Search the Archives

Is it possible for Mexicola Grande Avocadoes to grow in Gilbert, Arizona?

Is it possible for Mexicola Grande Avocadoes to grow in Gilbert, Arizona?

They are selling them at Lowe's a few blocks away. I sure would like to grow one, if possible, or some kind of cado. I have a three year old one of some kind that I grew from a pit. I'm tempted to go buy the MG at Lowe's. This is my first post here. I am also into hydroponics, if that will help.

The following thread was started by Sunny on January 13, 2008 at 0:08 am PST

cold or salt

I am not sure where Gilbert is, but most of Arizona has salty water. The mexican race avocados (like Mex-grande) are very sensitive salty soil/water, but have the best tolerance to cold. It might be worth trying, but do what you can to reduce salt build up in the soil.

If the trees for sale are grafted onto clonal rootstock (you will see two distinct graft unions) they are likely to have much better salt tolerance than if they are on mexican seedling rootstock (you may see the pit still at the base of the tree).

If you decide to go for it, please follow up with your expreiences, as there are a couple of us here who struggle with growing avocados on salty soil.

Good luck,

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff_Woodland on January 13, 2008 at 9:13 am PST.

I have Mexicola..

The Mexicola's are tough Sunny.Mine had to put up with less water as tenants moved in and out. Flowering at abour 4'. Paint the trunk and larger branches with diluted latex house paint(white) to prevent sunburn.Mulch like crazy.If any cado can take not so good circumstances Mexicola's are right there.
Never let go dry the first year.

The above followup was added by Stan/17 on January 13, 2008 at 9:16 am PST.

Arizona 'cados

I lived in southern Arizona for 15 years. Once in a while some one in Phoenix (usually in the old part of town with the irrigation canals in the front yard) would manage to grow an avocado tree. They didn't often fruit, though. There was an article in Sunset magazine, in fact, about someone who had a good-tasting fruiting avocado in their Phoenix yard that had been grown from seed. As others have said, both soil and water quality are problems to reckon with. You'll need dedication. There was a more extensive post on this subject a few years back that you may have already seen:

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/24187.html

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on January 15, 2008 at 11:06 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login