Search the Archives

Where can i buy loquat trees?!

Where can i buy loquat trees?!

Hi there! I live in San Francisco, was wondering if anyone knew where i could buy a loquat tree?

or buy a root?

thanks!!

The following thread was started by loquat lover on February 10, 2008 at 5:15 pm PST

Loquat trees..

I have a little seedling if you would like it . The parent is a sweet orange yellow fruited guy but it could be grafted when it gets older...

Sheila

The above followup was added by Sheila bailey on February 10, 2008 at 5:35 pm PST.

Seedling are a bit unpredictable, but worth the time if want to wait and see. If not most nurseries have them in spring, even Home Depots and Lowe's, at least in the San Joaquin Valley

Many nurseries will also special order them. From what I have read and learned from others in the CRFG, Big Jim is the largest and best tasting for it's size, if size matters.

Seedlings may or may not produce good tasting decent fruit, but they also take a lot longer to set fruit, something like 8 years or more if I am remembering right.

One more option is to plant the seedling, and also graft some know variety on too, or even more then one, and double and triple your pleasure, to coin a popular gum advertisement. The advantage too, with the right vars you can extend out your fruiting season somewhat, so it is not totally all at the same time. There maybe CRFG members near you, who might be willing to do the grafting for you, and even find the scion wood as well, when the plant is matured in the ground enough after planting.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on February 10, 2008 at 5:56 pm PST.

san francisco

i live there too, the nurseries around here and san mateo will have them, but very $$$. Go to the OCH on El Camino Real Millbrae will have some around 25 - lifetime warranty too if it dies. Or the homedepot in Emeryville depends on where you live in sf. Cheapest i've seen is the lowes OF FREMONT for 19.95 no tax. Always call before you go - save on gas.

The above followup was added by mo on February 10, 2008 at 11:27 pm PST.

Sources

If you can find a garden center in your area that will special order from La Verne Wholesale Nursery (http://www.lavernenursery.com/) in LA, they carry some good grafted loquats including 'Big Jim'.

CRFG has a list of member nurseries at http://www.crfg.org/nurlist.html. Scroll down to look up loquat, and the numbers following it refer to the numbered nurseries at the beginning of the page. Many of them will just offer seedlings, but a few might have grafted varieties. Good luck!

The above followup was added by Stephanie, Santa Cruz CA on February 11, 2008 at 11:14 am PST.

Laverne grafts

I bought all four of their varieties, and I am very happy with them. Something like Golden Nugget, Big Jim, Champagne, and another one who's name escapes me right now.

I recommend Big Jim, that is the tastiest.

The above followup was added by Axel on February 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm PST.

Axel, where are you getting your LaVerne stock now?

After our Emeryville Home Depot let us down this season, I've contacted LaVerne about a new retail source for their stock. Where do you get yours?

The above followup was added by Merbert on February 12, 2008 at 3:39 pm PST.

Here in the Modesto, Turlock area, most of the Home Depots and Lowe's order them La Verne Nursery.

I have seen their pots plants to at Hischiers in Modesto, and a few others nurseries there also.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on February 12, 2008 at 7:11 pm PST.

Our Home Depots too lazy

When once I could request such things, I am getting nowhere. What a pity.

The above followup was added by Merbert on February 12, 2008 at 7:28 pm PST.

That does not make sense, special orders when they are ordering anyway is a for sure sale

Lazy or just don't care, I have seen that before.. When they are ordering anyway from La Verne, what is a few more items on the list. Some times it the nursery person, they really are not nursery people at all.

I have noticed that most vary a lot, as to if they don't or do, and especially what they order in on a regular basis. Some nursery managers order in all kind of neat stuff and succulents and etc

You would think Home Depot would be more in tune with each other, and each store would be more alike, but they are not.

There are lots of them around, find one which does what you want. I shop at all 6 of the Home Depots here within 15 miles of where live. one is a few miles closer, and nicer and newer. The one in Modesto is the biggest and carries the greatest selection. But each one sometimes has things the other don't, so i many times pick and choose depending what is on my shopping list. The Lowe's stores are somewhat similar also in this fashion.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on February 12, 2008 at 8:05 pm PST.

I've been to 5 of them

We used to be able to get great LaVerne stock from the Emeryville Home Depot but they are now non-responsive. I have tried Concord, Martinez, another Concord and Alamo to no avail.

The above followup was added by Merbert on February 12, 2008 at 9:19 pm PST.

Emeryville Home Depot

Merbert, when Paul Dill left a voice mail on my phone he basically said he would do an order later for me when they were ordering but it didn't sound like he wanted to order for a couple more months. Since LaVerne's was limiting quantity on the white sapote I wanted, he could meet the minimum with just my special order. Sort of a catch 22. By this time next week I'll be down south and get my plants at another SoCal nursery.

The above followup was added by HarveyC on February 12, 2008 at 10:18 pm PST.

He never responded to my call

Harvey, you had better luck than I but the results were a bit disappointing. Now is when he should start ordering for the Berkeley/Oakland crowd. I was there yesterday helping a friend set up a mini-orchard and it felt like spring. Fruit trees looked at least three weeks ahead of mine. They're ready for planting.

The above followup was added by Merbert on February 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm PST.

I gave up leaving messages

I went there in person after the Walk For Life and left him a note. As I recall, he works from 5am and opens up the store, so that might be the best time to reach him in person and get him on the phone!

The above followup was added by HarveyC on February 12, 2008 at 10:44 pm PST.

WOW THANK YOU!!!

im excited! going to call up this weekend. again thanks so much!!

The above followup was added by loquat lover on February 13, 2008 at 0:01 am PST.

Axel, can yo contact me via email?

I'm interested in doing a trade for scion wood.

The above followup was added by gino45 on February 14, 2008 at 2:25 pm PST.

Gold Nugget at Rolling River Nursery

I just got my Gold Nugget Loquat that I mail ordered from Rolling River Nursery up in northern cal. The tree is extremely healthy and nice sized. I've ordered many figs from them before and have never been disappointed. Shipping within CA is very fast and reasonable.

http://www.rollingrivernursery.com

The above followup was added by Mook on February 15, 2008 at 1:55 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:58 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login