Search the Archives

when is the best time to transplant citrus?

when is the best time to transplant citrus?

Dancy - mandarin -

What would be the best time to move my Tangerine tree, (4' tall) with some very small fruit- about the size of pea's. It needs to grow in more sun, that's why I want to move it.

Will the fruit fall off? or will they continue to grow and set fruit this upcoming fall/ winter?

Thanks for any advise!

The following thread was started by Roger Oly, 8b sunset 5 on January 16, 2008 at 2:08 pm PST

Moving citrus

In Oregon, I would not move the citrus in mid Spring, say late March, early April. If you get the entire root ball, the fruit won't fall off. However, if you loose roots, the fruits will turn yellow and fall off.

Does the tree get enough sun during the growing season? because the less sun they get during the Winter, the better it is for the tree. You want full sun only from March through about end of October up in Oregon.

Down here in California, Winter sun is good for citrus, but we don't get that cold here.

The above followup was added by Axel on January 16, 2008 at 2:37 pm PST.

why is winter shade good Axel?

I know Ive heard that early morning sun on frost causes more damage, but Im not sure I buy it. Is that why you say winter shade can be good in Oregon? I get morning shad at my house until about 10am, because of a cliff/mountain to my east. and the frost just stays there until the sun hits it, and the temp stays the same until the sun comes. So I get hours and hours of freezing temps. While across the street they get sun by 8 and obviously warming.

The above followup was added by Brendan ssz 20 on January 16, 2008 at 2:54 pm PST.

mandarin

I moved a mandarin tree with 4 feet of trunk and a nice full canopy about 3 feet in diameter. I cant remember exactly when i transplanted it but it was in the spring- early, mid, late, who knows. It also had tiny fruit, which all fell off. Then it went through two whole seasons without producing any fruit. It would cover itself in blooms so much that it was difficult to see the foliage, but it dropped every fruit it set. This third year after transplanting it set an abundnat crop for the first time! woo-hoo. this picture is from November when the fruit wasnt ripe, but up to this point, they are all gone- we ate every single one.

The above followup was added by jdiaz on January 16, 2008 at 3:00 pm PST.

oops

I forgot to post the pic

The above followup was added by jdiaz on January 16, 2008 at 3:01 pm PST.

Brendan, 10AM is too early

Brendan, I've noticed that tropicals that are shaded throughout the Winter essentially go dormant, and there is little stress on the tissue. 10AM is definitely too early, it's best to have shade until at least 1PM to give the air temperature ample time to warm up.

The above followup was added by Axel on January 16, 2008 at 4:58 pm PST.

shady

It was planted three years ago as a seedling and I new to plant it behind another plant to give it some shade in winter to help keep the cold winds at bay. Now that other plant is blocking most of the light and I like to move it, so it can have more sun.
The new spot will be south exposure with a trachy to the north of it to block early winter sunshine after a hard freeze. It's very protected microclimate, there's a tall med. fan palm in front, that will mostly block the sun also in winter.
If I planted in March on our next big pineapple express! That would help the transplant shock. But maybe not the fruit.
jdiaz - I hope I can save the fruit since we have more rain, mist, drizzle, showers, etc. than N.Cal.

BTW... I am in Washington.

The above followup was added by Roger Oly, 8b on January 16, 2008 at 5:34 pm PST.

Thanks everyone, will try to get all roots in early spring. nm

nm

The above followup was added by Roger Oly, 8b- sunset 5. on January 17, 2008 at 11:09 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:55 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login