Search the Archives

Mature Avocado tree dropping leaves in the spring?

Mature Avocado tree dropping leaves in the spring?

I just moved into my new house and I have a large 30 year old Avocado tree that just started blooming AND now it's dropping leaves like crazy?

Is this normal? Can a tree this established both bloom and have root rot? If not normal What do I do????

The following thread was started by Eric on March 26, 2008 at 7:57 pm PST

This is VERY normal

The tree is sending all it's energy (carbohydrates) into flowering and drops leaves to compensate for this. Depending on variety and carbohydrate storage from the past year the amount of leaf drop will vary.

This is normal and nothing to worry about unless your tree does have severe root rot. If so, then just hope for the best. After flowering, if new growth appears then the tree will be fine.

The above followup was added by Tom on March 26, 2008 at 8:06 pm PST.

I agree. Tthis is VERY normal

My Fuerte avocado is doing the same thing right now as it does every year at this time. Very normal. Not to worry.

This is the start of leaf fall which will continue through the summer. As Tom said, you will probably see new growth pretty soon -- maybe within two weeks or so.

Incidentally, if you don't already, let those leaves collect under the tree as a mulch. Avocado feeder roots are very shallow and they feed on this mulch. This is essential for fruiting. And let the mulch get "woody" with small branches.

I get around 150 to 200 avocados every year on an eighteen to twenty foot tree canopy. People often ask me how I get so many avocados when they have none on an oitherwise healthy tree. I ask them, "Do you "clean" up the tree's leaves?" Invariably, they answer, "Yes."

Tony (Burbank)

The above followup was added by Tony (Burbank) on March 26, 2008 at 11:41 pm PST.

Normal spring drop

Avocados and most other evergreens store their energy in their leaves, not in their roots like deciduous trees. So when spring comes, they start dropping the old leaves, as new ones are forming.

If you get cold in winter, many times they get damaged some too, and these are dropped also, as the new ones develop.

When my tree was younger, and got damaged more by cold, it dropped more leaves this time of year. Now that it is larger, it drops less when it first warms up, but keeps it spread out more over the growing season.

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on March 27, 2008 at 1:12 am PST.

Cherimoya too...

My cherimoya Loses about 2/3rds of its leaves before sending out new growth... which it is doing right now.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on March 27, 2008 at 1:12 am PST.

Flush of leaves

You should also notice that there are new leaves beginning to expand among the flowers. My avocado has flowers on every branch (though small as it is), and while the old leaves look poor, the new leaves are coming in.

The above followup was added by Barry on March 27, 2008 at 9:06 am PST.

Picture of healthy Avocado in bloom

and with very few leaves. notice the new growth as described by Barry

The above followup was added by George on March 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm PST.

Beautiful tree.

George, that's one lovely 'cado tree. What variety is it and in what zone is it growing?

The above followup was added by Merbert on March 30, 2008 at 7:03 pm PST.

The tree looks weird, I have never seen one with so many blooms, and no leaves before

Every one I have ever seen in Central Valley CA or in pic, has never looked like that. Most have a full load of leaves when they bloom. But then most of what I have and see are Mexican and Mexican Guatemalan crosses.

My question would be too, where do you live and what variety?

David

The above followup was added by DavidLJ48, Waterford CA, zone14 on March 31, 2008 at 0:59 am PST.

Not sure of variety, zone 24

This is the best type of avocado to have. It is the yard next to my ex-wife's house in Encinitas. The branches hang near to the fence and will soon hang over!
I do not know the variety but knowing who planted it I must assume it to be Haas. It is more upright and much more vigorous than the Bacon in my ex's yard.
George

The above followup was added by George on April 01, 2008 at 10:37 pm PST.

Hello All

Hi everyone. My name is Ray, from Utica, NY. I will be visiting Poland soon, and I am hoping to meet my Polish relatives. I also hope some people from here may help me in contacting my relatives before my visit. Thanks and looking forward to meeting some great people on here!

The above followup was added by IDLDLVIDLKLD on June 02, 2008 at 6:09 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login