Search the Archives

What's the scoop on Eleanor's VF-11?

What's the scoop on Eleanor's VF-11?

As a longtime organic gardener and born skeptic, I've always stayed away from "potions and spells" that are supposed to perform miracles on ailing plants. When I mentioned to a friend a couple of weeks ago that a few of my young subtropicals seemed the worse for wear, especially after the big freeze, he handed me a bottle of Eleanor's VF-11. I confess, I tried the stuff and found that these plants immediately showed rapid signs of recovery. Here are my questions: what's in this stuff and is it something that I should be putting on my plants (especially because I'm strictly organic)?; if plants respond so quickly and actually put on rapid growth, will this growth be weaker than had it struggled and grown at a normal rate?; am I hallucinating or was this the horti-placebo effect?

The following thread was started by Merbert on May 23, 2007 at 6:31 pm PST

no experience myself, just a link

hey Merbert,

I've never used it but here are some other's experiences, hope it helps.

-Ethan

http://www.epiforums.com/showthread.php?t=882&highlight=eleanor+vf-11

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield CA9b on May 24, 2007 at 8:57 am PST.

content

The funny thing is when you use the stuff, plants actually do grow.

The active ingredient doesn't need to be listed chemically because it isn't a fertilizer, or because the concentration is so low, that they can just call it "plant hormones" or something like that.

So try to imagine a hormone, effective at low concentrations, an acid in fact, that you could put on a plant that would make it magically elongate and perhaps even break or inhibit dormancy, or stimulate seed germination.

Get the message?

Superthrive works the same way.

In fact I'm thinking of putting out my own brand, "Luen's WOW-99."

-Luen

The above followup was added by Luen on May 24, 2007 at 9:16 am PST.

How to make your own VF-11

Get tree stump dissolver, and dilute it, et voila, you have VF-11. There's no magic in this. potassium nitrate in dilute form will do magic when sprayed on leaves.

Another thing that works well is kelp spray. It delivers micro-nutrients and really helps with the health of plants.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on May 24, 2007 at 9:33 am PST.

another hint

The true active ingredient rhymes with "Fibberellic."

Produced in nature but what's in VF-11 I doubt qualifies as organic by legal defintion.

-Luen

The above followup was added by Luen on May 24, 2007 at 12:12 am PST.

Giberelic acid

I am not sure it's giberelic acid in there, is it? Are you sure?

Hmmm, I might just start watering my seeds with it.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on May 24, 2007 at 12:16 am PST.

giberelic illegal?

forgive my ignorance, but I thought giberelic acid was illegal in CA unless you have permits (grape industry uses it alot)?

-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield CA9b on May 24, 2007 at 1:01 pm PST.

Flashbacks of 1960s college botany class

AHA! Just as I suspected - the magic G-Acid or a similar compound. I feel like a teenager at UC Berkeley back when giberelic wasn't the only acid on campus.

The above followup was added by Merbert on May 24, 2007 at 5:00 pm PST.

GA

No, I'm not absolutely sure, but that is what an Industry Source told me, someone who should know. I heard it at a talk on the use of 1-MCP as a replacement for silver thiosulfate as a flower preservative. The talk touched on a wide range of plant-chemical subjects. The speaker was just full of interesting tidbits of information like that.

(Another interesting one was you know that white stuff that floats at the bottom of lemon juice concentrate? You want to know what it is? You sure you want to know? It's fungus. Go ahead, have some more. No, don't be shy, go ahead! Make sure you get some of that stuff off the bottom, that's the best part.)

And I think the fertilizer/pesticide labeling law only applies to ingredients over a certain concentration, else it specifically excludes plant hormones and secondary chemicals, or something like that. There is some loophole.

What I want to know is what does Eleanor look like now? The picture in the ads I see must be from the early seventies. Gotta love the hair.

-Luen

The above followup was added by Luen on May 24, 2007 at 5:29 pm PST.

Luen, that's just why we try to grow our own food

Things haven't changed much since the time of Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle". Who knows what is going into our food? At least, when I grow my own, on my own dirt with my own seeds, I feel like I've got some control over the situation. It sure stimulates culinary creativity. Hmmm, what shall I cook tonight with today's harvest of blue potatoes, fava beans, amaranth and mustard leaves, cilantro and garlic chives?

The above followup was added by Merbert on May 24, 2007 at 6:57 pm PST.

tomato fruit set..

G-acid is what is in that isnt it? It will make roots grow where they shouldnt also...

The above followup was added by Stan on May 25, 2007 at 10:20 am PST.

Axel is right

It's very diluted potassium nitrate, something like .001 percent. In fact, a 1lb. container of stump remover would probably make hundreds of gallons of VF-11.

Eleanor must be making a bundle.

The above followup was added by Tom on May 25, 2007 at 1:01 pm PST.

Forgot to add

There's Potassium Phosphate in it too. The same applies, buy an 8oz. bottle at a chem supply store and dilute it and along with the stump remover you've got home made Eleanor's at a fraction of the cost.

The above followup was added by Tom on May 29, 2007 at 4:32 pm PST.

Already took your advice

Thanks, Tom, for the addendum. Who needs ambiguously labeled products with no listed ingredients from mysterious one-named ladies?

The above followup was added by Merbert on May 30, 2007 at 10:56 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:18 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login