Search the Archives

Angry squirrel.

Angry squirrel.

One of the nice benefits with a oasis yard is how they draw wildlife the neighbors don't get a chance to see.
This squirrel is the loudest,most agressive and cantankerous sob. It doesnt grunt-it barks.Sounds likea small dog as he eats the Podocarpus tree fruits(feel free) that litter the yard.
Look close at him...malo. lol.
btw, Saw my first fence lizard in years in my tropical orchard. A couple of very young garter snakes too. Some bird that looks like a starling only with a white chest.
Golden spiders are showing up now. Big webs.

The following thread was started by stan on September 08, 2008 at 11:15 am PST

!!##** Squirrels

At first they were cute, then one became two, two had a family then they started to eat my macadamia nuts (last year before my 2 weeks trip I had a tree full of em) I came back and none were left.... the little buggers are at it again.... now its war... I've used traps - ineffective, petroleum jelly on the top of the fence seems to have done the trick (for now)

The above followup was added by JeffEastBay on September 08, 2008 at 2:54 pm PST.

Shotgun

Maybe a 410...unless neighbors are too close. Read other posts where a big trash can or barrel was fill halfway with water, pour sunflower seeds that will float and cover the water. They're lured by the seeds and will drown. All's fair in war.

The above followup was added by Jay on September 08, 2008 at 5:35 pm PST.

Plumed rats

Actually they're far worse than rats - they can leap. We have them everywhere, running up and down the redwoods, destroying fruits and vegetables seemingly for sport, and causing general mayhem.

I like the idea of the garbage can and water idea but fear drowning small birds that may alight to pick up the seeds.

The above followup was added by Merbert on September 08, 2008 at 5:51 pm PST.

We had trouble with them earlier this year

Earlier this year squirrels were all over our place chewing on everything. And now they are mysteriously nowhere to be seen..

Of course that may have something to do with the snakes. I didn't even know we had rattlesnakes -- this close to the coast -- until I got bitten this spring...

I even know where the snakes are living. But I suppose as a testimony to my love of squirrels, and gophers, I've made no attempt to get the rattlesnakes -- even though I got to spend a couple of delightful days in the hospital. I'm just much more aware and careful now.

The above followup was added by Richard Primbs on September 08, 2008 at 8:23 pm PST.

Here's how

we provide the &%#$ with their last dinner - So Cal style. It's dried organic avocado al Tony topped with organic peanut butter pate.

Peanut butter is the key. And as a bonus I add avocado because that's their favorite in my yard.

Trapping is very effective for me.

One does not mess with Tony's avocados.

The above followup was added by Tony in Burbank on September 08, 2008 at 8:44 pm PST.

Ooops. Take 2 on the image

Ooops. Take 2 on the image.

The above followup was added by Tony in Burbank on September 08, 2008 at 8:48 pm PST.

I hear you on squirrel pecularity..

Last year a different one would tear off large sized pieces of Staghorn fronds for no good reason i could see.
That stopped, so i guess this noisy guy is a different animal.

The above followup was added by Stan on September 09, 2008 at 1:24 pm PST.

I hope you dont' kill them

I hope you are trapping and releasing. Even though they are a pest, they are cute.

I have a major raccoon problem. However, our dog, a German Sheppard loves to hunt them, so when they show up to eat the grapes, I let our dog run out there, and she chases them off. The bad memory of a growling biting dog doesn't encourage them to come back.

I have so many pests going after my fruit that I've resorted to netting, and this has been quite successful. For the raccoons, I have to add the scarecrow, the water motion detector will give them a good dousing.

I've never had birds go after my apples, this year, they're all over my apples. It's a real bummer.

There are enough predators to make the squirrels a non-issue here. My mac has never fruited, so it's not a problem here.

The above followup was added by Axel on September 09, 2008 at 2:21 pm PST.

Axel, protect your dog

Even a German Shepherd, when attacked by a large and aggressive male raccoon, can cause serious injury. My late dog required a lot of facial stitches and a course of powerful antibiotics after such an attack.

The above followup was added by Merbert on September 10, 2008 at 0:03 am PST.

I'd kill em

When I was younger, I used to hunt for sport
( not much anymore, now I fish )
Anyway... I would say I have killed at least 1000 ground squirrels in my life. They are pests worse than rats.
The holes they make cause millions of dollars in levee damage in the delta. Crop damage everywhere and dig holes where cattle roam, causing many animals to get caught or broken legs etc...

They are not pretty at all, they are flea and diseases ridden.

Best to just put the whole cage in a box, then cut a small whole in the box, hook the box up to the tail pipe of your car, turn on your engine.
It will go to sleep.

Or any good pellet gun... a pellet between the eyes or behind the ear is a killer .

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on September 10, 2008 at 8:46 am PST.

Killed a million ants...

After that, i lose interest in killing higher life forms...

The above followup was added by stan on September 10, 2008 at 10:24 am PST.

Hrm

I currently have almost lost almost every single flower on my 7 large Apricot trees thanks to Rosella parots. That's like.... Over a thousand Apricots gone... But I'm not going to kill anything. I'll just plant more things that they can't get nectar from. Tollerance toward your fellow animals is allways a good thing :)

The above followup was added by Jason on September 10, 2008 at 12:23 am PST.

P.S

Jeff, I'm sure the Fish think you are a bigger pest than a Rat. ;)

The above followup was added by Jason on September 10, 2008 at 12:25 am PST.

Choice

To kill or not to kill... that is question.
I only kill things I eat.... but would kill vermin if I needed to protect myself, my family or my food

:P.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on September 10, 2008 at 6:25 pm PST.

Squirrel

I catch and release but that's actually against the law down here in LA county because it's considered giving someone else the problem, so I'm actual a criminal by doing this. If I killed them then I would be a law abiding citizen. Go figure.

I've thought about connecting the hot lead of an electrical wire to the cage and then plugging it in to a wall socket. Think that would work? They do sell rat zappers so that' s where i got the idea.

The above followup was added by Tom on September 10, 2008 at 8:22 pm PST.

Tom

I once got told a story by my electrical teacher at school about a guy that hooked up the 240v house supply to a grid of mesh to ward off some guy he didn't want at his house. He ended up killing his daughter so probably not a good idea play with that much power where people can grab it

The above followup was added by Jason on September 10, 2008 at 10:07 pm PST.

I electrocute squirrels.

I would never hook the "electric fencing" up to household current. That's a good way to kill yourself . It takes less electricity to kill a person than light a lightbulb (I used to work as an electrician).

But what I did around my vegetable garden was to run wire mesh three feet down (A LOT of digging), and attach it to railroad ties. Then I covered the railroad ties with wire mesh so that the little monsters would be good and "grounded" on the railroad tie. I mounted insulators on the railroad ties and ran the wire just inches ( 5 to 10 cms) above the railroad ties. And I used an electric fence transformer (For large horses) to make the wire deadly to the squirrels, rats, and gophers but safe for me.

It doesn't take much to electrocute a squirrel. And it strangely doesn't bother me like catching and drowning them did.

The above followup was added by Richard Primbs on September 11, 2008 at 6:03 pm PST.

your growing pineapples?

Darn. Wish i had the room for many. My pineapple that fruited in 06...has this summer sent up a nice strong shoot. And it was out all winter -open to the rain and cold.
Those raised planters can work magic in California...really compensate for having winter rain only.

The above followup was added by stan on September 12, 2008 at 9:54 am PST.

Jason

We only have 120V up here. I would catch in a trap first and then 'pull the switch' so I could control who was around.

I'm going to take Richard's advise though as it is far more safe.

The above followup was added by Tom on September 12, 2008 at 4:44 pm PST.

squirrel melts anyone??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlK0Xd4c2c

:P

The above followup was added by loquat_lover on September 21, 2008 at 4:54 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:51 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login