Search the Archives

Avocado tree shedding fruit

Avocado tree shedding fruit

I have a medium sized avocado tree, approx 35 foot and this year have had the largest crop of fruit ever... but the problem is that with the fruit having reached around 3 to 4 inches, much of the fruit is falling off the tree every day.... so much for my bumper crop! At this rate, I will be lucky to end up with even just a few fruit.

As far as I can see, there is no obvious problem with the tree.... so why is the tree shedding so much fruit and how do I stop it happening?
Many thanks
Pavlos

The following thread was started by Paul Stylianou on August 13, 2006 at 5:40 am PST

It could be...

It is known as summer fruit drop. Very common occurance with avocados, i am experiencing the same thing. I don't know the cause.

The above followup was added by AlexG on August 13, 2006 at 2:48 pm PST.

We had a discussion on this a couple years ago, hormones.

Avocados seem very sensitive to changes and stresses. It came out in our research, that they emit or have a hormone, which triggers fruit drop. It is a self protective measure by the tree, a self survival mode.

I wonder if once it starts, how long it takes to stop the process.

Alex is correct, about summer fruit drop, the main hit is usually when the fruit is small, but I guess it could go on, as the tree tries to protect itself. We just went through a super hot sell here in CA, that would do it. I made sure to keep my ground nice and damp, to avoid any more drop, as I don't have very many to begin with, on my young tree.

Helps to keep the soil damp, keep mulch on the ground, fertilize in June and around Oct Nov.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on August 13, 2006 at 3:43 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login