

The above followup was added by Denise on July 04, 2006 at 3:54 pm PST.

To Axel

Axel,

Writing to you here because I have sent you a couple of e-mails recently and they all came back with a "Quota exceeded" message, so I guess you haven't received them. I just wonder whether you have been able to mail the Pinnatistipula seeds yet? I know you're busy and I would gladly quit bothering you, but I just can't find seeds of this species anywhere else!

Best regards,
Igor

The above followup was added by Igor on July 07, 2006 at 4:38 am PST.

new grower of Passiflora Ligularis

I have grown passion fruits for years and have been quite successful (p.edulis). I have been looking for the large granadilla type and just bought two plants (p. ligularis) this morning. I live in East Palo Alto, CA in an area where I can grow a variety of subtropical plants (guavas, bananas, white zapote, etc) I plan to plant one plant outside and one in a pot in the greenhouse. are there any suggestions you might provide me to make sure my plants survive the coming winter. My other subtropicals normally do OK throughout the winter but any tips about the p. ligularis or the where can I find the p. pinastipula variety will be appreciated. My e-mail is johnmchavez@comcast.net

regards,

John

The above followup was added by John M. Chavez,Ph.D. on October 10, 2006 at 2:05 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:10 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login