Search the Archives

Feijoas have lots of flowers but no fruit yet

Feijoas have lots of flowers but no fruit yet

I have about 3 feijoa plants. 2 from seed, and one older natzemetz feijoa. All of them had tons of flowers. However, I still do not see any baby fruit yet.
Is this normal?

Can feijoas overwinter and develop later during the year?

Some flowers that I see on the feijoa has lost all their petals, but still have their flowering overies intact for a long time. Do you think those will become fruit?

The following thread was started by Jonathan in San Francisco on November 02, 2006 at 3:52 am PST

odd...

here in berkeley mine flower in the spring and i harvest them in the fall. this year they all fell in early september, but i think they would have developed longer if i had watered enough. are you watering? are you out in the avenues? it's hard to get that sandy soil to hold enough water. if mine don't get water after they bloom i get no fruit.
i have seen other trees with fruit falling in november, or even occasionally january but most of the ones i see fruit when mine do.
did yours start a new flush of blossoms after that brief rain and then hot weather a couple of weeks ago? or are they still hanging on from spring? have the ovaries swollen at all?
ellen

The above followup was added by ellen on November 02, 2006 at 8:01 am PST.

Are they close togeather?, Might be had to have sex from a distance.

I keep hearing that pineapple guava can be self infertile. Are they big enough to do some trimming? I have taken a branch and gone from tree to tree brushing it around. Also, do you know about the white petals being edible? When I was snacking on them my fingers were covered in pollen, artificial insemination. Feed them, I like to just use grass clippings but, a plants got to eat.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on November 02, 2006 at 8:58 am PST.

I'm sure Inspector Gadget has no trouble

Sorry I couldn't resist :) I can't remember when my feijoas flower but I have the feeling it's in the Summer sometime, I have stupid ones that make tiny fruit anyway. I do have some seedlings of gigantic NZ ones on the way though

The above followup was added by Jason on November 02, 2006 at 9:31 am PST.

Ellen, think i have enough water. Mulched good.

Ellen, yes, I'm in the Sunset District. The ground is heavily mulched with leaves, and amended with steer manure compost, so the soil is quite good at holding moisture.

I found that the steer manure does wonders for adding water retention to sandy soil, along with leaf mulch on top.

Maybe, I should watch the water issue more closely next year. When they fruit, water like crazy and see if that helps.

Ellen, mines started around early July and are still hanging on right now. I even hand fertilized all of them as they started opening up using flowers of different trees, and even a little of their own pollen just to be safe.

So far, all I have is flower bulb with an slightly swelled ovary. Some of them just have their petals fall off but have a stamen sticking straight up. Others have lost their stamen, but still have the little ovary bulb at the base of the flower.

Mines didn't start a big new flush of flowers, as much of the flowers came in early July. I might have several new flowers during the heat wave, but not many.

So any chance I can get the feijoas later? Like in spring instead? Or no chance of fruit this year?

Gregory, yes, I eat the petals once in a while.

The above followup was added by Jonathan in San Francisco on November 02, 2006 at 1:54 pm PST.

feijoas

I live in oak ( lower hills in piedmont area), they flower in May/June and produce fruit in Aug/Sept. I harvested all already. They dont fruit over winter.....they should've fruited already. They need some heat, so that is the problem. the fruit may hang on overwinter if its warmish, but not very tastey.

carlo

The above followup was added by carlo on November 02, 2006 at 8:18 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login