Search the Archives

GOLD Kiwifruits growing soon?

GOLD Kiwifruits growing soon?

Last spring I bought some GOLD Kiwifruits and naturally I keep a part the seeds and sown them.
Now I have about 15 little seedling of kiwifruits, apparently in good health (pics soon will be posted..)!

Now I ask to the experts (especially to my NZ friends Ben & Nigel... :-) ): do you think they are going to be true GOLD Kiwifruits or they will only grow a wild a. chinensis?

The following thread was started by Francesco on September 07, 2006 at 1:15 am PST

Francesco, the odds are not with you.

We had this discussion a year or two ago on Cloudforest, when I saved some seeds and asked this same question.

It so happens that not only do the seedlings not have much of a chance to be like their parent. But they actually back tract generations to previous parentages, making it even worse.

I saw the research data online. They planted acres and acres of seedlings over decades, to come up with the Golden Kiwi. And who knows how many thousands of seedlings were needed to find something good or better in this case.

I had heard that in CA, that a nursery was selling Scion wood for the Golden Kiwi a year or more ago. But they were by some agreement only allowed to sell to commercial growers for grafting over their existing green Kiwi varieties.

I would think that eventually someone is going to get a hold of this scion wood, and it is going to get out into the underground market. Maybe it already has, and someone knows the who and where.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 07, 2006 at 9:04 am PST.

You sure David?

I remember the talks we had before about Gold Kiwis being about how the Gold one is a different species and will be true to type so long as it wasn't pollinated with a green one

The above followup was added by Jason on September 07, 2006 at 10:07 am PST.

I am always lazy but...

now I will give a look a the old discussion on such argument...
Thank you David and Jason!
:-)

The above followup was added by Francesco on September 07, 2006 at 1:23 pm PST.

NZ Kiwis

Our Hort Research company keeps a fairly tight lid on the material associated with gold Kiwi's. Funny really as every grower has to heavily prune literally tons of the vines each winter.
The Hort Purdue site (link below) has some interesting background on this

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/pdf/v4-342.pdf

I haven't bothered growing this as it is so cheap in the local markets - yesterday green Kiwis were 69c a kilo. Why bother?

The above followup was added by Nigel(NZ) on September 07, 2006 at 3:08 pm PST.

Jason

Here they are more like 69 cents EACH and are allways that price and I live in a climate that can grow Kiwi's perfectly. You really have to wonder why no one grows them

The above followup was added by Jason on September 07, 2006 at 10:03 pm PST.

Argh

Sorry about that silly name in theTitle

The above followup was added by Jason on September 07, 2006 at 10:40 pm PST.

Not good chance...

It seems I have not good chance!
:-(

But let's take it like it is: I have statistically the odd to grow a new strange variety. Maybe a pink kiwi, with very long hairs and with a mild flawour...with far reminiscence of lemon, ananas and mango taste!...
:-)))

The above followup was added by Francesco on September 08, 2006 at 2:34 am PST.

Jason, maybe we decided that, but that was not what the online data said.

I was also talking to one of our CRFG members, who has a Phd in Agricultural Science, he was the one who originally told me about the thousands and thousands of plants it took to just find the one; and the major regression with seedlings.

But who know until someone tries it, and maybe they could be lucky.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 08, 2006 at 1:47 pm PST.

Ok :)

But from what I've read yellow kiwi's grow wild in China and are not something invented in New Zealand with breeding, it's quite clear when you look at the plant compared to a green one that they are different!. So I'll stick to my story until someone grows out a yellow seedling and gets a bad fruit :)

The above followup was added by Jason on September 09, 2006 at 0:58 am PST.

I do think I remember them originally coming from China

Seems it took 10,000's of trial seedlings to get the finally result which they wanted.

Could be one would merely get maybe smaller ones or something. Not sure what they were trying to achieve, and what they really started with.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 11, 2006 at 2:51 pm PST.

two kinds of yellow kiwis

A. chinensis vs A. deliciosa

The 'good' yellow kiwi is A. deliciosa, not A. chinensis

at least according to my extended brain... wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit

The above followup was added by joshua on September 11, 2006 at 5:37 pm PST.

:)

That's what I thought, I agree with mr wiki

The above followup was added by Jason on September 12, 2006 at 3:19 am PST.

I am trying to remember, maybe they crossed the Golden and Green forms.

I am trying to recall, I am wondering if they said they crossed the two, Golden and Green, to get a fruit looking more like the Green in size and appearance.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone9 on September 13, 2006 at 8:24 pm PST.

I am going to grow the seed of golden kiwi

plese help me for growing seed of kiwifruits

The above followup was added by azam on September 18, 2006 at 9:50 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login