Search the Archives

nybody interested in seeds of Guabiroba

nybody interested in seeds of Guabiroba

or Campomanesia xanthocarpa?

The following thread was started by fruit-tree.com nursery on January 28, 2008 at 4:16 pm PST

Anybody interest in seeds of Guabiroba

or Campomanesia xanthocarpa?

These seeds are coming from Urubici, SC, Brazil

Marc Camargo
fruit-tree.com nursery
Visit us at http://www.fruit-tree.com
Our motto: "Preservation by dissemination"
Email: info@fruit-tree.com
Phone: 503-628-0180

The above followup was added by Marc Camargo on January 28, 2008 at 4:19 pm PST.

Picture of Guabiroba ...

taken in Brazil.

The above followup was added by Marc Camargo on January 28, 2008 at 4:24 pm PST.

Trying again ...

to post picture!

The above followup was added by Marc Camargo on January 28, 2008 at 4:28 pm PST.

Guabiroba

Marc,

Have you tasted this fruit -- if so, how would you describe it?

How much will a packet of seeds cost?

The fruit-laden limbs in the above photograph are certainly beautiful!

The above followup was added by Ashok on January 28, 2008 at 5:34 pm PST.

Not much info out there

All I can find about it is that it is native to hot dry areas and is somewhat frost hardy, grows to 40 ft tall and has a long fruiting season. Does anybody know if it will refuse to fruit in the fog, or will they just be tart? Is it weedy?

The above followup was added by Stephanie, Santa Cruz CA on January 29, 2008 at 8:52 am PST.

Campomanesia, the name just jogged a memory flash from the past

At one time I was looking for Campomanesia varieties to do research for taste and cold hardiness, but never found a source, so gave up.

So I guess after realizing what you are offering, my answer would have to be yes, I would like some seeds.

Below is a post I had saved on my external hard drive. I found it just now, hoping it might still be there. We had talked about the Campomanesia plants and fruit some time ago here on Cloudforest Cafe. Even back then there where many of us who wanted to get a hold of some of the seed, but none was available to be had.

I email a University professor somewhere in the lower Midwest. He had at one time collected many seed samples and was still had a few plants growing, but the hardiness and the flavor was not as good as he had hoped for. His plants were suffering and they were not producing much fruit.

He recommended other varieties then what he had, but I don't remember now, what he had and what he recommended trying to get. Below is a past post from Tom A. with his recommendations.

I had found a few places online, where some said these types of fruits, where much better tasting then tropical guavas. But I guess the variability in different strains has wide variability, so it was important to get good tasting strains.

David

Campomanesia taste and adaptability

David

I have never eaten a Campomanesia, although I certainly hope to in the not too distant future. Within this genus are at least several dozen species with fruit that is tasty enough to be sought out for its fruit in South America. Some species are very tropical, native to Amazonia. But some are truly subtropical, with native ranges overlapping such cold-tolerant plants as the feijoa. Everyone I know who has eaten these plants, whether American taxonomists working on the Myrtaceae in South America, or rare fruit collectors in Brazil, has very good things to say about the flavor. Some of the species that I think are especially promising for California (based on taste, fruit size, and climate adaptability) include C.xanthocarpa v. xanthocarpa, C.adamantium, C.phaea, C.laurifolia, C.guazumifolia, and others. The taxonomy of the genus probably still needs more work-- some Brazilian collectors are finding specimens in the southern Brazil/northern Paraguay/Uraguay region that seem to be new unnamed species, and some of these are particularly large-fruited and of excellent flavor. One of several generic Guarani term for the fruit is guabiroba. The flavor is said to be unique, and distinct from true guavas, feijoas, various Eugenias, and other myrtaceaous fruit. The seed is viable for only a brief period, and thus getting specimens in California is not easy. My experience is that seeds sent in moist peat, which will pre-germinate in transport, are most successful.

The above followup was added by Tom A. on October 21, 2004 at 10:07 am PST.

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on January 29, 2008 at 11:52 am PST.

Guabiroba ...

The seeds that are being collected are coming from the coldest place in Brazil, namely Urubici in the state of Santa Catarina about 1200 m above sea level. This area gets snow every year and has registered one of the lowest temperatures in Brazil. It is not dry there at all. There is evenly distribution of rain all year. It is the same area where Feijoas come from (Acca sellowiana). I am having this guy go there, collect the seeds and send them to me. I was thinking $20 for a generous amount of seeds. It may sound like a lot of money but it is a lot of work and coordination. Don't think I am making money on this. It is more a matter of love than anything else. I want to introduce some Brazilian fruits here in the US. The next ones this guy is going to collect fore me are:
Guabiju (Myrcianthes pungens) in March
Uvaia (Eugenia pyriformis) - next November

Marc Camargo
fruit-tree.com nursery

The above followup was added by Marc Camargo on January 29, 2008 at 5:52 pm PST.

Some more pictures

From a Brazilian site that was discussed last year in another group I'm a member of:
http://frutasraras.sites.uol.com.br/campomanesiaaacpsl.htm

Xanthocarpa is the lower right-hand photo and it shows a variety name. Is there a particular variety you plan on obtaining seeds from?

I sent an e-mail earlier; please post here if you didn't receive it.

Obrigado,

Harvey

The above followup was added by HarveyC on January 29, 2008 at 11:30 pm PST.

More on Campomanesia

David,

Yes, Tom A. is quite interested in the genus -- I think he has plants of at least several species. He thinks that some members of the genus may have as much potential in California as the feijoa, in terms of adaptability and eating quality.

Stephanie,

I don't think anybody can answer your questions on how C. xanthocarpa (or other species) might perform in locations like Santa Cruz -- the plants are so rare in California that there is yet no data, I think! Tom A. is trialling his plants in El Cerrito, which is probably roughly similar in climate to your location -- if he can get sweet fruit there, you probably would be able to as well.

On weediness, as far as I can tell, all or nearly all Myrtaceous plants are pretty attractive in form, leaf, flower, and fruit. The plant in the photograph above is certainly nice-looking. (If by "weedy" you mean you're concerned about it re-seeding and spreading out of control, I would guess that is a remote possibility!)

I would be interested in seeds, but probably not to the tune of $20 for loads of them ... it would be nice to try a few. Perhaps a group-order would be a good idea?

The above followup was added by Ashok on January 30, 2008 at 1:24 am PST.

If there would be a group order I would be interested too! ;-)

I im also curious to try it in my mediterranean climate. Then I could be interested too, to share seeds & costs!...
:-)

The above followup was added by Francesco on January 30, 2008 at 5:52 am PST.

This is C. xanthocarpa ...

and I don't have a particular variety. It is being collected from a private farm in Urubici, state of Santa Catarina.

I will send at least 100 seeds in each package. The seeds are relatively small.

The above followup was added by Marc Camargo on January 30, 2008 at 5:53 am PST.

Count me in

I'd be interested in contributing to a group order. Is the $20 that Ashok mentioned the price for the 100 seeds that Marc will be sending? I could go for a portion of that.

I'm concerned about weediness because I live very close to a large state park and don't want to cause problems for them or other neighbors. I'll just have to keep an eye on anything that ever fruits to make sure birds aren't spreading happily germinating seeds around.

The above followup was added by Stephanie, Santa Cruz CA on January 30, 2008 at 9:27 am PST.

Me too

I will be interested in a group order too.

The above followup was added by Pad on January 30, 2008 at 9:45 am PST.

Sharing

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I think this is a pretty small group and Marc is going to take a big enough hit on this as it is so it would be good if more of us place our own orders and find others outside of the list to share with to help spread the cost. Just my opinion......

Regarding the weediness, it makes me wonder how easy these seeds are to propagate. Any ideas on that?

The above followup was added by HarveyC on January 30, 2008 at 9:55 am PST.

If you like novelty please check out ...

my new varieties of stone fruits. Nobody has this stuff especially the fuzzy leaf apricot. It fruited last summer here in Portland and the fruit is way superior than Blenheim with higher solid content and well balanced mixture of sweetness and tartness. The leaves are velvety. This is a rare apricot which is probably an "Armeniaca zhengheensis" or "Armeniaca honginpensis". I know it is not an "A. holosericea" because the fruit is very good. "A. holosericea" does not have good fruits. Craig Ledbetter, an apricot breeder from Central CA, is extremely interested in this new apricot.

I am the first to offer the Alycha plum (Prunus vachuschtii). This is the plum used in the Republic of Georgia to make Tkemali. This is a jam that is delicious and used in traditional dishes.

Zimostoikii (translated means winter hardy) apricot is the apricot found by Maxine Thompson (OSU fruit explorer) in Tashkent. It is very late ripening and excellent taste. I was able to import it from Krymsk Experimental Station in Russia.

Kazakh apricot is a selection from Almaty, Kazakhstan resistant to shothole. The fruit is small but it is very late blooming. It blooms about 2 weeks later than Puget Gold.

Check out cherries Vinka and Altenburger Melonenkirsche.

What is coming next?
A hybrid of Prunus brigantina x Prunus armeniaca (Briancon apricot with the common apricot). Why? Because we Northwesterners are not lucky enough to have the nice springs of California and our apricots drown and freeze in the spring. This trees blooms 1 mont, yes one month, later than regular apricots and are disease resistant.

Marc Camargo
fruit-tree.com nursery

The above followup was added by Marc Camargo on January 30, 2008 at 10:10 am PST.

Marc, it just dawned on me, who you are

I bought from you in past, at least a Chilean guava. But it did not like our hot summers here in Central CA. I ended up giving it to someone in Bay Area CA, before it died completely. It loved our winters here, real hardy, but could not take our summer dry heat.

I still have your site on my favorites list.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on January 30, 2008 at 10:20 am PST.

More

Harvey,

Yes, it would probably be good if not *everybody* here participated in one single order!

My guess would be that the seeds would be fairly easy to germinate, so long as they are fresh. They probably will have a short viability window, so old seeds would most likely be problematic.

Stephanie,

It is true that some semitropical Mytaceous fruits (e.g. strawberry guava and pitanga) have become invasive exotics in warm, humid regions like Florida and Hawaii. I suppose some of the Campomanesias might have the same potential in places like those. But I doubt that this will become a problem in arid California (even along the relatively moist coast).

Marc,

I hope that you have great success in all of your collection efforts! Warm-temperate southern Brazil (and adjoining areas) is really a treasury of unknown and cool fruits that might be well suited to climates like the West Coast of North America.

The above followup was added by Ashok on January 30, 2008 at 11:01 pm PST.

Update on seed collection ...

I just got e-mail from the person collecting the seeds in Brazil and his dad who lives in the farm at the foothills of "Morro da Igreja" in Urubici, state of Santa Catarina, collected tons of seeds. He is waiting for my remittal of "moola" to send the seeds. His dad told him that the farmers around there said that the seeds need to be planted within 3 months of collection.

Marc Camargo
fruit-tree.com nursery

The above followup was added by info@fruit-tree.com on February 02, 2008 at 7:15 pm PST.

Thanks, Marc

Tons of seeds? That's speaking figuratively, I presume. Otherwise, you need to send lots of "moola"!!!

How soon do you expect to have things? I'm just hoping I can get things planted before spring here when I start getting real busy and forgetful.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on February 05, 2008 at 11:16 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:56 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login