Search the Archives

Avocado in winter

Avocado in winter

I live in Washington state and our winter is full of snow and cold temps. Our avocado tree is too big to bring in, and about 1 1/2 yrs old. I have it close to the house and the branches which will fit under an eve, and a blanket protecting the roots. Since the snow started, the leaves are looking brown and sagging. Do I need to water it during dry spells? Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated, as we are determined to get this baby to California before Summer!

THANK YOU!!

The following thread was started by Nancy on January 26, 2008 at 5:24 pm PST

Where in Washington? Avocados are not grown in the Northwest normally.

The reason, even the hardiest Mexican varieties can only take down to the mid teens and survive to regrow again. I would hope you are along the coast, where you have some protection and a chance.

Most of those I know up in your area, who try to try avocados, bring them in for the winter, into their home or greenhouses. I would chance to say, that 90 percent of the Continental US land mass does not have a climate where a avocado can grow outside unprotected on its own. It is mostly grown here in CA, and even commercially only grown in Southern CA. We can grow them here in Northern CA, but are not the Hass normally, with exception of larger city areas and near the coast.

Maybe you already had some idea about this, as you brought it next to your home. They need damp soil in the growing season, but leaving it dryer would help protect against root rot, if that was ever a problem.

The out come all depends on where you are, how cold you have gotten this winter and what variety, or if a seedling from a store fruit.. You could of topped the tree, that would not of harmed it in the least, and brought it in as usual.

For more bad news, seedlings from Hass varieties are not too reliable, as far as producing fruit like their parents. Many produce no fruit at all, and some can take 15 to 20 plus years.

That is the quick and bad of it. Maybe your response will bring better news.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on January 26, 2008 at 7:03 pm PST.

How do you plan to get it to California?

An avocado tree will be confiscated at the CalAg inspection station at the border if brought down in a vehicle. You'd have to box it up and ship it down by UPS or motor carrier.
As for the immediate future, bring it inside or it's a goner.

The above followup was added by Steve in Brookings on January 27, 2008 at 5:10 pm PST.

Steve good call, I forgot about the Cal Ag inspection station.

There are exceptions, often when I was living in Eastern Oregon, and we came down for Christmas to be with family, they would just wave everyone on through. There is a crowd coming through, and nothing live is being grown in the Northwest, so I guess they let you on through.

Sometimes they stopped us, and we were carrying 1 to 3 cases of commercially grown apples from my fathers then apple orchard. We were able to tell them, they were commercially grown apples and they let them through, they are mostly looking for backyard grown fruit and vegetables.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on January 27, 2008 at 7:47 pm PST.

Don't water

Don't water it if you have had major leaf damage. The plant will not be able to use the water and you may kill the roots. Just make sure the soil is only damp. Kern

The above followup was added by Kern Hunewill in Newman 8 on January 28, 2008 at 7:07 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:58 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login