Search the Archives

tiny persimmons??

tiny persimmons??

My friend has a large bush (approx. 8ft) that has tons of small persimmons on it. At first we weren't sure that it was persimmon because the fruits are the size of grapes. They were round, not pointy at the bottom. I was fairly sure it was persimmon so I ate one. It tasted like a persimmon. The mushy ones were sweet and tasty and the firmer ones were astringent. Any idea what variety this is?

The following thread was started by Lena Shiroma on October 05, 2008 at 0:11 am PST

early golden American persimmon

American persimmons has varieties that are small. Raintree sells a variety called early golden that makes 1-1/2" fruit. That maybe what your friend has.

The above followup was added by axel on October 05, 2008 at 7:49 am PST.

pics of tiny persimmon

These persimmons are only half inch and are extremely abundant on the bush.

The above followup was added by Lena on October 05, 2008 at 10:39 am PST.

oops, here are the pics

aren't they cute?

The above followup was added by Lena on October 05, 2008 at 10:49 am PST.

another pic

I think the American persimmon is bigger. Could this be the bonsai kind?

The above followup was added by Lena on October 05, 2008 at 10:52 am PST.

larger branch

The whole 8ft tree was covered like this.

The above followup was added by Lena on October 05, 2008 at 11:01 am PST.

princess persimmon?

I looked at more pictures on the net and could this be a princess persimmon that is used in bonsai? The shape of the persimmon isn't quite right but the size of the fruit seems similar.

The above followup was added by Lena on October 05, 2008 at 11:59 am PST.

Probably

Must be the bonsai type.

I've never seem that small of persimmons. Are they good?

The above followup was added by Axel on October 05, 2008 at 6:40 pm PST.

Diospyros lotus

rootstock for D.kaki. In response to your question, Axel--- not very. They are sweet when mushy/ripe. quite astringent if eaten too early. more reminiscent of American persimmon than kaki. I've got a big D.lotus tree next door, and I nibble some fruit maybe a few times a year.

Axel-- driving your way later this week. I'll drop off lucuma. I'll call. Cheers

The above followup was added by Tom A. on October 05, 2008 at 9:24 pm PST.

Thanks!

Yes, the googled images of d. lotus look just like my friend's tree. The fruit are sweet when totally soft but a lot of work because they are so small. The skin's are still astringent even if the inside is ripe so you have to squeeze out the pulp.

The above followup was added by Lena on October 05, 2008 at 9:50 pm PST.

nice persimmon's

Wow!!! Lena you got some nice small persimmon's,hope they taste like golden nectar!!

The above followup was added by Scotty in Arroyo Grande on October 06, 2008 at 1:41 pm PST.

Princess persimmon

My brother bought the land that the nursery was on that was one of first or the first to import the Princess Persimmon. We have tons of those trees/bushes around. Lots of variety in the persimmons from tree to to tree. The branches make great arrangements when the leaves fall off.

The above followup was added by Jeff on October 14, 2008 at 2:56 pm PST.

Small persimmons

A couple of years before I moved where I am now I ordered a large Japanese persimmon from TyTy Nursery. I don't remember which one. I moved in 1992.
I waited several years for the rooted cutting to grow large enough to fruit. When I did it had small persimmons like the ones posted here.
I often wondered what I received since I didn't know such a small persimmon fruit existed.
Some rumors are true.
Terry

The above followup was added by Terry on October 20, 2008 at 8:56 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:50 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login