Search the Archives

A picture of my little durian tree

A picture of my little durian tree

Here's a little picture of my durian tree planted in the ground. It's a funny angle because I stood above the tree on the hillside and took it looking down so that it would show up better against the landscape fabric.

I like the landscape fabric because it eliminates weeding and it really reduces evaporation -- when you water under it with drip. And it's better than having high grass that snakes can hide in.

The durian is not doing bad. Now if I can get it through the winter. Maybe next I'll take on a coconut tree like Paul Fisher over in El Cajon. I wonder how his coconut tree is doing.

The following thread was started by Richard Primbs on September 28, 2008 at 1:54 pm PST

nice!

wow that tree is pretty good size. just out of curiousity, how old is it and where are you located?

The above followup was added by mo on September 28, 2008 at 3:17 pm PST.

Off to a good start..

There is so little on the net about growing those trees. That might be biggest tree east of Key West,north of Mazatlan.

The above followup was added by stan on September 28, 2008 at 5:45 pm PST.

I don't know how old it is. I just planted it.

Mo,

I'm in Encinitas California. Or more accurately the Leucadia part of Encinitas. I'm not far from the ocean. I'm very near the Andersons La Costa nursery.

I bought the tree from Pacific Tropicals in Hawaii and had it shipped this spring. It was in a five gallon pot. I transplanted it into a fifteen gallon pot and it grew another foot. It's a little over five feet tall.

I was amazed by the roots when I planted it. They were looping around the outside of the pot. It seems to have a super vigorous root system and it doesn't seem to really mind our lack of humidity.

I am using a reverse osmosis watering system to water it. I think that makes a big difference. However it's been watered with regular water many times by mistake and it doesn't seem that salt sensitive.

The above followup was added by Richard Primbs on September 28, 2008 at 6:39 pm PST.

Wondering..

I know you dont want to hear this now that its in ground..but Richard,wouldnt planting it up against a wall have been warmer?..blocking the winters cold wind. You dont get many of those,but it can happen in winter. Even if you do cover it,the wall would have slowed heat loss.Cheaper heating bill.With that plant some colder climate techniques might come in handy.

The above followup was added by s on September 29, 2008 at 7:55 am PST.

I would but I've already got mangos against the wall

Yes, planting it against a wall would have been better. But on the south side of the house I've already got mangoes growing against the wall..

The winters can be really mild here. I'm just going to put a simple temporary "greenhouse" over it (PVC and plastic) and heat it with a little space heater (I used to be an electrician, and I'm going to put an electrical outlet near it.).

The above followup was added by Richard Primbs on September 29, 2008 at 6:55 pm PST.

good luck with the durian

that is a healthy looking tree Richard. How is your humidity there? Do you have a mangosteen in the ground also?

good luck,
-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield CA 9/9 on September 30, 2008 at 1:38 pm PST.

Am surprised Axel hasnt admonished you Richard

For even thinking it can be done. Not a "the Durians are better in".."farther south"...

The above followup was added by stan on October 01, 2008 at 7:48 am PST.

San Diego la lal..

How could I forget that?
You know the worlds gone crazy when somebody starts a subtropical growing board,then years later repents and denounces the growing of them and embraces -Apples.
If that isnt something from a tragi comedy then I dont know what is...
Worse,he then belittles others who have done well. Then says he has "the perfect apple climate". And he's serious. None of this god's country tongue in cheek stuff.

The above followup was added by s on October 01, 2008 at 8:17 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:39 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login