Search the Archives

Avocado varieties

Avocado varieties

does anybody have any great varieties of avocados they want to brag about??? haha. I have most of the year coverered with my Bacon, Jim (newly planted), Fuerte, Hass, Gwen, Pinkerton, and Lamb Hass. I love all of them for different reasons. I like growing many vaieties....just cause it is fun...ha.

The following thread was started by Ed on April 07, 2009 at 2:27 pm PST

maybe soon

My coworker says he has an avocado tree growing that produces large avocados and lots of it, after only a few years grown from seed. Apparently its grown by its own and doesn't need a pollinator. I'm trying to get some scion wood to graft and see if it really produces. He's cut it down to the ground several times already and its grown back up.

The above followup was added by Tony on April 07, 2009 at 2:29 pm PST.

Sir Prize

The "surprise" to this variety is that I can't find it anywhere in Ventura County. I thought it might be a good stab....but nada so far. The avocado society is doing a great job convincing folks that the Hass is the "only" avocado. I don't think so...

The above followup was added by Ed on April 07, 2009 at 2:34 pm PST.

Sir Prize

Brokaw nursery shows 70 Sir Prize available Spring 2009. They are in the Toro Canyon nursery, not affected by the root rot found in a small part of the regular nursery.

The above followup was added by Jack Swords, Nipomo on April 07, 2009 at 2:46 pm PST.

Also on Dusa

They also have the Sir Prize on Dusa

The above followup was added by George on April 07, 2009 at 6:32 pm PST.

Jim avocado

Ed

I was curious as to where you bought your Jim avocado ? I had one several years ago at my old house and had to leave it behind when I moved. Have not seen it for sale since then. I have been seeing Ettinger alot lately at home depot and lowes and orchard. I almost bought one but after talking to Julie Frink decided not to. I did just pick up a Zutano and Pinkerton. I have in my collection now Mexicola , Mexicola Grande, Stewart, Duke , Holiday , Wertz, Lamb hass, Reed, Schindler, Pinkerton, Zutano Nabal, Stearns. I am starting alot of rootstock to graft next year. I would like to graft up alot of the old heirloom varieties. Does anyone here know of a source for Creamhart ?

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on April 07, 2009 at 9:01 pm PST.

"Jim"

William...first of all...you will love your Pinkerton. It peels easily, is long-necked, and has great flavor. It fills in before the Hass. LaVerne Nursery has a few "Jim", but you must get either Green Thumb Nursery (Ventura) or Home Depot (Camarillo) to order them. They can do this. I would love to find a Nabal. Is yours good William???

The above followup was added by Ed on April 07, 2009 at 9:38 pm PST.

Nabal Avocado

Ed

While I do have nabal , it is rather small and not fruiting yet. But years ago my wifes uncle retired from the postal system and was asked to manage his mother -in - laws avocado ranch in Carpinterta. I remember visiting him and he took us on a tour of the orchard. There were many really old large avocado trees . I remember him pointing out the nabal variety and picking about half a grocery bag of these for me to take home. The nabal is a very good variety and I can hardly wait until it gets old enough to give fruit. A funny thing too is that while we were out looking at the avocados , he pointed out a cherimoya tree to me. At the time I was not into growing rare fruit and didn't know what it was. My how times change. LOL Perhaps in a couple of years from now we can trade scionwood if you would like.

William Visalia Ca

The above followup was added by William on April 08, 2009 at 5:26 am PST.

Avo varieties

William....that would be great. I am presently soaking some "Bacon" seeds for rootstock. I would prefer Duke because of its RR resistance....but you take what you get. My heavy clay is a constant threat for me. I was a fireman in Venice, Ca for many years. There was an ancient avo tree that the owner encouraged us to pick (with our ladders) because she could not reach them. I think it was a Nabal. They were gigantic, rough skinned, and delicious! They bear alternate. Is Sir Prize a good one??? PS Was your Jim at your old house good fruit?

The above followup was added by ed on April 08, 2009 at 7:01 am PST.

rainbow Nursery

Has anybody been to Rainbow Color Nursery? It looks like they may have lots of hard-to-find avo vaieties....at least on their website.

The above followup was added by ed on April 08, 2009 at 8:09 am PST.

Clonal Rootstocks

Clonal rootstocks can be produced by topping the rootstock at ground level. The new shoots are encouraged to elongate by mulching around them. The elongated shoots are then rooted.
It is likely the large growers are now using micro-propagation.
George

The above followup was added by George on April 08, 2009 at 8:42 am PST.

Sir Prize avocado

Would someone please give info on sir prize avocado ? History, fruit traits etc, Also Nabel, Thanks

The above followup was added by Kerry on April 15, 2009 at 1:56 pm PST.

Source for sir prize info

Go here http://www.brokawnursery.com/ then click on the "varieties" button and find "sir Prize"

The above followup was added by george on April 15, 2009 at 5:52 pm PST.

Sir Prize description

The original 'Sir Prize' mother tree was planted April 1986 at Mr. Bob Lamb's orchards, Camarillo, California. The tree was first tested in the spring of 1991 and currently has been expanded for testing in commercial growing areas throughout the California industry. 'Sir Prize' originated from an open-pollinated breeding cross with 'HX48' avocado as the maternal parent. The 'HX48' was itself a 'Hass' seedling, thus the 'Sir Prize' can be described as a "grandchild" of 'Hass'.

The 'Sir Prize' avocado has several distinguishing characteristics that make it commercially valuable: 1. The appearance of 'Sir Prize', although significantly different from 'Hass', is more 'Hass'-like than any previous commercial avocado of its type. When ripe, both the black color of the skin and the pear shape of the fruit will lead most consumers to recognize it as 'Hass', or at least a "Hass"-type. 2. The season of maturity averages 6-8 weeks earlier than 'Hass' in any one location. 3. The overall fruit size is larger than 'Hass', and size increase occurs earlier in the season, making early-season maturity even more important. Currently large-sized, early-season, 'Hass'-type avocados like 'Sir Prize' command premium returns to growers. 4. 'Sir Prize' is primarily classified as a Mexican-race avocado. Mexican race avocados are typically more cold resistant and are, therefore selected for inland valleys and other regions unsuitable for 'Hass'. Cold tolerance is currently being tested. 5. Early production data indicate a heavy yield potential. 6. The flower type is '13% the compliment of 'A' ('Hass'). Commonly avocados of the W-type are used for enhancing pollination of 'Hass'.

The fruit is pear shaped with a distinctive ridge along one side. The extent of the ridge is slight to moderate and becomes almost unrecognizable as the fruit loses moisture during the ripening process. Fruit size is significantly larger than 'Hass', averaging greater than 350 grams on juvenile trees. This large size is recognized as favorable in the early- season market period. The skin texture is a medium-minus, and not truly pebbled like 'Hass'. Although the skin is flecked with numerous tiny islands of varying yellow shades, giving the illusion of 'Hass'-like pebbles. The skin thickness is fine-plus, similar to the commercial variety 'Fuerte'. This skin thickness is commonly referred to as "thin" as compared with the "thick" 'Hass'. The skin is pliable and separates easily from the flesh. The flesh color is similar and indistinguishable from 'Hass'. Flesh fibers are few and insignificant. The seed size is described as "small", with an average seed to fruit ratio of 10-12%; comparable 'Hass' ratios average 15% or higher. The flesh quality is considered excellent, equivalent with 'Hass'; exceeding 'Hass' during the early-season period. Preliminary postharvest handling features appear promising and should be "more than acceptable."

'Sir Prize' is upright in tree form, although this character can be influenced by pruning. The leaf type and shape is more typical of the Mexican race avocados than 'Hass'. Young leaf anthocyanin pigment is present varying from light to moderate. No anise fragrance has been detected in the stems or leaves. Peak bloom period is earlier than 'Hass' by several weeks, the flower type is 'B'.

The above followup was added by George on April 19, 2009 at 12:54 am PST.

Best Avo

I have started some seedlings from a tree that is in Ventura at my Mother's house. The tree was planted around 1946. The tree is huge and has the largest avocados I have ever seen (I am almost 60). Don't know what they are, but I would love to. Fruit ripens to a dark purple-black. Shiny and mostly smooth, but sometimes slightly pebbly skin. It is huge! flavor is excellent, it is not stringy at all. They bruise easily, maybe because they are so big. I don't think the tree has too many seasons left, it does not produce like it used to. My Dad always said the fruit wasn't a commercial success because it was difficult to transport due to the size.

The above followup was added by Jude24 on June 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm PST.

Looking for a Nabal Avocado Tree for my back yard

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a Nabal and Fuerte avocado tree?

The above followup was added by Stephen Lownes on July 04, 2009 at 4:17 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Fruits, Rare Fruits and Exotics forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:20 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login