Search the Archives

Redwood Vs Eucalyptus (regnans)

Redwood Vs Eucalyptus (regnans)

I surfed across the oct 2005 archive discussuion of the Redwoods Vs the E.Regnans....

As an Expat aussie now living in beatuful Vancouver BC.....I couldn't help comment.....

The redwood forests of Nth California are pretty impressive.....the massive redwoods (Coast and Giant) are truely amazing.....and everybody who loves trees should take a wander through these beatiful Old Growth Forests.....

BUT......I bleed green and gold blood........and am getting all my seeds/seedlings/ducks lined up and this spring (April-ish 2007) the planting commences.......I live near a huge area of government green space - so the arena has been chosen....lotsa rain, not too hot or cold....so it's the perfect environment for all comers.....basically it's rainforest ...

Side by side groves of giant redwoods/coast redwoods/E.regnans....and a sprinking of some other tall growing E's as well.....I may even throw in some douglas fir as well for local content.....

In our kid's and grand kids lifetime.....the arguement will rage on......and the story will be told (around a camp fire or in a pub with copious amounts of beer being consumed) of the upstart Aussie trees that came to these shores and kicked the redwoods squarely in the teeth.....

As Hoges would say..... "...that's not a tree.....this is a tree..."

The result .....what can I say....AUS filling the top 15-20 positions....USA maybe cracking a top 20 if they get lucky.........and a pink ribon for the Canadians for trying to keep up......but not really being in the hunt....

Cheers

The following thread was started by Aussiebob on October 23, 2006 at 2:39 pm PST

Advance Euc Fair

Regnans sure takes a lot to beat in a suitable climate. I've seen them in the coastal hill country here in NZ (cool, frost free wet) at almost 1m diameter in less than 5 years. No planted Sequoia comes anywhere near that in this climate.

And I also think regnans is a lot more beautiful. I do have a hardwood bias though.

The above followup was added by Ben on October 23, 2006 at 6:00 pm PST.

regnans wont do well in the fogbelt..

Redwoods are ancient primitive trees.Tthe dinosaurs fed on them. So why you would expect them to grow fast outside of their native climate...besides Redwoods and Sequioas are like tortoise vs hare...its who finishes first. And as an article last month proved-the tallest living things on Earth are the Redwoods of the California north coast. 376 feet+..the tallest three trees-at least ,are Redwoods,and the most MASSIVE trees on Earth are California Sequoias. Eucalyptus regans claims are of trees that no longer exist and 19 century measurements.We could claim that Redwoods once exceded 450 foot in the pre European days of north America.I understand that 500 feet is the largest height any tree can grow on the planet due to physics.Just not possible to go over that height.

The above followup was added by stan on October 23, 2006 at 7:13 pm PST.

regans life span

I shouldnt say it isn't possible for reagans to reach huge sizes in the fogbelt-or inland. Blue gums reach huge proportions in Haywards blessed climate.Some are among the largest in the state-i know because i saw them.Huge. But,regans may not live long enough to surpass Redwoods.

The above followup was added by stan on October 23, 2006 at 7:26 pm PST.

:)

My regnans is still growing unwatered unfeed on a fairly dry hill right beside a young blue gum of about 90 feet. The regnans would be say 60 foot? I'm not sure I don't look at it often anymore but it's just over 5 years old. I have no doubt they can and have reached well over 400 feet in the past within their 4-6 hundred year life span but it probably wont happen again since they need alot of shelter from other 400 foot trees to reach that height in the windy 40 degree south latitudes that they grow in and alot of them have and are being cut down before the get that tall.

Like Stan mentioned the redwood is an ancient tree from a long forgotten time, when there was no hurry to do anything, regnans is a very modern agressive tree that can grow faster than any other tree in the world in rubbish soil and fairly harsh climates, eucalyptus are the ultimate weed.

Talking about ancient trees, I don't know if any of you have grown a bunya pine from seed before but it's a very strange strange sight to see, I felt like I was taking a fast trip back to a very very long time ago

The above followup was added by Jason on October 23, 2006 at 9:15 pm PST.

This is universally accepted and not a story:)

Although this redwood is currently the tallest tree, it is not the tallest tree in history. A Eucalyptus regnans at Mt. Baw Baw, Victoria, Australia, is believed to have measured 143 m. (470 ft.) in 1885. Formerly, another Australian eucalyptus, at Watts River, Victoria, almost certainly had been over 150 m. (492 ft.) tall.
Methods of measurement are merely quicker today and easier to determine down to microscopic values. The 19th. century wasn't the dark ages for accurately estimating size:)

The above followup was added by Grant on October 23, 2006 at 10:31 pm PST.

Grant...

Aren't you going to be a bit ticked off when a regans planted in California,surrounded by Redwoods ,in two or three centurys from now-becomes the tallest tree?
Then California will have ALL the tallest ,best trees.

The above followup was added by stan on October 24, 2006 at 10:16 am PST.

This is universally accepted and not a story:)

I'm happy to run with the old tape measure method as opposed to some gizmo that you stick a couple of AAA Eveready's in. I'd be happy to lean on the E regnans in Victoria being the tallest trees on earth in recent history....it's a pitty our forefathers put a bounty on any tree over 400'.....Hundreds if not thousands of them must have been cut down for little more than fire wood.

I read that article a few weeks back about the tallest redwoods recently found......the footnote being.....how do they measure it.????....they send a guy up with a tape measure....

Has tapemeasure technology changed that much in the last 100 -150 odd years....are they easier to read now???? Did the tape used to stretch back then????

I'll post photos and maybe a link to a website in the coming months....

Cheers

The above followup was added by Aussiebob on October 24, 2006 at 10:44 am PST.

ahahah

No doubt Stan, I planted a redwood 5 years ago when I planted my regnans and the redwood is still about 5 foot tall :) vs 60 foot. I can only imagine what a regnans could do in the fertile ground of California, if you can find somewhere that actually rains year round

The above followup was added by Jason on October 24, 2006 at 10:45 am PST.

aussie bob..think of fish wopper storys..

A little nationalism could have inluenced the "readings"..maybe a large branch bent upwords during the fall added to height...just saying..I mean no regans ALIVE now approaches those sizes so we may never know.
I'm pretty sure they used new laser measuring instruments on the California mega tree.

The above followup was added by stan on October 24, 2006 at 11:02 am PST.

Stan

Stan, have you visited the regnans forests in Victoria and Tasmania? You may be impressed.

The above followup was added by Ben on October 24, 2006 at 1:13 pm PST.

To Be Fair...

Not that I get 10' a year out of it......but I did plant a Coast Redwood Seed (S. sempervirens) in my yard about 7 years ago......it's now a good 30' high and looks pretty impressive....

When I first moved to this part of the earth (Vancouver BC) .....about 15 years ago ...there is no way that a Eucalypt would have survived the winters - except maybe a paciflora (snow gum) .....but now that the global warming thing has really kicked in.......it rarely gets below 0' (metric). In general - the winters are milder and the summers are a little longer...but still lotsa rain : (

So now the big guns (E. regnans) are coming out to play....

No matter what big tree forest you walk in - they are pretty inspiring.......I used to do weekend bushwalks through the blue mountains all the time when I grew up in Sydney.....(I probably walked past the Wollemi Pine Canyon a hundred times, without even knowing what was down there) anyway I digress......walking amongst the big trees anywhere in the world - is great therapy.

The above followup was added by Aussiebob on October 24, 2006 at 1:46 pm PST.

Eat ur heart out Stan

There's no shame in being second best. Sorry just been fishing for a nibble:). Even if regnans has the "potential" to be the tallest tree and would appear to be the tallest tree ever "recorded". There is no doubt that the giant Sequoias are the most massive trees now and "ever" as Stan said.

The above followup was added by Grant on October 24, 2006 at 2:32 pm PST.

most massive trees...

I'm glad that is cleared up.....thats' something I deffinately would want to bandy around.....and lay claim to having the fatest tree in the world.....

didn't that also cause a big problem when they were logging the Giant S.....when they cut them down - they were so FAT that they shattered and split - which made the lumber useless.....

The above followup was added by Aussiebob on October 24, 2006 at 2:46 pm PST.

HAYWARD BLUE GUMS..

I will try to take some pictures of some local blue gums growing in a moist canyon-it's where i walk my dog on occasion.No,they are not as big as reagans or Redwoods-you could never drive a car through the trunk if hollowed(except a Mini) but according to the local parks they are a couple of the largest in the state. Then maybe drive by the library where some of the largest Redwoods and Bunya Bunya trees around are growing.

The above followup was added by stan on October 24, 2006 at 3:43 pm PST.

One More Thing

Something approaching 90% of virgin redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) forests were cut in the late 19th and early 20th centuries before preservationists managed to save a few small remnants. Most of these "old groves" are now in state parks or are incorporated into Redwood National Park. These remnants of virgin forest were not saved because they contained the biggest and best, but because they were all that was left. Before this belated response to the devastation, virtually all of the very largest trees that were in easily accessible areas were felled. No one was running around with a tape measure. In true American fashion they were only interested in making money. One only has to visit any coastal forest in the redwood belt to see the ghostly remains, in the form of enormous stumps, of these giant trees. My point is that there were very likely many, many trees destroyed that would tower over the current record holders and put those questionable Aussie 'records' to bed once and for all.

The above followup was added by Kurt Mize on October 25, 2006 at 7:56 am PST.

I doubt it:)

There were always preservationists around. They just had no voice. Consider Australia was just a "colony" at the time with no real botanical resources compared to the US. For botanists to be snooping around searching for new and varied species you can guarantee that they were measuring. Most explorers had or were botanists before that time.
Nice try though:)

The above followup was added by Grant on October 25, 2006 at 1:58 pm PST.

It's a disease

Sounds like a bad case of "tree envy" to me...

The above followup was added by Kurt Mize on October 25, 2006 at 3:31 pm PST.

Yes but,

The first step to a cure is admitting you have a problem:)

The above followup was added by Grant on October 25, 2006 at 4:02 pm PST.

Tree Envy....with a side of nationalism...

I found this article about recently discovered tall trees in the Pacific Nth West...it includes a para or 2 about the aformentioned maligned tape measures.....and the FACT - that a EUC was the tallest tree....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/07/MNGQRL0TDV1.DTL&hw=tree&sn=001&sc=1000

The above followup was added by Dingo on October 26, 2006 at 7:45 am PST.

what is the tallest regan right now?

If the tallest today does not even top 300 foot..it might be wishfull thinking to claim 497 foot. We could claim-based on stumps- 499 foot or more....And who knows?ancient Sequioas might have gone over 400 foot AND with those enormous,massive, trunks.Givng you the equivilent of TWO giant regans!

The above followup was added by stan on October 26, 2006 at 3:35 pm PST.

Sorry Stan:)

We're only going on documented claims not what if's. It was a British documentary that I first heard the claim about regnans and American experts don't deny it. Judging by Dingo's article there could yet be an undiscovered redwood or regnans that could top the record. (would appear more likely a redwood). In any case the fact is that the redwood is the tallest living tree at the moment.

The above followup was added by Grant on October 26, 2006 at 7:54 pm PST.

Stan

Victoria was basically burned to the ground in 1939, that's when all the last few giant regnans that survived logging would have been killed. If you want to be a believer just grow one, even if it's only for 4 years. You will be astonded

The above followup was added by Jason on October 26, 2006 at 9:23 pm PST.

prove it..this way..

If you down south could send seed you collected in habitat to UC Berkeley..i think it could end up in the collection and planted out.Your chance to be immortal.
I'm pretty sure there are no Regnans in the collection of the local botanical gardens.Hmm,something to look into..

The above followup was added by stan on October 27, 2006 at 9:04 am PST.

nope,they dont have one.

I just checked their database.No regnans. So,collect wild seed with data(they only accept wild plant/seed with data) contact UC Berkeley..your in like flynn.

The above followup was added by stan on October 27, 2006 at 9:14 am PST.

Euc's in Cal...

They may not be too receptive to another Euc in Cal at the momment.... especially after those 4 firefighters souls were lost fighting bushfires...in a Euc grove....

The above followup was added by Dingo on October 27, 2006 at 4:27 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:54 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login