Search the Archives

Ecuador Pink Brugmansia

Ecuador Pink Brugmansia

I finally got some blooms this year. It almost crumped out over winter and took this long to bloom!

The following thread was started by Carlo on September 10, 2006 at 4:34 pm PST

HERE IT IS

OOPS HERE IT IS!

The above followup was added by Carlo on September 10, 2006 at 4:35 pm PST.

Different colour!

Hi Carlo, I have one of these plants (not flowered yet) and saw the parent that was different in colour.
The one here was more of a dusky rose colour, not quite as pink.
Hmm, can't wait for mine to flower now.

The above followup was added by Nigel(NZ) on September 10, 2006 at 10:01 pm PST.

brugmansias

They are like weeds in the Bay area, but most everyone who has a nice garden has one or two, or three, or....

I have 8. This one is an unsual one from Ecuador, and its very very frost tender and flowers are HUGE, others are not so much.

The hardiest is the single white called Betty Marshall (should be planted more often), then the 2nd hardiest is Charles Grimaldi, the classic yellow one. Then there is the double white (very nice and relatively common), the orange one (I have it but dont know the name), its VERY frost tender. Another relatively common one is Frosty Pick, the flowers are tilted 45 degrees, I like it. I also have Jean Pasco (I highly recommend it, tilted, brilliant orange). I dont recommend Peaches and Cream or Jamacian yellow. I tried to grow B. sanguinea but it needs cool (yes cooler than lower Oak Hills) and humidity and I killed x 3. Its fabulash, but alas it croaked. It flourishes on the Portugual coast.

carlo

The above followup was added by Carlo on September 11, 2006 at 1:08 am PST.

brugmansias, brugmansias, brugmansias!

Nigel, here is a variety of them

just cut and paste this and then type in Brugmansia under plant search and voila! many many varieties!!!!

http://www.logees.com/

The above followup was added by Carlo on September 11, 2006 at 1:20 am PST.

same here..

Grimaldi is easy...Frosty pink is late to flower and more tender to cold. And sanguinea is incredibly heat phobic. I gave up..its not a great looking plant overall. Even the big ones in S.F. look weedy.

The above followup was added by Stan on September 11, 2006 at 7:32 am PST.

B Sanguinea

Hi Carlo, thanks for the web address. I've got a sanguinea flowering in the garden right now. It's early spring here and we're in the low C's at about 3-4 degrees overnight. None of my brugs seem to mind the cold (the snails - yes!).
If you're interested I can get a pic.
They are hard to propogate initially but not too bad once established. I'd like to cross this with some of the larger flowered varieties but I understand there's some sort of incompatibility here?

The above followup was added by Nigel(NZ) on September 11, 2006 at 2:30 pm PST.

pics would be nice of Brugs.

Nigel, sure I would love a pic. I have found that my many Brugs. I have are TOO easy to propagate, When I hack them in winter and if I dont get all the stems off the ground, they start to sprout! Plunge a semihardwood piece 1/2" daimeter and at least 6" length or preferrably longer straight in a pot of moist soil and voila! Sprout city in 3 weeks.

c-

The above followup was added by carlo on September 11, 2006 at 2:51 pm PST.

yellow sanguinea

There are different colors forms of B. sanguinea, too. Here is 'Inca Princess' which is an all-yellow form. It looks smashing with Tibouchina urvilleana, but unfortunately the amount of overlap of flowering season is rather short.

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on September 11, 2006 at 5:51 pm PST.

HEY STEVE, NICE PIC OF INCA PRINCESS

Is that a recent photo? Brookings must get hot and dry, does it do well? I have found the first 6-12 mos it kinda takes off (I guess its a self-fulfulling prophecy, 'cause I plant it Fall/Winter) then it crumps the minute it gets warm & the humidity drops below 40%.

:>((

Carlo

The above followup was added by Carlo on September 11, 2006 at 7:47 pm PST.

slow

Carlo,

That picture is from last May, I believe. 'Inca Princess' has been very slow so far. Regular B. sanguinea is quite robust by comparison.
Brookings does not get hot and dry. This is basically a fern, fuchsia and rhododendron climate (that pink flowered thing in the foreground is Fuchsia microphylla, in fact). We barely get warm at all, and the dew points are usually just a few degrees lower than the ambient air temperature which sucks as far as human comfort goes. For summer vacation, we go to Pacifica or Half Moon Bay to warm up. This is a good climate for B. sanguinea. I didn't think that I could grow the suaveolens hybrids, but this year a little Brugmansia x 'insignis orange' that I had sitting around suddenly rocketed up to nine feet tall and is in bloom now. It is not as orange as I had expected, it looks a lot like 'Charles Grimaldi' to me.

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on September 11, 2006 at 9:48 pm PST.

worlds foggiest climates..

H.M.B. and Pacifica both claim to have the foggiest weather in the world..and i can also really see your point Steve, in that you have corn growing next to a thermaphobic Ecuador pink!.....if you can put up with the runny nose from the mid summer chill working in those climates-well,at least they LOOK very lush and tropical ...

The above followup was added by Stan on September 12, 2006 at 9:08 am PST.

payoffs

I don't think I would live here if I weren't interested in growing interesting plants...and there are a lot of exciting plants that do prefer cool summer climates. This is a good climate for tree ferns and vireya rhododendrons, two kinds of "subtropical" plants I'm very interested in. Here I am with a R. leucogigas x helwigii hybrid that bloomed last spring. Each flower truss is about the size of a canteloupe. They have as much tropical bling as most any orchid, yet you rarely see these pictured in subtropical gardening books because they don't like warm dry conditions.

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on September 12, 2006 at 1:24 pm PST.

bodacious blooms

a close-up:

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on September 12, 2006 at 1:28 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login