Search the Archives

Mango plant dying

Mango plant dying

My two year old mango plant was doing exceptionally well, growing up to 4 feet in two years, and the last few months has four to five new shoots. For some unknown reason, the leaves are drooping, dying. I thought there was not enough water, but there is enough water. So I am really puzzled, don't know what happened to it. Sad to see it is dying without knowing what caused it and what to do to reverse the course:(

Twan

The following thread was started by Twan on August 11, 2008 at 8:44 pm PST

So erratic.

Tuan, I'm so sorry to hear about your mango. I had two seedlings growing side-by-side. One has grown to nearly 4 1/2 feet tall. The other, when it was about 3' in height, dropped its leaves, dried up and died for no apparent reason. Don't give up; perhaps it's just acting stressed and will make a full recovery.

The above followup was added by Merbert on August 11, 2008 at 11:53 pm PST.

I find when plants wilt

I find that when plants wilt in summer, either not enough water or too much. Too much can mean root rot or something similar. Which might be affecting the roots ability to pic up water.

You did not mention, are they in the ground or in a pot? If in a pot, as the plant grows, it will need more water at peak demand and it may not have the root system developed enough in the potting soil, to take care of the top.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on August 12, 2008 at 0:35 am PST.

Gophers..

Twan my largest Mango has behaved exactly as yours. I see Gopher diggings nearby. Nothing close to it has shown any problems,Figs,Roses,GBOP,Iochroma,etc.
Just like yours it wasa fast grower,adding 2' last year-fast for the bay area. If its root rot i would be surprised-not ruling it out though-,since it is in a raised bed.But of course it must have grown into the clay below it.
David,has been right on before.
I can tell you it has responded to manure compost(EB Stone) by the greeniing of lower leaves..top leaves while large,dont look happy.
The World Famous Hayward Mango,recovering from the 07 freeze that killed it to BELOW ground level has grown almost 2' this year and looks just like the ones posted from tropical climes.Full sized,perky,glossy leaves that were very shiny burgundy when first out.More so than they ever were in a pot. Now in ground.

The above followup was added by stan on August 12, 2008 at 10:45 am PST.

mango

The plant is on the ground. I am afraid that it probably too much water, David, but the ground is very sandy, and when I dug a little deeper, put my finger into it, it's not that wet, just damp, and again, there is no standing or even wet soil. I don't think we have gopher problem in our back yard, as I see no evidence of it. O well, you all are so kind and helpful. It's so sad to watch it die slowly with the leaves drooping and then dropping. I fertilized it with chicken manure and compost, and the soil is just beautifully black, if we all can say that the soil is beautiful :)

Thanks again for all of your input, and your understanding.
What a group we are, aren't we! :)

The above followup was added by Twan on August 12, 2008 at 11:14 am PST.

mango problems?

hello Toan,
I am sorry to here about your mango tree. When you water it do you turn the water on high and flood the soil or do opt for a slow and low approach? If you are quickly flooding, it might not be getting enough water. If you turn your hose on very low for a long period of time, you will saturate your soil. Then wait about a week and do it again.

One issue I've had is anthracnose, a disease that causes the leaves and branches to die. I tried using an organic spray but had little success. I now give a light misting of KOPR when new leaves emerge, the trees are growing nicely (grafted and seedlings).

here are some pictures of various diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VH048

If your mango has disease, with clean shears, cut back your tree to healthy branches. Throw in the trash the diseased branches and leaves (not compost). Mix your KOPR to bottle recommendation and spray any parts of your tree that are green. I mix small batches and use a handheld spray bottle because my trees are small. Dont give up on it, they are pretty tough trees.

PLEASE be very careful with the KOPR, read the precautions, dont breath the mist, wash up when done. Also, spray in the morning or evening, not during the heat of the day (full sun).

good luck,
-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield CA 9/9 on August 12, 2008 at 12:17 am PST.

mango disease/rusty Asian pear leaves

Hi Ethan,

I water the plant low and slow. I may have it too long and too often as the weather kind of hot these days. It doesn't have any disease as I looked at the link you sent. However, I'll keep that in mind. My Asian pear trees have some rusty leaves, though. I sprayed both of them during dormant season, but now they come back, not a lot but on the new leaves. I cut them off and threw them away. Some of the fruit even have worm inside the core Yuk!
Well, it's good to hear from you. Miss you little daughter. Bet, she is growing fast and talking a lot too, right? Give her a big hug for me.

The above followup was added by Twan on August 12, 2008 at 2:51 pm PST.

Normal

I hate to say it, but it sounds pretty normal for mangos. I have had several that were in full growth flush one week, and dead, dry, brown to the ground 10 days later. Every one says its anthracnose, but haven't really heard how to prevent/deal with it.

The above followup was added by pitangadiego on August 12, 2008 at 8:03 pm PST.

Jon - anthracnose

I don't know what retail products might be useful for defending against anthracnose, but I've used Bravo fungicide which I bought specifically for that purpose. The disease is brought on by high humidity which you can't do much about. It was a terrible problem on my huge sycamore tree which I finally cut down when we added a garage to our house. That got rid of my anthracnose problems at the same time!

The above followup was added by HarveyC on August 13, 2008 at 7:26 am PST.

I had same problem

Twan: My mango tree was about 3 ft tall but suddenly got the same thing as yours - what I'm sure was antracnose (root rot). I stopped watering the tree close to its trunk but rather watered 1 to 1 1/2 feet from the trunk. I let the soil around the trunk stay very dry. Within a couple of weeks, the tree started new growth and now looks fairly healthy except for lower leaves damaged by the root rot.

The above followup was added by don on August 13, 2008 at 6:41 pm PST.

The tree will come back?

Don, wow, I hope by stopping water the tree, it might revive? It's really dying now, and I am so sad to watch it. I haven't done any watering for almost a week. If it comes back, that would be wonderful. But if not, well, maybe I'll plant another one.
Thanks for sharing your story.

The above followup was added by Twan on August 13, 2008 at 9:56 pm PST.

Interesting,Don.

I could try that for a while.It grew so fast last year.Even with minimal growth after a quick flush early in spring it's a good sized Mango-by our standards.

The above followup was added by stan on August 14, 2008 at 9:10 am PST.

Now, I kick myself...

I removed the mulch i had put under that Mango in spring..it was moist where it was thickest. No mulch in winter I knew,but i thought in summer a light leaf mulch would help.
And ya know since i eased off the water..its got a little better color Subtle,but i see it.

The above followup was added by stan on August 15, 2008 at 11:14 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:52 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login