Search the Archives

ice cream bean questions

ice cream bean questions

after hearing descriptions here of how tastey they were, for fun I ordered some seeds. Pretty sure they will not survive in the ground here without extra protection. I was going to try to keep them potted for awhile.

While finding info on these guys, I read you need two for cross pollination. Is that true? Is there enough genetic variability in the seeds to allow seedlings from the same plant to cross pollinate? I was thinking of multiple plantings in one large pot. I dont really expect to get fruit but I would hate to get a lucky bloom or two and not be able to pollinate them.

thanks again for the info,
-Ethan

The following thread was started by Ethan-Bakersfield CA9b on July 12, 2007 at 10:36 am PST

Inga plant just arrived this afternoon

Yikes! 2 are needed for cross-pollenization? I just bought one plant and it arrive today.

The above followup was added by Merbert on July 12, 2007 at 2:39 pm PST.

Mine almost died last winter

I have one too. I left it outside during the winter. It was 4 feet tall. It totally died back, the top trunk dead so I cut it off. Forgot about it and came out the next spring and found it growing again. It's a pretty plant but extremely cold sensitive. I got it from pacific tropical gardens. I don't see it selling there anymore but the variety I got was supposed to be self fertile. I've given up on expecting fruit though as I can't even keep the plant alive.. it seems very cold sensitive. I will bring it in this winter for sure.

The above followup was added by Meixue Bay Area on July 12, 2007 at 7:57 pm PST.

Inga Edulis growth

Inga Edulis growing in pot full of Shiso plants. Nice green foliage.

The above followup was added by Meixue Bay Area on July 12, 2007 at 7:59 pm PST.

Only one.

Definitely only need one. Figure 7-10 years before fruiting, from seed. See pix at http://encantofarms.com/frts6143.html

The above followup was added by pitangadiego on July 12, 2007 at 8:41 pm PST.

How.. what??

How in the heck can you have soooo many fruit trees? You must have tons of space/yard. You are one lucky person.. I would love to have so many different varieties of fruits. However I'd have to quit my job just to take care of them. Thanks for the pics... they are great.

The above followup was added by Meixue Bay Area on July 12, 2007 at 9:15 pm PST.

Inga Edulis

I grew a few plants from seed provided by Axel (thanks Axel) they are now about 1' high in 1 gallon pots - all 7 plants survived the winter grouped next to the house under eaves - no damage and in fact a few were quick to grow once the weather warmed.. They do look tropical.

The above followup was added by jeffEastBay on July 12, 2007 at 10:40 pm PST.

Inga feuillei is bit hardier it seems

I had half a dozen seedslings, aquired seed from Trade Wind fruits online. This past winter all froze to the soil level in the pots at least. None of the Inga edulis have come back, totally dead, but some of the Inga feuillei have come back.

I find that Trade Wind comments the later maybe a bit hardier, it seems to be true.

The leaves are a bit more grey, and I think fuzzed and thicker, where as the Inga edulis are thinner and darker glossy green in comparision.

Others have commented before, especially those from our friends from more tropical regions, that they are water suckers, and will go seaching for it, at the detriment of other plants, if in confined places. The Inga feuillei seem as in need of water as the Inga edulis, at least in pots.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone9 on July 13, 2007 at 2:59 am PST.

Inga may need cross pollenation...

depending on species.

My inga have been through some cold (about 31F) with minimal damage -under some canopy. No fruit yet.

Here is a partial view of my inga ? (2 near each other)

Alan

The above followup was added by Alan_Tampa on July 13, 2007 at 10:37 am PST.

dang it

another try

The above followup was added by Alan_Tampa on July 13, 2007 at 10:39 am PST.

brain so tiny

ok still dumber

The above followup was added by Alan_Tampa on July 13, 2007 at 10:42 am PST.

Inga and cold

Hi all, We grow so-called Inga edulis here in the subtropics of Eastern Australia. I question the taxonomy of our species, because I know that there are quite a few different spcies, and i don't know if anyone has pinned down the most commonly cultivated Inga here, where they have been introduced to from South America.

They generally do very well in frost free sites. In fact, they do so well, that they are now considered a serious weed risk here! Growing very fast, with prolific seedling regrowth under trees. However, I don't know if that would happen on the West Coast of the US.

Ice-cream bean are also vulnerable to frost, and deep heavy frosts (-6 degrees C) will totally burn-off mature trees, which may re-shoot in the spring. But I could imagine young trees just not re-shooting after being frost-burnt. But if you can keep them under canopy during winter, then they will have a better chance.

Cheers, Pete from Aus.

The above followup was added by Pete in Aus on October 19, 2007 at 5:31 pm PST.

Pollination not required

Almost forgot to mention: I don't think Inga requires cross-pollination.

The above followup was added by Pete from Aus on October 19, 2007 at 5:33 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login