Search the Archives

Confused! Which Passionfruit is the right one???

Confused! Which Passionfruit is the right one???

Hey Everyone~
I'm having a bit of trouble with the passionflower fruits. I purchased a few over seas (I now reside in VA) and have searched for, literally, years to find them again. I have finally come across what appears to be them and after scouring through the many types of Passifloras I have come across, I seem to have hit a wall. Both the Passiflora Alata and Passiflora Ligularis seem to be the exact same plant. Can anyone PLEASE tell me the difference? I want to purchase the seeds (since no one seems to have the fruits themselves for sale) but do NOT want to buy the wrong ones. Thank you!

The following thread was started by Cari on December 23, 2008 at 8:40 pm PST

you want ligularis

you most likely bought ligilaris fruits overseas. These are the fruit the most popular after edulis and they are commonly available all over the world and even Europe, but not in the US thanks to our over-paranoid USDA.

Lighlaris is known as granadilla has a very thin, inedible bright orange rind that encloses a greyish delicious mildly flavored pulp. It is a mid elevation vine that requires a narrow temp range to succeed.

Alata has a very thick edible rind with some pulp in the interior, and requires more tropical growing conditions. It's a better bet in Virginia as long as you keep it in a heated greenhouse in the winter.

The above followup was added by axel on December 23, 2008 at 10:49 pm PST.

Thank You SO Much!

That's exactly what I had! Thank you so much, Axel! I'm not sure why the US won't sell these particular passion fruit, but seem to sell so many other species. Thanks again!!!

The above followup was added by Cari on December 24, 2008 at 5:31 am PST.

leaf shape

Axel, can you tell me the variety of purple.orange passion fruit has a heart shaped leaf?

The above followup was added by gino45 on December 24, 2008 at 9:26 am PST.

Are you talking about passiflora edulis?

You must be talking about edulis, right? Post a picture, and I might be able to tell.

The above followup was added by Axel on December 24, 2008 at 9:58 am PST.

confusion

Well, after looking up the different terms, I decided that the bright yellow lilikoi of Hawaii must be the yellow form of edulis. I have seen a purple form with leaves similar if not identical to the lilikoi, which I assume to be edulis also; however, I have also seen another purple one with a heart (or anthurium) shaped leaf.
Over here, the terms lilikoi and passion fruit are both used. One might say when asked, "lilikoi" and when the questioner says "what?", the next reply is passion fruit. : )
Merry Christmas!

The above followup was added by gino45 on December 24, 2008 at 2:18 pm PST.

More on Edulis

Edulis comes in two forms and there are many hybrids between the two forms:

passiflora edulis, var. edulis is the small purple passion fruit that grows all over the milder Mediterranean and subtropical climates. It comes from mid to higher elevations and seems to be quite frost hardy. The fruit has a purple rind with sweet and highly flavored yellow pulp. It's main downside is its small size.

passiflora edulis var. flavicarpa is the famous Hawaiian lilikoi. It has a green-yellow rind with yellow-orange pulp that is generally sour but highly flavored. The fruit is quite a bit larger than it's small purple cousin, but it also requires a more tropical climate to flourish.

A number of crosses exist between the two varieties above, with Red Rover and Frederick being the two main crosses available in California. These fruits usually have red rind, are about as large as the flavicarpa varieties, and tend to be sour like flavicarpa, but generally they are quite tolerant of cooler temperatures and seem to do well where edulis var. edulis grows.

I don't know what the heart shaped leaf variety would be, I'd have to see pictures of the fruit and the leaf.

The above followup was added by Axel on December 24, 2008 at 9:25 pm PST.

Passionflower edulis, small purple fruits

Passionflower edulis, small purple fruits. I have seedlings which took open sky next to my house, but not under cover in January 2006 arctic freeze, No damage, except maybe growth tips, the plants where only a couple feet tall in 1 gallon pots.

I acquired a few Red Rovers last year, and it grew well, but already the vines exposed to the open sky are burned and dieing slowly; those under cover of a roof are ok. They seem a lot more cold sensitive then just the regular old P. edulis, at the least the strain I have.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on December 24, 2008 at 10:23 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:24 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login