Search the Archives

Where to find Jaboticaba seedlings or trees

Where to find Jaboticaba seedlings or trees

I've been fascinated by the Jaboticaba since I've seen pictures of them fruiting but the 8+ years it will take them to fruit is daunting. Which is why I need to plant one now, preferably as large a tree as possible to speed the process.
The only source I've found not selling seeds or bonsais is TopTropicals. However, they are a bit pricey to get to California.
Any suggestions on where I can get the biggest Jaboticaba for the lowest price here in the bay area?

The following thread was started by Jason (z17, Palo Alto) on March 10, 2009 at 12:11 am PST

Montoso Gardens has them right now

I have gotten plants from Montoso Gardens before and they are alway nice place and they come in great shape, with their great packing design.

8 to 12 inches tall in 1 litter grow bags, $15.99

http://www.montosogardens.com/online_store.htm

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on March 10, 2009 at 1:39 pm PST.

if you are up for a road trip

I know Exotica down in SD has trees that are in the big wooden boxes instead of pots. Most of them are fruiting size.......whether he has a jaboticaba like this is another story. If you have the $ you might call him, I think he might even make a yearly delivery up to the bay? At Exotica they have a big fruiting jaboticaba, I always go at the wrong time to see it in action though.

If you want to speed up the process a little, look at the cabeluda (yellow jabo) much faster grower. I think Montoso has them also. I second David's remarks about Montoso's packaging, still the best I have seen.

-Ethan

The above followup was added by Ethan-Bakersfield CA9/9 on March 10, 2009 at 5:15 pm PST.

Yes, bigger the better

As slow as they seem to grow and I know that many including Jeff in Modesto has been waiting for quite some time for theirs to fruit.

As slow as they grow, don't even want to imagine the price for a large boxed specimen. But I guess if you have the money, why not.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on March 11, 2009 at 10:52 am PST.

Thanks for the info

Thank you for the info. I definitely don't think I could convince my wife to spend the ungodly amount it would cost to get a boxed specimen somehow installed.
It looks like Montoso is the best shipped solution though it ends up being $45 for a <1' tree. Does their selection change throughout the year? I may hold off and make a larger purchase with them.

The yellow jaboticaba (cabelluda) is nice but doesn't have the attractive (eventual) cauliflory, definitely my second choice. I've seen mixed reviews of the fruit online, but it does fruit in far less time.

I guess I'll hold out for a month or two to see if any other options appear. Anyone in Northern California with a 2+' Jaboticaba seedling they would like to sell me?

The above followup was added by Jason (z17, Palo Alto) on March 11, 2009 at 11:19 am PST.

Jason/ Palo Alto

Cost $45 for one tree, oh that is right, he had to start charging for his phyto cert. now, the government used to never charge him. I have not order since the change.

The selection does change some, but will the jaboticabas be there, you might email them and ask.

I usually order like 4 plants a time, he has nice box for that number of plants.

When I order, I order thing I want, which I think might survive here in winter, and if they don't, I know something new. But I don't buy them with the prospect of them dieing , but it is a fact of life.

And some times you just don't now until you try. Though sometimes I forget to bring them in when it gets much colder and I loose them. When they might of survived just fine when larger.

I find that if a small plant can take being out in the winter cold, under a open air roof, it should survive like that or out in the open with no problem when more mature.

David

The above followup was added by David Johnson, Waterford CA, zone 14 on March 11, 2009 at 11:59 am PST.

I wish my yard was bigger

I wish my yard was a lot bigger so I could make more big orders. I planted a lot this year but now I have space for only about 5 more small/medium trees in the ground. Luckily there is plenty of space for potted plants and maybe a few more trees if I squeeze them against the fences.
Right now I can only dream of having an acre of land, its the cost of living in the city.

The above followup was added by Jason (z17, Palo Alto) on March 11, 2009 at 2:09 pm PST.

1/2 acre is enough

I have 1/2 acre, and it's more than I can handle.

Already. I have around 200 fruit trees and somewhere around 50 palms. I wonder what the place will look like when all of these plants mature. It will be a total jungle, and there will be so much fruit that I won't know what to do with it.

I am just about to the point where I will have to pull something out if I want to add anymore plants.

The above followup was added by Axel on March 11, 2009 at 5:04 pm PST.

8 ft tall jaboticaba...For Sale you dig in Modesto

12 years old in ground Jaboticaba... I have 2... but only only need one....
One this large would be pricey though.

I plan on buying a condo in Hawaii soon... Will be living here in Modesto only 1/2 the year.
Need to tone down the jungle a bit.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on March 12, 2009 at 0:36 am PST.

Would love to take it

Jeff, if it's still available I'd love to take it.

The above followup was added by Axel on March 12, 2009 at 9:04 am PST.

Its not a freebie though

Axel,
This isn't a tree I need to remove, just one that I would sell to someone who doesn't want to wait a decade or more for fruit.

And since this is a landscape size tree....larger than a person could buy at a nursery , I would think it would sell for a pretty penny....
So I was thinking about selling on Ebay, but if I got a good price off Ebay.....Well you get my drift.

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on March 12, 2009 at 11:33 am PST.

Pretty Penny

My son found a 1957 penny yesterday and it is pretty.

Anything else you have in mind? Please e-mail me, Jeff.

The above followup was added by Harveyc on March 13, 2009 at 5:36 pm PST.

Was it shiney too?

Just a Penny isn't pretty ...unless its shiney!

:)

Jeff

The above followup was added by Jeff on March 14, 2009 at 7:31 am PST.

No, really, go ahead and put a starting price.

Let,s see, $500?, Not for me but, there is interest and I bet you might get a buyer / caregiver for your plant.

The above followup was added by Gregory in Palo Alto on March 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm PST.

look at this jaboticaba and longan pics

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg021753192474.html?25

The above followup was added by tammysf, san rafael, CA z9b/10a-sz15/17 on March 14, 2009 at 6:24 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login