Search the Archives

Newport beach Coconut photo

Newport beach Coconut photo

Here is a photo of the one and only Newport Beach Coconut. I took the pisc during out visit last weekend.

As you can see, my wife is shivering ( Yes ...I made her pose ) It was only 61f at 3 pm.

My kids thought I was nuts and wouldn't even get out of the van.
I guess this shows what a dedicated wife I have...but then again...don't we all ?

http://www.eframes.com/ef-cgi/t/twood226_hotmail_com/2044cocotina2.jpg

Jeff

The following thread was started by Jeff on April 01, 2002 at 5:58 am PST

Looks pretty sad

It doesn't look great. Not bad for a coconut in California, but I am not sure it's even worth the trouble.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on April 01, 2002 at 4:28 pm PST.

HOW DARE YOU !!!!

NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE!

We've been married for 17 years.....

Yea sure, she's a little ragged. But you would be too... If you were dragged 300 miles, with 2 whinning kids, just to see a stinking coconut palm!
Hell we saw thousands in Hawaii , just last month!

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on April 01, 2002 at 5:11 pm PST.

Oooops !

Axel... I reread your post.

You were talking about the PALM right!
:)

Scratch what I said above.

Anyway.. The PALM is in sad shape.
( But about the same shape as many Coconuts in West Palm beach FL)

The trunk is about 7 ft long, but curves sharply along the ground. Like is has suffered root rot , then recovered several times.
I could find many better ( warmer ) places to grow a coconut in So Cal. This location only got afternoon sun.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on April 01, 2002 at 5:19 pm PST.

Coco Nut

Jeff,

Do you remember what street it's on?

Actually it (the palm) doesn't look to bad for a plant that supposedly doesn't survive below 50F and only gets afternoon sun.

Next time you go, bring a jacket for your wife.

I see you're in the picture too (shadow on the wall).

The above followup was added by Tom on April 01, 2002 at 6:32 pm PST.

Coconut ok.

Jeff,

The Coco palm was not bad, but what I am impressed with is how good- natured and tolerant your wife is -ha! ha!

The above followup was added by William S., Delhi on April 01, 2002 at 6:42 pm PST.

But she looks sad too

Now that you mention it, bad looking coconut, but good looking wife, but she has that typical sad look of

"Oh jees, when is he ever going to quit this plant craze? It's just a coconut, who cares, and besides, it's freezing here!!! One of these days, he'll probably trade me in for one of these darned coconuts".

:)

But yeah, I was talking about the coconut. It will probably perk up this Summer. But Jeff, stick with your wife. she's hardier than the coconut, and will probably look better after a long Modesto Winter.

Sorry Jeff, I just had to. You asked for it. :)

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on April 01, 2002 at 7:37 pm PST.

More coconut stuff

The coconut is located on the Coast Highway near the corner of Harbor ave ( hiway 55?) Right across the street from
" Joes Crab Shack " restaurant in Newport beach.

Yea... If I HAD to choose... the wife or.... the plants.... It would be the Wife .... of course. :(

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on April 01, 2002 at 8:17 pm PST.

another photo

The trunk

The above followup was added by Jeff on April 01, 2002 at 8:32 pm PST.

Dork

My wife said that I have to post one of me...since I put her up the board.

The above followup was added by Jeff on April 01, 2002 at 8:41 pm PST.

palm sacrilege

Jeff,

To be honest, I think the Queen in the background looks far nicer than that cocos! I remmeber driving through Ballina (NSW Australia), looking at the thousands of Queens in the main street, and comparing them to the coconuts there. Cocos usually looked considerably worse, leaves are more graceful, but the crown shape and trunk is not very nice outside a true tropical climate, to my way of thinking.

See any Jubaeopsis caffra or Syagrus botryophora down there? S. b. should look pretty much like a coconut, I suspect. Jubaeopsis looks very much like a coconut, IF a healthy specimen and kept to a solitary trunk. Most of the pictures I've seen of them are horrible. My one and only specimen is intensly unhappy:-(

The above followup was added by Ben on April 02, 2002 at 3:21 am PST.

I wonder

I wonder what it would look like if it were in a sunnier spot, and away from a walkway, so the owners didnt have to cut fronds off to keep them from whacking people as they walk by?

At least the fronds arent yellowed, and burnt looking. Speaking of bad looking coconuts, i was watching MTV's spring break shows, one called "The Morning After", and they do sweeping shots of the set. The set has a bunch of coconut palms that all have yellow fronds with brown, dead tips. I dont know if these were dug up and planted there for the show, or if they're just a part of the landscape (this is in Cancun, Mexico). They all looked pretty bad.

See how much of a palm freak I am? I get all excited over bad looking coconut palms on MTV :).

The above followup was added by Barry on April 02, 2002 at 9:52 pm PST.

coconut pruning

Barry,
I agree. I think this palm in this location is very slow growing.
Ad to fact that the fronds are pruned heavily and then slow to regrow back...makes for a less than perfect speciman.

As I mentioned on the palm board, The Ideal location to palm a coconut palm in So Cal, would be .... about a block away from the beach, on a south facing slope, close to building to get reflective heat.

Plant a large ( at least 15 gal, 24" box is best ) speciman, so as to have deep roots...deep enough to be in the constant ...60f + degree soil. Poor draining soil with soil temps below 60f will cause major root rot and the decline or death of a coconut.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on April 03, 2002 at 0:56 am PST.

Not worth it

About how deep does one have to plant to get to the warm, deep soil?

By the way, Orchard Supply Hardware here has recently been selling coconuts. No, i'm not going to buy one in hopes of growing one here (even i'm not THAT optimistic about how warm it might get). Novelty item for sure, but not very practical inside once it gets bigger. I suppose if you were in Carmel (read: rich) with a two story glass conservatory you could buy and grow one ;).

The above followup was added by Doobieous on April 03, 2002 at 10:56 pm PST.

Deep soil - coconuts

Doobie...

If someone was to scratch the soil surface, then put down a coconut...... the roots the first year or two, might stay near the soil surface....perhaps even within the top 6 -8 inches of soil.
This layer of soil would be subject to temp swings during cold or cool periods....and thus rotting the root tips, killing the palm. (Coconut roots don't like soil below 60f or they rot )

Dig deeper....say 18 inches to 2 ft and the soil is less likey to vary from the area's annual average air temp of about 63f. Chilly by tropical standards, but warm enough to support growth....though slowly. The coast of So. Cal near the ocean is zone10 to 11. So freezes wouldn't be a problem.

Sorry...Carmel's climate is just a lttle cool . I think a heated greenhouse would be the only way to grow a coconut north of LA ...as the soil is way too cool.

Of course none of the above has been proven...its just my theory.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on April 03, 2002 at 11:32 pm PST.

My coconut already has 6 feet of trunk

Yeah, the in-vitro gene splicing we did a while back with Jubea chilensis and coconut tissue has lead to these real cold growing coconut. Mine just started flowering, and I hope to have ripe coconuts by late fall.

But one of the unfortunate byproduct of the new genetically enginered specie is that it doesn't tolerate any temperatures above 80F. So alas, it won't grow in Modesto.

The City of Santa Cruz already put in an order with us to replant the entire Beach boardwalk. Can you believe, they actually want to replace every last Washingtonia with one of our new coconuts? Orders are starting to pile in from all coastal cities as far down as Newport Beach. . I am not sure how we will keep up with the demand.We got a call from Modesto too, but we had to dissapoint them

On the downside, the militant arm of the native plant society has been sending us threatening letters. They have threatened to destroy every last coconut on public land in Santa Cruz county. They say we should only plant maple trees. Rumors have they are funded by the Miami and Honolulu chamber of commerce, who want coconuts to remain a treasure only to be seen in the true tropics.

One interesting fact to note is that the newly developed palm bears coconuts with pink flesh with a flavor much like a cross in between an apple and a walnut with a hint of peanut butter and marshmellows. So it doesn't quite taste much like coconut. But who cares, as long as the plant looks like the real coconut.

NOT!!!

Standard disclaimer: this posting is a joke not meant to offend anyone, and it does not imply any zone denial and microclimate snobbery on the part of any of the participants.

Axel

The above followup was added by Axel on April 04, 2002 at 10:23 pm PST.

Doobie is me :)

Jeff: that was me there, i'm so used to using my nickname i sometimes type it in without thinking about it :).

Anyway, what i meant by Carmel is, it would only be worth the *price* of buying a coconut if you had a two story glass house, which only someone with the money of a Carmelite could afford, not that carmel is a suitable spot for growing coconuts (which it is not).

Some tropicals are just not worth the time and frustration it takes. I asked about soil temps because i was curious about how far down one has to go to get relatively constant temperatures in soil.

The above followup was added by Barry on April 04, 2002 at 10:56 pm PST.

Glass house / coconuts

Barry,
If I had a big glasss house, I would probably grow a dwarf coconut , just for the unigue- ness.

2 years ago, I bought one of those " Orchard supply" coconuts to grow as a house plant.
( They are sadly rootbound ).
It did pretty good indoors during the first winter, then OK... outdoors during the summer. I left it on my back porch the following winter and it was dead by spring.

I may try again, using soil warming cables in a 15 gal pot....just cuz i'm curious to see if it will survive with warm soil, but cool air temps.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on April 05, 2002 at 1:39 am PST.

Speaking of orchard...

...and palms, it seems the ones here get their palms from a grower called "Barcelo Palms". Which as far as I can find are situated out in nearby Salinas. They seem to sell Queens and Kings to the OSH's here.

The above followup was added by Barry on April 05, 2002 at 6:36 am PST.

oh yes

If I'm not mistaken, barcelo supplies kings, queens, fans, canaries, meds and sagos to all home depots and lowes...although at times, those two chains accept shipments from others.
I don;t know if barcelo is greenhouse grown or outdoors---but someone told me, greenhouse..so, acclimatizing palms is important if you buy from them..

The above followup was added by ronzone9b on April 05, 2002 at 9:02 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:24 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login