Search the Archives

how to get rid of snakes

how to get rid of snakes

We have been finding a lot of snakes on the property to which we recently moved. In 8 weeks there have been at least 6 snakes. One was small, inside our basement entry door. Another was slithering down our sunporch, having crawled out of the gutter. This past weekend there was a black snake at least 4 ft. long coming out of the bathroom wall. ( there is a piece of trim missing as we are in the midst of a remodel on this 150 year old house). Yesterday an even larger black snake was on our side porch Today a large black snake hissed and struck at my daughter as she walked by. This was approx. 15 feet off our side porch. We have dogs on this side of the yard which do not seem to deter the snakes. I think our cat would lose a fight w/ one of these large snakes. I have been told guinea fowl will kill them but they are so large I find that hard to imagine. We must do something as they are obviously not afraid to come up to, or inside the house.

The following thread was started by jon on June 26, 2007 at 2:55 pm PST

Where are you, are you in the country? What about guinea hens and or white chinese weeder geese?

They keep them out of their territory, at lease poisionous ones. Up in Eastern Oregon, always had Guinea Hens, they will kill and run snakes out of their area, as well as many types of bugs. In their native area, the idignious people plant their crops where they live. Otherwise, they bugs and etc would get it all.

I had neighbors up in Eastern Oregon who had Chinese White Weeder Geese. One day he got rid of them, as he was planning to move. The never next morning after doing so, he found 2 rattlers sunning themselves on this raised up concrete back porch sets.

I saw the Guineas I had attach even hawks and birds of prey getting into their area. I have seen them fly/coast off the top of the hill above the area where I live. They would dive and hit the birds of prey swooping down to get some of their own or the chickens. The Hawks would get up and fly away, but I have heard of them killing them at times, they het them so hard.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone9 on June 26, 2007 at 5:55 pm PST.

why get rid of them?

It doesn't appear from your post that these are rattlesnakes. One would have to conclude that they are only the beneficial species. In general, snakes consume large numbers of small rodents. In most states -- and in California in particular -- Fish and Wildlife regulations prohibit capturing or injuring native reptiles. The large black snake is probably a California king snake which is entirely harmless. Cats rarely get involved with snakes. It is part of their ancestral instinct from the wild to avoid them that has stayed with them. I don't think you have a problem.

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on June 26, 2007 at 8:57 pm PST.

I am with Steve.. keep the snakes!

Snakes are a gardener's best friend. they eat all kinds of critters that are the bane of our existence. I was so tired of seeing my tomatoes just suck down a gopher holes before my eyes. Then a lovely big gopher snake turned up on my driveway. A contractor who was over to bid on fixing something offered to dispatch it for me. I shocked him by genitally picking her up and putting her in a rock wall in my garden. She re payed me by eating all those gophers.I have lovely tomatoes now! I say yay snakes!

SB

The above followup was added by Sheila Bailey on June 26, 2007 at 10:00 pm PST.

Maybe he's here in Australia

We have the 20 deadliest land snakes in the world and some of them are aggressive. We usually call the local wildlife expert and they remove them for free as a community service and then release them out bush. You can't just live with some of these buggers.

The above followup was added by Grant on June 26, 2007 at 10:08 pm PST.

:P ha

You guys have a different perspective on snakes than the average Australian, Snakes here can will and do kill you pretty fast. There are about 4 different snakes in my area and all 4 are very deadly and will strike at you when you just walk near them if they are in a hyper enough mood. I have a snake raised up about to go me or striek at me about once every two years on average, it's not much fun but it does give your adrenalin glands a cleanout :) Human evolution seems to have given us fast enough reflexs to instincivly dodge a snake bite most of them time so that says to me that snakes have been trouble to us for a looooooong time.

Jon, mow your grass and fix the holes in the walls :) and have compression bandages for snake bite near by and then you can learn to live with them, they wont laze around in the short grass incase something eats them

The above followup was added by Jason on June 27, 2007 at 4:03 am PST.

Do not put a compression bandage on a snake bite

Do not put a compression bandage on a snake bite. This is a very very very bad thing to do. Look it up, check out the pictures of what happens when one uses compression bandages on snake bites.

In North Amerlca we have little chance to be bitten by a wild snake, usually some tool who has turds for brains tries to handle said snake (and has no idea how to do do) or tries to save the day by killing the snake and ends up envenomated through one kind of stupid or another.

Leave the snakes alone if you are in fear of them. Remember however, that fear is easily combated by knowledge.

Also, you Australians have fae less deaths from snake bite that say India or Malaysia ( or similiar) Many many hard to spot terrestrial guys stepped on by bare footed feet lead to HUGE numbers of victims.

Also, some of Down Under's most deadly snakes have few or no deaths attributed. The LDL is one thing, actual stats another.

Check em out

Alan

The above followup was added by Alan_Tampa on June 27, 2007 at 10:34 am PST.

Striking snakes

Even if a snake strikes, it doesn't mean it's necessarily dangerous to be around unless of course it's a poisonous species. Sure, you can get an infection from teeth abrading skin, and some have a very good latch and can draw blood. If you saw Mike Rowe catch Lake Erie water snakes on Dirty Jobs, you've seen what happens.

The above followup was added by Barry on June 27, 2007 at 12:03 am PST.

get rid snakes

You oculd come live here in NZ, we have no snakes at all.

Yesterday I discovered huge losses to my Ceroxylon palm seedlings due to rats. Where do I go to import some rodent-eating snakes?

The above followup was added by Ben on June 27, 2007 at 2:07 pm PST.

Ca Reptile harvest

Steve.. I am pretty sure that you can hunt for snakes for food or what ever..in Ca if in posseson of a hunting licence for snakes... Fishing licence for turtles and lizards... many are unlimited take.
Of course those on the endangered list are exceptions.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on June 28, 2007 at 0:32 am PST.

not so sure Alan

You do have to be careful Alan
I have lost two dogs in the last two years from snake bites. My last one was a Bulldog bitch two days away from having pups. I had here locked in the shed to keep her out of harms way and a Tiger snake went in there and killed here, Tiger snakes are extremely aggresive. I took here to the vet and managed to save two pups out of 9 but lost the mum.
Jon a big reason snakes come to the house is looking for mice, clean them up and you will be a long way towards getting rid of them. You must be in the tropics or up north somewhere because all of our snakes down south are asleep this time of year. Its too cold and wet for them this time of year, I got 180mm of rain in the last 24 hours, just as well I live in the hills because the valley has got some serious flooding going on.
Sean

The above followup was added by Sean on June 28, 2007 at 5:19 am PST.

You sure Alan?

I think you'll find that Australians live from snake bites because we have anti venon ready to go everywhere and bandages for snake bite in every persons first aid cupboard and are paranoid when walking in the grass. Every kid is taught how to bandage snake bites at school surely they don't give us information that wrong?. as far as I know and I'm pretty sure about this, if a Tiger Snake or Brown snake bites you properly and you don't bandage it there is no possible way to survive. I know people that have lost cows to Tiger Snakes and pretty quickly too

The above followup was added by Jason on June 28, 2007 at 7:23 am PST.

muscovy ducks are supposed to be good too

They get rid of water snakes, supposedly; I guess that would make the ugly things bearable. Anyhow, there are a lot loose in New Orleans. That is the reason given for having such ugly fowl about.
Sort of like the myth that chihuahas keep athsma away; my sister told the person who said that, But then you're stuck with a dang Chihuaha! (they were not amused.)

The above followup was added by Sarah on June 28, 2007 at 2:48 pm PST.

Muscovys can be nasty too

I have personal experience, our "pet" Muscovy, became an aggressive biter.

The above followup was added by Merbert on June 28, 2007 at 3:42 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:55 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login